Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 24th, 2005, 02:16 PM

More Questions Re: Hunter and Oreo, please help

Hello, you may remember me from a few days ago asking about my kitties strange behavior.

As of now I am convinced that Hunter (the older one) is for sure sick and Oreo may or may not be. Hunter has gotten grumpy, been pooping runny poop in places other than the cat box, clingy with me, he seems more lazy but with cats its someties hard to tell, and I suspect he is peeing places because I think I smell it. I have also seen small amounts of blood in stool, I think its his poop and not the kitten's. All this time I thought Oreo was making the icky poop, but it appears Hunter is doing it.

So here are my questions...

1. I have heard of an illness in cats like this, anyone have any ideas what it is so I can research it while I wait for the vet?
2. What is the best type of diet for my cats?
3. What is Holistic Medicine for cats, is it as good as traditional? I ask because it seems half the places in Tahoe are Holostic.
4. Someone posted a bunch of vets in an area once, is there a way to look them all up in my area since I am having poor luck? I am in the South Lake Tahoe area, and I cannot drive toward Sacramento right now but I can go towards Carson City.

Here is my delima, our usual vet wants 200.00 up front, I have only 230.00 left in the bank for nearly 2 weeks, that won't work. The other vet in town wants 100.00 up front, then half of whatever the balance is. The other places in my area are Holistic, I don't know if that works or not. There are a few clinics on the Nevada side I am calling now (I am multi tasking) and I am trying to find some in Carson City where it should be less expensive. I had an appointment on the 3rd of June for the cats, but thats too long to wait, they need to be seen today or tomorrow. I am also calling my mom to ask for money which we would have if we had not had 2 family emergencies in 1 week... when it rains it pours!!!
So please don't attack me for not having them at the vets right now, I would believe me... but things are not going as planned right now. I am trying and I won't give up. If I have not found another solution by tonight I plan to call my girlfriend who lives 2 hours away, she used to work for a vet who can probably help us out if we can get all the way down there. Ugggg!!!! Any suggestions would be great.

If anyone has yahoo messenger my name is tahoetumbaga@sbcglobal.net
AIM is dragontahoe

please IM me if you have information we can discuss. For now I will be calling everyone in the book!
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

If I recall correctly, the younger kitten was ill - and had serious sounding symptoms! Could you not take them to the vet who charges $100 and work out a payment plan? These cats sound like they need immediate attention and meds are the only solution. Unfortunately, in a situation like this, there is only so much you can do for them at home. Did the vet at least give you instructions over the phone? (Mine will do that in a pinch and never charges me anything tho I am a little too overrotective but that is another story!) It is always good to establish a good rapport with a vet when you take your kitten for her/his first visit and work from there. Then, when problems occur, usually something can be worked out.

I hope your kitties will be fine but I am afraid that if you do not take them in soon, they may need emergency care which will be much more expensive. Kittens or cats for that matter are not like humans or even some other small mammals in that they cannot survive long without food or water. They can die in a day if they are sick and not eating. Simply put, they NEED to eat.

If you can force some pedialite into them, that would be helpful. It is not an IV but the only thing you can do until they the fluids by an IV that they need.
Old May 24th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Actually both kitties are eating well... it just comes out the other end in a big mess. The kitten was never the ill one, it was the older cat, still is, but I figure if one is sick they both are. I THOUGHT the icky poop was from the baby, turns out it was Hunter all along.

Symptoms are (older cat)
Pooping a lot and in places he should not be (like on my bed)
Cleaning his nether regions all the time and making funny noises while doing it.
Very Clingy, like a child who is sick, wants to be on me all the time.
Small amout of blood in the very runny and smelly poop
Seems lazy

The baby on the other hand is doing great right now, his poop looks like normal kitten poo, he is running jumping and playing all the time. In fact at this moment he is playing "catch me if you can" with my infant son.

I have called literally every vet place in Tahoe and Carson and NONE of them can make payment arrangments. I have called 2 rescue places who may be able to help, waiting for a call back. If this had just happed last week, or next week I would have money!!!

I almost forgot, the vet that says 100.00 up front wants half of the rest too. Its 100.00 just to LOOK at them (covers the office visit) then half of the balance which was estimated between 200.00 and 400.00 so thats still like 300.00 and I simply don't have it.

Last edited by Tahoe; May 24th, 2005 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Forgot Information
Old May 24th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Oh yeah... One way or another they will see a vey today or tomorrow, I will make SURE that happens!
Old May 24th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

can you talk any of the vets into taking a post dated cheque?

my dog recently got sick and needed vet attention immediately, and I only had 10$ in my pocket.

when I called they told me I needed to pay the bill in full at the time the pup was seen.

however I explained my situation and told them not ahving the dog seen was NOT and option and told them I could give them a post dated cheque.

I sent my husband over with the dog and they diddnt refuse

be as assertive about getting the cat seen as you possibly can, and make it known that it is not an option to wait till you can afford it. because the cat could very well be dead by then.

best of luck!!

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old May 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Yes I have tried the post dated check thing. The only place willing is the expensive vet near our house and they need it post dated for the amount in full for a date less than a week away... still won't help.
A rescue place called, they can pay the frist 50.00
I am in tears here... I don't know what to do. While on the phone with the rescue place Drake (my 9 month old son) rolled off the futon while I was leaning over to get the pen I dropped. He was screaming so bad so I have to call the guy back. My son is fine. But then I went to change his poopy diaper and he has the worst rash I have ever seen in my life, its actually bleeding and I JUST changed him 30 minutes ago. I am a mess now, this sucks!
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Tahoe,take a deep breath,your baby will be fine,probably just a diaper-rash,you have everythhing happening all at once and maybe too much too deal with.
I cannot believe there is not one single vet who would treat a cat who might otherwise die,without $100 up front
Take the $50 from the rescue,maybe they could recommend a vet who is cheaper and will accept a post-dated check...
Good luck to you,your baby and the poor cat :love:
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree re the deep breath. Maybe just show up at a vet recommended by a rescue org and surely to God they won't refuse you. I can't understand $100 up front! That's outragous!! My vet charges $30 for the basic visit. Other fees may be added of course but she is very reasonable. Surely, the rescue groups know of a good and reasonable vet!!

I am sure yoour baby wil be fine!!
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Yay, good news! I finally go ahold of Roundhill Vet Clinic (on the Nevada side) and their office visit is only 30.00 and they are willing to let me pay just 30.00 tomorrow and split the rest into to two post dated checks! We have an appointment for both kitties at 11 am and Oreo is going to just get his vaccinations then as well. I am so happy now! Oh my boy is fine, I was just shocked to open his diaper and see such a nasty rash, I think maybe its an allergy to something, but he has his checkup next week so we can address that then.
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear the good news! Thx for sharing it! Good luck at the vet and with your pediatrician!
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Thank you, I will come back and let everyone know what happens!
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Tahoe,that's good news!! Sometimes all you need to change a terrible day is the new day and strangely everything looks better
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Just a quick update as grandpa is alone in the car with the kids....

OK the vet doesnt know what is going on right now, the stool samples are clean of parasites ect. The kitties are on a prescription food to get them back to normal and on Flagyl in case they ahve something like giardia(sp) which is not coming up on the tests. We go back tomorrow for a recheck and to check new stool samples, and next week for yet another check up and vaccinations for the baby. Thank you all for your support, gotta run!
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:31 PM

I wanted to update again to let everyone know that after just a few hours on the special food and antibiotics my kitties are doing great! They are running, jumping, playing... and NOT pooping on everything! I am supposed to bring new stool samples in toda and I don't even know if I will be able to get them since my kitties are not pooping every 5 minutes now!
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Great,Tahoe!! Thank's for the update...hopefully everything will be clear sailing from now on,the babies diaper-rash included Often what kind of food you feed,makes all the difference.
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Yeah, I am shopping for a new food, any suggestions? They continue to improve also
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Tahoe,I do not know what you are feeding them now,but if the kitten is really young,he should be on kitten-food.
Generally speaking,before you buy any food,check the ingredients,corn should not be in the first 4,or preferably not at all.
Grocery-store foods even Iams(lately sold in grocery-stores)are low quality foods.
We have discussed this issue several times but I cannot find it in the Forum.
Anyways,my own three male cats have dry food 24/7 and get 1/3 of canned food each,morning and night.
They seem to prefer"Chicken-soup-for-cat-lovers-soul"(NO corn)and Nutro Natural,Wellness is great food,but my cats don't like it.
The better foods are more expensive,but I believe you save money on vet-bills in the long run.
There are many more excellent foods,but you will only find them in Pet-supply stores and I assume you have them in Tahoe too.
Since the cats seem to be doing fine now,I would be careful switching foods again,it's a slow process,changing little by little.
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I am going to start a new thread for pet food...