Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM

Exclamation Genetic Anomalies!? or something else?

A friend of my mothers conspired with my younger sister early this morning to give us one of her cats kittens while my mother was out. This was in the hopes that once it was in our home and my mother had seen it she would allow my sister to keep it.

However herein lies my problem. I noticed right away that this kitten walked with a strange gait. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the kittens hindquarters had no arch and it walked flat footed. It also seemed to have a hard time controlling his back legs and has a slight tremor when moving(not when it sits still for a time or when sleeping). The kitten is quite normal in every other respect except for a tail that is about half the size of any other normal 8 weeks old kitten. Since it's been here it has refused all food and water and has not had any 'accidents' of any kind.

I haven't had a kitten in a long time so I cannot quite remember but it seems to be sleeping an awful lot. I'm not sure if any of this is irregular but I find it quite worrisome.

I did do some research online and I found a website that lists genetic anomalies and one of them was Krabbe disease? It fits the symptoms that it seems to be having. Is that what this poor kitten has? I hope that someone can reply to this ASAP