Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 11th, 2005, 10:28 PM

Red face Hi Everybody - I'm new and Bailey and I are looking for friends & help!

I have an adorable (of course) Maltese named Bailey and she is the love of my life. She is 1 1/2 years old and a good little girl, however lately I have had trouble taking her any distance in the car. Little short trips are fine and she really enjoys them, but anything over about 10 minutes and it is like she has an anxiety attack. She starts barking, shaking and pacing. She has actually had a couple of 'accidents' in the back seat as well. I feel so bad for her but I don't know what to do. When I first got her I used to take her to work which involved about a 1/2 hour drive and never had this problem. It just seems to have started in the last couple of months. Anybody out there have this problem or any ideas, I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say. I want to be able to take my little girl on some trips.

Thanks so much
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:27 AM

That is alittle odd, have you had her checked out by the vet? Maybe she's got a UTI and the length of time could be stressing her.... ie: she feels the need to pee, knows she can't in the car, gets stressed out over it, ends up peeing anyway... bit of a vicious circle.
This is just a guess on my part of course as I am in NO way a vet
Is Bailey crate trained? or do you have a carrier that she's comfy in? Maybe you could put her in there and she'll feel more comfortable.
Good Luck, and keep us up to date on how she's doing

by the way WELCOME to the board.... psssst! we like pics
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Welcome!

Welcome to you and Bailey!

I would have to say that something has definitely changed if Bailey used to ride well and all of sudden isn't. A visit to the vet is in order to rule out any physical problems first. One of my dogs used to get car sick, but she was that way from the first car ride til she was about 6 or 7 years old. She never paced or anything, she'd just ralph if she was in the car for more than 15 minutes or so - especially if the road was bumpy!