Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 18th, 2007, 08:52 PM

has anyone else experienced the "attached" feeling from inflammation? I can only feel the attachment when I feel the lump a certain way... if I feel it another way, it doesn't feel very attached.
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMomma View Post
has anyone else experienced the "attached" feeling from inflammation? I can only feel the attachment when I feel the lump a certain way... if I feel it another way, it doesn't feel very attached.
I've felt that with our dogs' vaccinations lumps on occasion. Not sure if it's the same as in cats, though

Try not to mess with it too much, though, or it will get even more inflamed. (I learned that the hard way hazel just doesn't know when to leave stuff like that alone... )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Littlemomma,I understand your worry,I think most of us are worry-warts..
Hopefully it will be found to be just an inflammation,which can be easily treated.
You did the right thing,constantly worrying about what it could be,can drive you up the wall at least you'll have some answers.
For sure we'll be thinking of you and her and for the best result
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM
~Cat Servent~

That everything goes well.

Fagan's lump is still there too, I give it one more week and then I'm off to have it checked too. When she gave the shot this time I thought she put it in an odd spot too, right over the shoulder blade close to the bone instead of in the scruff like usual. Maybe thats why this one is taking longer.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Hi to everyone out there. I'm new - my name's Sarah - and I came across this thread whilst googling vacine related sarcoma.
My cats (3 of them, Barbie, Minnow and Ellie) had their boosters on Friday 26th October - less than three weeks ago. A week and three days after I noticed a lump at the site of the injection on Barbie's neck (in the UK most vets inject into the scruff). A few days later (the Thursday) I found the lump again, and it felt more prominent. I checked my other cats and found one on Ellie - Barbie's kitten.
I took both cats to the vets the day after (two weeks after the vacs) and John the vet (who I know well as I do voluntary work for my local cat rescue) frightened the life out of me - although he is prone to dramatics. He gave me the stats for VAS and the stats for it simply being a reaction, and on Monday both Barbie and Ellie had aggresive surgery to remove the lumps. Barbie's lump had a 'root' on it, that John was worried could be attached. Both lumps were hard, but moveable, and a friend, Mel, whose cats always have reactions, felt the lumps and could easily move them both, including the 'root'.
Its now Wednesday, and my nerves are in tatters. I've got 7-10 days before the results and I know more than I ever needed to know about sarcomas. Both are recovering well, although Barbie (who is about 2 years 5 months) is fed up at not being allowed out, and Ellie (1 year 11 months) doesn't seem to realise she has 13 stitches in her back.
I've found the information on these threads really useful, but even though the stats are in their favour, I can't but help think that one or both will be positive for the sarcoma.
All I can think is that the lumps were removed two weeks and 3 days after vaccination and just hope that that will be soon enough if it is the worse.
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

sarahcat, I don't know any more about these lumps then I've read here, but I wish you luck! I know how it is to worry about them!!! I hope everything turns out well.
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Thank you. I'm just so petrified it will be sarcomas. They've had a rotten start in life - they were rescue cats - and were really perking up. Now this.
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

sarahcat,first off I hope your kitties will be ok and welcome to our Forum
The reason vets here do not give injections in the scruff of the neck anymore,is that in case something like what happened to your kitties would happen.
It's easier and less risky to operate on the leg,rather than the neck.
My cat Vinnie had a long lump,as if the vaccine had stayed in a pocket on his leg(thigh),I was told to massage it lightly and it eventually went away.
If I were you,I would request that any further vaccines be done in the thigh-muscle,not the neck.
Also,it often takes longer than 2 weeks to go away,maybe your vet was a little hasty with surgery.
for no Sarcoma.
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:42 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ya Fagan's July lump went away finally in September! So he was kinda hasty with surgery, but he must have thought it necessary.

I that they were just lumps and nothing more!

And might I suggest that if you are having to keep them in right now, that it would be a great time to transition them to an indoor lifestyle?! It is far safer for them and a lot less strain on your pocketbook. And in a controlled environment you know what they could have gotten into, a cat outdoors faces so many dangers and lately we have been hearing about more and more mystery symptoms in outdoor cats that look like poisonings (accidental or otherwise).

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Thank you Chico.
There is an opinion that the vet was too hasty, however, he scared me so much there's wasn't much I could have done other than go insane with worry. After I had done some research on the net I asked him why he didn;t vaccinate in the leg - its just not common practise over here. I don't know of a single vet who does vac in the leg.
My girls are now sleeping. They are having their drains out tomorrow, although Ellie has just knocked hers and a little fresh blood is on the top of it. Barbie is very cross - mainly with me - as she wants to go out. They are both such affectionate kitties - I don't know what I would do without them.
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Where we live is very safe although I know there are risks with outdoor cats. Ellie's none to bothered about going out, she has her toys. Minnow only sits in the garden or goes to see our next door neighbour. But Barbie loves to be out. I'm sure she would adjust. I just hope that I get the chance to think about whether I should keep them as indoor cats. I don't handle stuff like this very well:sad:
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I've had cats most of my life and for the longest time vets vaccinated in the scruff of the neck,it's just the last few years that my vet has changed it.
As for indoor/outdoor,I know it's common practise in England to let your cats be"free"and many people here feel the same way,often with dire consequences.
I've found cats dead on the road,not something I want to happen to my cats:sad:
My cats(3) go outdoors,but only in our yard and always with supervision,when we go inside so do they,but we are retired,have the time to take the cats outside.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I got the results today - much quicker than anticipated - and they were negative for cancer. No sign as to what the lumps were - poss just fatty tissue.
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

That's good news,wish your vet could have realized that without surgery,but all's good thah ends good
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:11 PM

In the same boat

I just stumbled onto this site while researching feline sarcomas. I am just beside myself waiting to find out if my baby has cancer. I went through this several years ago with my four year old persian. Just weeks after a healthy check up at the vet and his boosters, he came down with leukemia and had to be put down. It was horrible. Now my three year old cat has developed a lump near the site of her rabies shot. The doctor tried to take some cells through a needle, but I'm not sure that she was able to get many. The results should come back this week, but we have already scheduled Chloe (my kitty) for surgery this Friday. The lump is lower on the leg than where the shot was given, which makes me more concerned. It is about the size of a pea and is kind of hard and slips back and forth. If it is cancer and this was caused by the vaccination, I will never forgive myself. I have always suspected vaccines as the cause of the cancer in my Persian, and I have been hesitant to vaccinate my cats because they are indoor and never have contact with other animals.

Chloe had not had her shots in two years, so the vet recommended it. I feel so angry that no one told me the risks or gave me an option. Chloe has to have a hernia repaired (which developed after she was fixed), and the vet is planning on removing he lump. I don't know if I should ask her to simply take a biopsy if the needle biopsies are inconclusive, or should she just remove the whole lump? I keep reading about how important the first surgery is.

I want to believe that this might be only a granuloma, but why was the vet so insistent on removing it right away? That scares me. All I know is that my cat was given a clean bill of health two weeks ago, and now she has a lump and a UTI (which she has never had before). Is it possible for a sarcoma to develop within two weeks? Most sites say that it will develop between 3 months and a couple of years.

How concerned should I be?

Has anyone else had similar experiences and had a good outcome. I can't seem to concentrate on anything (and I have to teach tomorrow), and I can't shake this overwhelming feeling of guilt.
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Stacie,I am sorry to hear about your catthat she'll be ok
I know the feeling of guilt,the feeling of indesicion,should I vaccinate or not??
Before my Vinnie developed a lump at the vac-site a couple of days later,I never knew about sarcomas and my cats were vaccinated every year
This year,with one of my cats(11yr old,with Hyperthyroidism)I declined ANY vacs,strangely enough,the vet did not argue
We do what we think is right for our cats,trusting our vets not to cause any harm,not that they knowingly do,but we should be warned and given options.

I cannot tell you how concerned you should be,we are all concerned and often panicky when it's about our animals,much because of the uncertainty.
Hopefully your worries are unfounded and Chloe will be just fine
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:07 AM
-

Stacie ~ hopefully it will be benign.
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to hear that Vinnie's lump went away.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:41 PM

Surgery tomorrow

Chloe is having surgery tomorrow to remove the lump and fix her hernia. I have been a mess the last two days. She cried the whole way to the vet, little pleading cries. She kept rubbing her head against the cage against my hand, and it broke my heart. After I dropped her off, I got into my car and sobbed for ten minutes. Unfortunately, I had to go to school after that. I just got home around 10:00pm. Needless to say, I'm wiped out. Tomorrow is going to be a long day for me.
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Stacie,Chloe is young and strong,I am sure she'll do fine,but I can sooo understand your worry,that's what we do
for good news
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:40 AM
~Cat Servent~

Old November 30th, 2007, 07:06 PM

I am sure she will be fine like my two were. Statistically, it is unlikely to be a sarcoma. I know that there is still a chance, but its very very very small. As Chloe has had it on her leg it is much better if it is sarcoma than in the scruff - but again, its so unlikely to be anything more than a vaccine reaction. A friend of mine has a cat whose vaccine reaction lump travelled down her shoulder - it moved. Also, if the lump isn't at the vax site, its more likely to be something other anyhow. Sarcomas tend to develop at the site of the injection.
My vet sent me into panic station. I saw him on the Friday then I had a weekend of hell waiting for the ops on the Monday. It is a precaution - but its the right one.
I am sure your kitty will be fine, like my two were. Its now nearly three weeks since their ops. Barbie's fur has grown back well, Ellie's has only just begun to grow back. Both were fine in themselves after the op as well. Ellie groomed too much and got sores on her back, but they are healing. The stitches and drains are out and have healed well. I am positive Chloe will be just as fine.
Everything - fingers and paws - crossed for you.
Coincidentally I'm a teacher too!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:11 PM

Thanks!

Thanks, I am keeping my fingers crossed as well. Chloe is home and doing pretty well. The lump was pretty large. The vet showed me...the size of an olive. The results should be back this week...so nervous! Chloe has been pretty perky and cannot wait to get the cone off of her head (had to put it on because she keeps licking her wounds). She has a hearty appetite,which is good.

One strange thing is the behavior of my other cat. Ever since I took Chloe in to have the lump looked at, my cat Zadie has been hissing at her and wants nothing to do with her. I'm hoping that it is just the smell from the vet or something. They used to be best friends, playing and cuddling together. It makes me sad to see her acting this way. I hope that everything returns to normal soon.

Thanks for the well wishes.
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

My cats are always very mean to the poor babies who are dragged to the vet! I've always just assumed it's the smell but, even though they usually all get along very well, when one of them comes back from a trip to the vet, the others hiss, growl, and are generally very rude about his return!

It usually passes in a day or two. The worst I ever had was when it lasted for about three days. What's terrible is that I feel so sorry for them. Here they have to go to that terrible place (which I'm sure figures prominently in their worst nightmares), and they come back to find they've been ostracized! Talk about mean...

I hope all is well. Let us know how the results come out.
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Stacie,don't worry they'll be friends again in no-time,the cone around Chloes head would also scare the others,I am sure.
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Wonderful news

Sorry for posting this update so late, but the past week has been crazy for me. Chloe's biopsy came back negative for cancer. I was so relieved that I just started bawling after I hung up the phone. She's having some recovery issues, but I can deal with that. My other cat, Zadie, still wants nothing to do with her...bats at her and hisses. I hope that they will work things out. Anyway, the news was a wonderful gift for the holidays. I am never giving her a vaccination again. Thanks for all of your support!
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM
~Cat Servent~

That is great news... congrats! And I'm sure it's just a change in scent that threw them off and they will be back to normal soon. Have a great holiday season!

Old December 15th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Stacie,that's great to hear,my Vinnies lump was much larger than an olive,but went away on it's own.
Hopefully they'll love each other again very soon
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Hi. I'm new, having just found this site this afternoon. I'm trying to stop trembling. I took five of my cats for check-ups on Dec. 29th and rabies vaccines were included. Three of them are fine, but two have lumps.

Everything was fine and then my balinese rescue developed conjunctivitis. I took her today and they discovered a lump where she received her rabies vaccine. It's about 1 cm to 1.5 cm.

I could jump out of my own skin because I was very adamant that I did not want my cats to have these rabies vaccines during my 12/29 visits. The vet was charming and reassuring and adamant that all would be fine. He then shared anecdotal stories of bats coming down the chimney, squirrels coming through living rooms, etc. I still wasn't buying it and then he said, if a mouse gets in your house and the cat gets it . . . So I agreed, even though we've never had a mouse.

I am aggravated with myself for giving in. I'm so scared. I can't eat or relax. He thinks it's a granuloma but it's been almost four weeks and we just discovered this today. What's really irritating is that my balinese rescue was sneezing when I took her in. Because she had a normal temperature, the vet said it would be fine.

I can't forgive myself and I can't bear the thought of losing her. We love her beyond words. They said to bring her & my calico back in two weeks to see if it's still there. To make matters worse, when I returned home, I felt the back right legs of all my cats and my beloved calico (also a rescue) also has a lump. Has anyone had a lump that resolved on its own??

I've cried all afternoon.

Last edited by StaceyLazz; January 24th, 2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

First of all, sit and take a deep breath.

Yes, vaccination lumps can and often do resolve on their own, so don't panic yet. It's scary, but very often the lumps are just benign swellings at the injection site and go away by themselves. However, if you don't think your current vet is investigating as thoroughly as he should, you might want to seek out a second opinion, if only to set your mind at ease.

I know it's worrisome--dogs are less susceptible to this than cats, it seems, but our dogs get them, too, and every time, we worry.

Also, if you start your own thread on this topic, you'll likely get more responses. Oftentimes, older threads get overlooked.

Please keep us posted on how things go!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."