Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 6th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Sun Block for dogs?

I don't know if this has been discussed before or not, but I did a search and didn't come up with many results. My valley bull has a brindle body with an all white head. You can see the pink of his skin through the fur in some spots because his fur isn't very thick. What I'm wondering is is it safe to use child sunblock on a dog and does anyone do this?
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Use baby sunblock

Although I've never used sunblock on my dogs - I have some friends who have an Italian greyhound and she sunburns really easy but she loves to lay in the sun. They use a spray on sunblock made for babies. Sophie (the greyhound) has never had any reactions to the sunblock. I think they use the spray on kind for convenience, although I have seen them use the lotion as well.
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I use a little on capones nose when I know we will be out for a while in the sun. I have seen his nose go red once or twice so I just dab a little on my finger and rub it on his nose. He usually licks most of it off but whatever is left seems to do the job.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM
<-----nut ball

I was told that anything that is safe for babies or sensitive skin should be ok. Both my BF and I have super sensitive skin, and got one from MEC that is a spray, SPF 30, and is oil free and waterproof, doesn't clog pours, and is hyperallergenic (plus, it smells like mangos!).

I will keep an eye on Odin and if we are out in the sun too long, he will get a few sprays to the face. We also got him doggles to protects his eyes (will put on before spraying), although he doesn't like wearing them yet.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Rubbing on face

I know when Sophie gets her sunblock on, her mom sprays it into her hand and then rubs it on her head and face. I think Sophie is used to it because she'll sit really still while her mom sprays her body and then closes her eyes and lifts her head up when she sees her mom spray it into her hand - she's like - OK I'm ready! I've never seen her lick it off either.
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I apply sun block to my Eskimo's nose and pink tummy. He has a new one made for dogs - comes in stick form.