Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 10th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Diabetic

Diabetic
Can anyone help me I have a Samoyed whi is 9 years old. I took him to the vets last week for his booster injection and every since he has been wetting the floor in the nights (which is not like him). He has always drink a lot of water. I asked a friend of mine whos dog is a diabetic could she bring the kit to test my dogs water. We tested it in the afternoon and it turned orange. I know that when you test urine you should do the first one in the morning. Does this mean that my dog is a diebetic. I also had Ketone sticks in the house so the following morning 1st thing i tested his water but it showed up negitive.

I phoned the vets and told them about his water test and they told me that if I want to look into it further (of course i do as i am only intrested in my dogs health) he would have to go to another part of the vets practise which is 17 mile away for a blood test.

Today my dog has started sneezing, i cannot get him to the vets until Monday as they are closed until then, as anyone got any advice.

Other from the above my dog seems in good health and wants to go out walking all the time.

Thanks
Old January 10th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

A 9 year old dog may very well be diabetic, but there are other things that could be causing his symptoms.

A trip to the vet and some blood tests should give you the answer.
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:36 PM

My dog was diagnosed as a diabetec, his blood was 22.5. The vet has started him on 5 units twice a day of insulin. He also told me that 5 needles would last me a couple of months, surley this is incorrest
Old January 16th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Perhaps u can get clarification from the vet.
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Your vet is the only person who can tell you for sure what's going on with him; but here's some info about diabetes from a good vet site:
http://www.vetinfo.com/ddiabt.html

Could also be kidney problems (you can check that site for kidney issues too) or even some sort of urinary tract infection...?
Hope he's fine over the weekend, from what you post nothing seems life threatening!
Please come back & tell how he's doing after his vet visit...
Old January 17th, 2004, 11:31 AM

I have just come back from the vets, he said that his water test is just over 1%. He is keeping on 5 units twice a day until Wednesday and then will do a blood test to see what the levels are before they up the insulin

Sue
Old January 17th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

How about a diet adjustment? Have they discussed that with you?
Old January 17th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Five needles will most definetly NOT last a couple months. Those insulin needles should only me used a maximum of twice. The needle will get dull and it will be harder to inject with it, as well it could get contaminated and you could be introducing bacteria under your dogs skin. You can get your vet to order a box for you. We use the Cansulin brand, but I'm sure they are all good, as long as they are for insulin specifically cause the needle is quite small (30 gage I think?).

You need to start him on a special diet like Luba said.

I did a thesis essay on diabetes in the companion animal, if you're interested in reading it, let me know.
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:50 PM

I have taken it upon myself to purchase more needles and am using new ones every time. I seen an article on the internet showing the state a needle gets in after use.

Pichiz
If at all possible I would like to read the thesis you done on diebetes as the more I can learn the better chances the dog will have. The vet told me to keep him on the same diet as what he has been used to, but I have started altering his diet gradually to a high fibre diet.

Thank you all for the advice

Sue
Old January 19th, 2004, 05:14 PM

I posted it here. It's called COMM150-ResearchPaper.doc

http://www.geocities.com/pachiz/
Old January 21st, 2004, 02:35 PM

Pachiz

I have just read your thesis, i found it very good with a lot of information, and understanding into diabetes.

I have just come back from the vets and Zaks blood is 22.7, but the vet said that as the dogs insulin was due within 1 hour that was not to bad. He has asked me to take Zak back at 10am on Tuesday morning so he can have a look at his blood 4 hrs into the insulin.

He has also upped his insulin to 7.5 units twice a day from 5 units twice a day, I still think this is a bit low for a 23K dog, but hopefully we are going in the right direstion.

Sue & Zak