Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old October 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Hi From ALberta.

Hi everyone, I am just in the process of getting a new puppy, and while doing lots of research i came accross the site. I am sure this will be great in any problems or situations i have to deal with in the future. I have one quick question to ask for now, maybe i will get some good answers. I am getting my new puppy next week, he will be 9 weeks old then. I have a almost a week to help get him used to his no home, and start the housing training, name recognition, etc. In the future my new dog will go to work with me everyday. My question is, will he still be too young to start bringing him to work everyday after i have him for 5 days? I work as a field operator in alberta, so he will have alot of time to sleep in the truck, and also play whenever he wants. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi There dewey & welcome to the forum.

what kind of Puppy?

I got our puppy 9wks & also had a week to spend with her (On holidays but I work from home)

I think that first week of bonding is important.

esp with the potty training as for him going to work.

That I am not sure, sounds like alot of fun tho.

I will let others chim in on that.
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Hi Diamondsmum, thx for the welcome. He is a little Border Collie, and i think he will do great , as i do have time to let him exercise at work everyday. Just not sure if he will be able to sleep while i drive around, that is my main concern at the moment. I know the first week is very important, and its gonna be great. Did you crate train yours also? Are you for or against it? Hope you have a great long weekend.
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

yup crate trained her & definately am for it

the first few evenings were hard but then she settled,

It also makes me feel safe That no distruction can occur if I have to step out.

I wonder if a crate in the car would be an idea at least it will keep him from going all-over ya.

Also as long as the crate is secure that it wont fall over he will sleep.

Puppys sleep anywhere (car rides most like them)lol
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

Welcome to the forum! I hope u post pics of your fur baby when u get him.

Debbie
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board!

Make sure that in your travels for work, he doesn't come in contact with any strange dogs until he's finished his vaccinations. That goes for areas frequented by a lot of dogs, even if the dogs aren't there, too (dog parks, etc...)

And yes, pics will definitely be a must when the little tyke arrives.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Thank you all for the welcome. I will definitely post a pic when he gets here on wednesday. No worries about going wear other dogs have been, all he will get to see are wellheads and pumpjacks, lol. I am looking forward to the challenge that he will bring to me, should be barrels of fun.
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:01 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Welcome dewey and welcome soon to the new pup. I am looking forward to seeing pics!
One thing that needs no mention (but I will anyway ) is the need for safety around your work. I hope pup will be leashed all the time when not in the truck. Border Collie's can take off very fast.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:18 PM

Welcome dewey! And congrats on your upcoming puppy! I'm like the others, I can't wait to see pics. And best of luck taking your puppy to work with you, should be a quite a challenge. I'm sure you'll have lots of interesting moments and stories to tell us
Popeye - kitty - 1+ yrs.
Old October 11th, 2008, 06:24 AM

I just thought I'd say that crate training is a good idea ( as long as he/she doesn't get stuck in there for too long at one time.) My parents used it with Shagg when he was a puppy. It didn't take long until he was perfecly house trained and the door was wired permanently open, but the crate stayed. It was his refuge. When he was tired of playing he could go there and nobody would touch him or bother him in any way. It was where he would be sent when he was getting overexcited to wait until he calmed down (all this with commands. As I said once he was housebroken the door was never shut again.) Mom tried taking the crate away once, and he put up such a fuss we had to give it back he didn't even spend all that much time in it, it was just his, and he didn't want it to go.
Old October 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Thats also my plan with the crate, his own spot to have his privacy as well. I am sure he will need breaks from me at times also, lol. I know he is going to keep me on my toes all the time. I also know he will be on a leash at work for a long time outside the truck, lots of coyotes up in the part of the province. Thans everyone for your replies and suggestions, always very helpful.
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:57 PM

Hi all, her is a pic of my new puppy, 8 weeks old today, i thought he was a bit older, lol. He is a very timid dog, not tooo interested in checking anything out at the moment, I am sure he will get more interested tomorrow, only been here an hour yet, hehe. I will let you know how he does.
Attached Images

Old October 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

awwwwwwww

What a cutie!! Diamond was the same first nite..

No worries he will be fine