Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Ugh... here we go again! Nanook...

Ok, sorry guys. It must seem that I'm the worlds worst "mommy". My husband was trying to fix a leak under the sink. He pulled the garbage can out and I had just cut a cantaloupe in half, then quarted it. There were 4 sections of rhind in the garbage. He grabbed one and basically swallowed it before I could take it from him. So a possible blockage aside, does anyone know if it is harmful?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Wouldn't he just digest that? You never know, if it doesn't sit well in his tummy, he may try to vomit it back up again anyway. Hope it doesn't cause any trouble, you've had more than your share already.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Wouldn't he just digest that? You never know, if it doesn't sit well in his tummy, he may try to vomit it back up again anyway. Hope it doesn't cause any trouble, you've had more than your share already.
Thank you for the response Goldfields. I'm hoping he will. Was more worried whther or not it was toxic. I called the animal hospital. They said it isn't toxic but there is a good possibility he will develop a blockage, so we need to monitor him for the next 48 hours. I'm praying he doesn't! I just can't leave him alone for even a minute.... He lives up to his nickname, Nookie Monster!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:07 AM

I am hooping that all is well with your dog this am.
when i read your original post, thought you meant your hubby had swallowed the cantalope, and I was thinking WOW he must have been hungry LOL
I need more coffee for sure.
Joan
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

LoL... now that I read my post again I can see how you would think that!! If hubby was the one that did it, he'd deserve whatever happened
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:49 AM

dont worry too much my lovely beau stole a whole cantelope off the counter and ate 3/4 of i,, he didnt want to be too greedy. he was ok just passed the seeds for days on end
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh! Thank you Free
Was so worried about the rhind, and the fact that he almost swallowed it whole (maybe got 2 bites out of it first). I don't mind how long he takes to pass it, as long as it passes!!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

If should pass however do monitor.

My old rottie Ben (RIP sweet boy) consumed pins...about 50 of them. They passed AMAZINGLY with all accounted for without injury. Don't ask how that happened but the funny thing was sifting through the poop to count. My brother in law's dog ate a money clip with 500.00$...his dog passed that as well without incident for the dog...but for the BIL - it was a different story...

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

My first cattle dog pup ripped open a bag of quick setting cement and we didn't know whether she had eaten any. I had to give her enough salty water immediately to make her vomit. She was okay, so maybe she hadn't eaten any, but boy, did she scare me! LOL.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
If should pass however do monitor.

My old rottie Ben (RIP sweet boy) consumed pins...about 50 of them. They passed AMAZINGLY with all accounted for without injury. Don't ask how that happened but the funny thing was sifting through the poop to count. My brother in law's dog ate a money clip with 500.00$...his dog passed that as well without incident for the dog...but for the BIL - it was a different story...

Good luck and keep us updated.
LOL... talk about dirty money, eh?
What kind of pins did he eat, safety pins? Sifting through for all 50, I can't even imagine!
And yes, I will monitor him close. They said if nothing happens in the next 48 hrs, all is well

Last edited by Rgeurts; June 23rd, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
My first cattle dog pup ripped open a bag of quick setting cement and we didn't know whether she had eaten any. I had to give her enough salty water immediately to make her vomit. She was okay, so maybe she hadn't eaten any, but boy, did she scare me! LOL.
LOL, wow... I was concerned because Nanook ate a few pebbles (which passed the next morning!). And I was freaked out over a cantaloupe rhind... Quick set cement, I'd have a heart attack for sure
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Ok, sorry guys. It must seem that I'm the worlds worst "mommy".
Puppies are fast--something is always going to sneak through now and again, so don't kick yourself.

So how is the little devil tonight? Did he ever toss the rind? Still eating, drinking, pooping?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Puppies are fast--something is always going to sneak through now and again, so don't kick yourself.

So how is the little devil tonight? Did he ever toss the rind? Still eating, drinking, pooping?
Yup! He's had 3 normal, solid bowel movements today. He's still got his appetite and is playful and cute. He was watching out the window and enjoying a beautiful thunderstorm with us tonight

3 days now without diahrrea. yay!! First time since we've gotten him
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:38 PM

I know it's not toxic to him but it may be hard to digest. We had a black lab before and he loves fruit. When we fed him cantaloupe, we would find whole chunk of orange colored solids in his poop.
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
That's great news!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Great news .