Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Confessions of an OverProtective Meomy

I confess!! I am too overprotective of my kitten!! As someone with a medical background who has held the hands of inumerable parents and my patients their children (though I have to say I consider the family my patient), I should "know better" too.

Yesterday, someone came in and left the side door to my home open a little too long. It was -12 here at the time and Yin Yin hates the cold - whines loudly in a very insistent Siamese squawk - when she is near an open door or even outside. I can't say I blame her. As I age and am unable to take part in winter sports due to my own medical issues, my feeling about winter has become more grim each year.

Not long after the aforementioned door incident, she started to sneeze. She sneezed four times in a row!! I thought back to all those articles about kitty colds I've read through the years and for good measure, read a few more. I would have called the vet there and then but it was Sunday. I almost called her at home. I wondered about administering her something because well, I know colds are caused by a virus but what is she had caught something. I have tons of pencillin samples. But I don't dole those out to my human patients so why do it with her?

I decided I would watch her and wait to see how she was. I wrapped her in her favourite fleece blanket and made sure she was warm. I made chicken soup and when a little cooled off, I gave it to her.

In the afternoon, there was still some sniffles. I gave her some Rescue Remedy. I also gave myself some. I figured it could not hurt. She was not under stress but I may well have been stressing her out myself with all my fussing!!

She ate well though and so that was a good sign.

I opted to do a workshop with pediatric Residents slated for tomorrow by videoconference so I would not have to travel on the Monday. I did not want to leave her with a pet sitter not did I want to take her out into the cold!

I even figured out what amount of grams of echineachea would be appropriate for her and gave her some of that. I know there are few studies that shows it works but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I know cats manufacure their own vitamin C so she did not get that. (I DO believe in Linus Pauling's theories about vitamin C. The man did win the Nobel prize after all if not for that then at least for something else)

We went to bed - both under the covers, she is her favoutite position where she lies over one of my arms and snuggles next to left side.

This morning, there has been not one sneeze or sniffle!!

What on earth am I going to be like when she has her spay surgery?
Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
IWhat on earth am I going to be like when she has her spay surgery?
A nervous wreck. She probably just sneezed because she got cold air up her wee nose, and there you were ready to call Flight For Life!

How old is Yin Yin? My kitten Egg just turned 8 weeks old, so she's a couple of months from being spayed. My vet doesn't like to vaccinate indoor kittens until they are at least ten weeks old, so I'll talk to him about spaying then.

Is Yin Yin full Siamese? Egg is sort of a muted Siamese colour with faint striping & blue eyes, plus she was born without a tail. I'm glad she doesn't have that Siamese talking thing though!
Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico was sneezing like crazy today,but I think he got water up his nose from drinking out of the tap...I think they probably sneeze for the same reason we do sometimes.Yin-Yin certainly is one pampered lucky kitty!!
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep, I am afraid she is certainly pampered, lol

and yes Carina, she is Siamese. (Seal Point of a Blue point mom and a Seal Point dad, mega pedigrees but I am not getting into the showing thing.) She is four months old - to be spayed at six but I am hoping for sooner. No early spaying here.There are some pix on this thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10794

I will try to be more even during the spay, lol (and I've been invited into the surgery. I wonder if that is wise, lol)
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

She's so sleek and pretty!
I've had a number of cats & dogs spay/neutered over the years. I've learned to be pretty relaxed about it,

Years ago, I had a stray kitten. Some non-cat-savvy friends house-sat for me at Christmas when she was barely 5 months old. They didn't understand the whole cat-in-heat thing, and let her go out when she started howling. She got pregnant & had five kittens....her heat was right about 5 months! Just to warn you...
I found homes for the kittens, and had her spayed right afterwards.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

One thing this forum has lots of experience with - consoling nervous mommies! She'll do fine and so will you! She's one lucky kitty!
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Thx Carina. In spite of how I sound, I am pretty experienced with cats - have hand raised some orphan kittens and had many pets over the years. The last love of my life was a Dwarf Netherland bunny who died at the age of 13 - you want to talk about geriatric bunnies - 5-8 being the mean age. I still mourn him and it's been a year! But now I have Yin Yin to worry about!

Ironically, I can never recall any of my other cats ever contracting a cold. I think YY just came into contact with cold or I may have too many dust bunnies under the bed, lol (Quick, call the exterminators, kidding!) She fine and back to mischef today - typcal kitten stuff, wanting to jump on the dining room table, looking for small spaces to crawl into.
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
I will try to be more even during the spay, lol (and I've been invited into the surgery. I wonder if that is wise, lol)
WOW! I don't think I could be present during a spay....
My girlfriend was a vet tech, the vet she worked for used to allow the 'parents' to be present during a spay or a neuter, until one mommy fainted! Just seeing my little honey unconcious would make me go bananas!!!
Good Luck, and keep me posted!!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."