Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Nashville warbler

Name:  Nashville warbler 5-16-10 B2a.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  Nashville warbler 5-16-10 A2a.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  Nashville warbler 5-16-10 D2a.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  80.0 KB

You can even see some of the chestnut on top of the head in that last shot, but it's not usually visible if the birds are up in the trees.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wilson's warbler

Notice the black cap. They're sort of similar to male goldfinches, but goldfinches have black wings and tail that the Wilson's warbler lacks.

Name:  Wilson's warbler 5-16-10 D1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  Wilson's warbler 5-16-10 C.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  Wilson's warbler 5-16-10 A.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  31.9 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Bluebird and Eastern phoebe

This Eastern bluebird mama is checking out our bluebird house while papa watches from a little way off. Normally they nest at the in-laws' next door--maybe the bear scared them away? Anyway, she's busily stuffing the new house with nesting material. Only time will tell if they decide to stay there...

Name:  Eastern bluebird fem at the house 5-15-10.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  Eastern bluebird male 5-15-10.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  78.5 KB

This is an Eastern phoebe after a successful bug chase. Yum.

Name:  Eastern phoebe 5-15-10 B.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  36.9 KB

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ruby-throated hummingbirds

Name:  Hummingbird male 5-16-10 F1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  Hummingbird male 5-16-10 A.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  Hummingbird male 5-16-10 K.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  33.5 KB

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Name:  Hummingbird male 5-16-10 L.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  Hummingbird male 5-16-10 J.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  Hummingbird male 5-16-10 I.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  35.2 KB

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

hazel those pictures are absolutely glorious!! beautiful birds and shots!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM
You can call me DOG!

So how did you get all these birds to pose in a studio?

The Ruby-throated Hummingbird look like he eloquently placed himself on fence inside a photo studio!

Hazel; All your pictures are absolutely stunning and it truly looks like they're all posing for you. I specifically like the one of the blue bird. I see many Blue Jays here but rarely a blue bird.

Amazing pictures Hazel.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Aw, that eastern bluebird photo makes me want to put up some birdhouses. I'll have to look up some designs for common birds around here. Kinda think the sparrows might steal all the housing though lol. I see eastern bluebirds at my feeder but the sparrows are definitely in larger numbers around here.

That male rubythroated hummingbird has great colors. Nice pics .
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thx, guys. I have more from the weekend...just been too tired to post them. I've discovered a secret about photographing birds. Sit down...and hum or sing. The birds don't find either activity threatening, although the neighbors may have you committed.

Old May 20th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

You may have already posted pictures of these birds before and I didn't see them, but what are the little electric blue colored birds that I keep seeing? The males are the bright irridescent blue color and the females are brown (I think, haven't seen them super close). I tend to see them in male/female pairs. Are they some kind of finch? They're really small.
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The sound like indigo buntings, MBIE. We have some around here, too, but when they see the camera, they play hard to get, so I don't have any decent pics.

Old May 21st, 2010, 01:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you. I do believe that's what it was. I looked at that bird site I posted and the only similar bird I found was a blue bunting, which is not found in this region.

I really really need to clear my memory card on my camera and get another one then go bird watching. Actually I'm going camping hopefully tomorrow, so maybe I'll take it then
There are truly a lot of birds in this region due to the dense forests and varying habitats, and these indigo buntings seem to be quiet populous at the moment. My mother in law said her friend has them all over his feeder and he feeds the little black oily seeds (I'm assuming she meant the black sunflower seeds). She thought they were eastern bluebirds at first, but then realized they're smaller and without the orange belly.
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:52 AM
-

You gotz me drooling again Hazel

I've been doing a bit of reading

The Rufous-sided Towhee apparently is an occasional visitor to these parts......never in my case

American Redstart is not a field dweller......I live in farm country

Ditto for the Blue-winged Warbler

Question: on your Bluebird house, why do you have the length of pipe attached to the opening

Still no sighting of Hummingbirds

Other than the Tree Swallows still no takers for the other houses in the yard.

One house (not made by Pepe) lost its roof
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The blue-winged warblers may be in the wooded lots between fields, Chris. I find a lot of them in that kind of habitat here.

Tree swallows are good! I love tree swallows! There is a pair here that I occasionally see bugging high overhead, but they don't nest too close to us. They've probably found a natural cavity in the woods somewhere.

The pipe is a predator baffle. It just makes it more difficult for raccoons and snakes to get at the nest. And it's not 100% effective, but it will certainly help. The other box that they started out in did not have a baffle and I think the raccoons got to the eggs.

How did the roof come off the house?

Old May 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
You gotz me drooling again Hazel

I've been doing a bit of reading

The Rufous-sided Towhee apparently is an occasional visitor to these parts......never in my case

American Redstart is not a field dweller......I live in farm country

Ditto for the Blue-winged Warbler

Question: on your Bluebird house, why do you have the length of pipe attached to the opening

Still no sighting of Hummingbirds

Other than the Tree Swallows still no takers for the other houses in the yard.

One house (not made by Pepe) lost its roof
Sounds like you'll need to do some travelling to find the birds you wanna see.

I don't see a ton of variation right around my house, but I'm lucky to have lots of wildlife areas around here that I can go to.

If you can't spot any birds at least you can come to hazels thread and see them
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We need some pics of the buntings, MBIE! I hope you can get some! I set up the blind to get some this morning and was skunked!!! Skunked I tell ya!! They waited till I'd left the blind and went up on the deck to groom the dogs and then they came to the feeder I had been staking out.

They're such little smart@$$es, those buntings!

This thread was actually Chris's idea, but she didn't want to start it herself for some reason.

Old May 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I definitely will be able to get some bunting pics when I go outside of town again. There are a TON of them.

They may not be the greatest though because I need a telescopic lens which I can't afford right now
Between all the animal health problems lately, and Morgan (the new puppy - that's what we named her ) needing her vaccinations and a checkup, and my husband's truck needing fixed, we're just flat out broke right now.
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hear ya! I know someone with a ton of long lenses she never uses. Now I have lens envy! But when I priced them out-- Ouch!

Vet bills always have priority at our house...

Old May 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I hear ya! I know someone with a ton of long lenses she never uses. Now I have lens envy! But when I priced them out-- Ouch!

Vet bills always have priority at our house...
What sucks is I have a ton of high quality expensive lenses that we inherited from my husband's dad when he passed away, but my digicam doesn't take the standard sized lenses, and I really have no clue how to use the camera those lenses go with.
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That would be frustrating. Is your Dad's old camera a digital also? Or is it an old 35mm SLR?

Old May 21st, 2010, 07:36 PM

Hazel - I forgot to tell you how much I liked your warbler pictures.
MBIE - I feel your pain. I bought myself a digital camera without realizing how much I would like taking bird pictures. Now I REALLY want a longer lens, but they are expensive, even some of the older second hand film SLR lenses. What kind of camera do you have? Have you thought of saving up for a third party lens? (I have) They are a lot cheaper than the big brand name lenses.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:41 PM

Now, my turn for pictures. First, a sparrow from a walk in the dog park, plus a Red Admiral butterfly (a thread full of things with wings seemed the right place for this guy)
Attached Images

Old May 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM

We drove by a park near the river and saw goslings, so we went back today and I got pictures of several different birds. First the male mallards, and a female (mallard?) and her brood of ducklings. The mallards on our river have interbred with domestic ducks so some of them look a little strange.
Attached Images

Old May 21st, 2010, 07:47 PM

A second family of ducklings I accidentally scared out from under the dock. (I walked on the dock not realizing they were under there and they ran out into the river.) It is amazing how well camouflaged they are when they sit still on the rocks. And the geese.
Attached Images

Old May 21st, 2010, 07:50 PM

A gosling taking a drink and another unidentified bird that came to take a bath.
Attached Images

Old May 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM

Geese landing together. It looked like they were about to collide but they managed to come down safely. There's a big concrete tunnel running under the road that lets the water go under the road. There were all kinds of swallows going in and out, using the small pipes on the side of the tunnel for nests. (I didn't go too close to those because I didn't want to disturb them, didn't realize there were nests until I was in the tunnel.) I stood in the tunnel mouth and had swallows fly by no more than a foot away from me, amazing. They move quickly, but I did get these pictures. Its hard to see but in the last picture the bottom swallow is carrying a bit of straw or twig in its beak.
Attached Images

Last edited by ownedbycats; May 21st, 2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: forgot pictures.
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nice pics, obc! That looks like a great park!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Now, my turn for pictures. First, a sparrow from a walk in the dog park, plus a Red Admiral butterfly (a thread full of things with wings seemed the right place for this guy)
The sparrow is a song sparrow. Nice butterfly, too!

Quote:
First the male mallards, and a female (mallard?) and her brood of ducklings.
It does look like a female mallard. The ducklings are so cute!

Quote:
A gosling taking a drink and another unidentified bird that came to take a bath.
I think your mystery bird is a female red-winged blackbird.

That gosling is beyond adorable!

Quote:
There were all kinds of swallows going in and out, using the small pipes on the side of the tunnel for nests. (I didn't go too close to those because I didn't want to disturb them, didn't realize there were nests until I was in the tunnel.) I stood in the tunnel mouth and had swallows fly by no more than a foot away from me, amazing. They move quickly, but I did get these pictures. Its hard to see but in the last picture the bottom swallow is carrying a bit of straw or twig in its beak.
I love swallows! The throats look white enough that they are probably bank swallows, though they could also be rough-winged swallows. Must've been neat to see them whizzin' by you coming out of the culvert!

Old May 21st, 2010, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
That would be frustrating. Is your Dad's old camera a digital also? Or is it an old 35mm SLR?
It's a 35mm. Not digi. It's really old but it was well taken care of an expensive when it was bought, I'm sure it's still worth quite a bit now. My father in law knew how to use it, but my husband doesn't and neither do I. We kinda thought about learning to use it, but the digicam is so easy, it makes you lazy.

Quote:
MBIE - I feel your pain. I bought myself a digital camera without realizing how much I would like taking bird pictures. Now I REALLY want a longer lens, but they are expensive, even some of the older second hand film SLR lenses. What kind of camera do you have? Have you thought of saving up for a third party lens? (I have) They are a lot cheaper than the big brand name lenses.
My digicam is a Cannon Rebel. I originally bought it to take pictures of my fish, which it was really good at, but I planned to buy longer range lens also and that didn't happen.
Saving up for ANYTHING just isn't in the budget right now because of several issues. Our savings are pretty much depleted atm.
Not sure what kind of camera the 35mm is. I just know my father in law spent a lot of money on it way back when he bought it. I'll have to look again.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:31 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Everybody's pics are so beautiful

I want to add some, they are not the quality that are being posted, but I am so excited I am going to burst if I don't show them

I have two nests in my front yard . A robin and some type of sparrow.

So far the Robin has 2 eggs, she just started to lay them yesterday so I don't know if she is finished.

Momma sparrow is done and she has 4 tiny eggs

Got this pic, she stayed as quiet and still as can be:
Name:  sparrow.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  51.7 KB

I can't get close to momma Robin, she will fly away.
Name:  robin.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  momma robin.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  50.1 KB

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; May 22nd, 2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:37 AM

MBIE - if your father-in-law's camera is a Nikon some of the newer (but still expensive) Nikon digital SLRs can use the older lenses, though you need to focus manually. Unless you are extremely attached to the camera, have you thought about selling it to someone who still wants to use film cameras? Some people will pay a fair bit for the older lenses if they are the right kind even if they do't want to shoot film.