Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old December 19th, 2017, 05:42 PM

Kitten

I am new i would like to share my story. I have two cats female cat named Chelsea and the other Male Cat Cosmo. Recently Chelsea had two kittens.Everything went well she had her kittens on Thanksgiving. She had them in my son's room. Behind the dresser later i made a box for her and her kittens. She would let me hold them. Mostly when the chuck needed to be change we tried to keep the male cat away from her.
But just last week i went out of town. And planned to be back the next day. My son went to wrk and forgot to close his door. He said when he got home she qas hissing at him and tried to attack him. I asked what happened? He said he did not know a nd she ran after Como trying to attack him. He locked Cosmo in my room but he wanted me to take out Chelsea and her kittens because she has stood at the door hissing. He was scared.
This did not seem like her. I came home talk to her told her to follow me. As she brought out the kuttens to me. Because she had moved her kittens under the bed. I took them put them in the box into my room.. She was ok until i looked at the kittens in the box she hissed at me. I held my sweather up first reaction was to throw the sweather on her and run but i kept telling her take it easy i will not harm your kittens finally she calmed down.
But just before that my son came home took Cosmo put him in my room. She came out my son had his hand on the door she jumpped up to attack his hand hee let go of the door Cosmo cam out she wanted to attack him he ran and hid she made this aweful sound and then ran up to my son trying to attack him. It was funny later because he look like he was doung the Jig.
I talked to her to get her into my room she was not sure she wanted to go .she always listened to me i said what about your babies and she went in. That night she was in the box with her kittens. The next day she moved them to the back of my tv. Every time they would come out she would carry them back.
I would rub her play with her. I noticed when it was her time to come out of the bedroom she was always crying i figured ot out she wanted me to go back in the bedroom. There are times i want cook clean etc.
Just told her to wait i will go. Last night the kittens came out and she sat on my bed to watch them. As i did too. This morning the kittens came out one was away from the other she picked one up to be near the other.
I figured i gained her trust in me. But our live have turned upside down. I have to call my son i need to get out and do things also to feed her and litter time. Then it is Cosmo turn there are times when she is feeding and my son and Cosmo is out i can associate with my son and i am quick enough to go back and shut the door. To end this story i think Cosmo tried to attack her kitten while we was away and she became protected of her kittens. They were born in my son's room and he also abandoned her. Maybe that explain the attack. And now she is in heat any ideas???
Old December 19th, 2017, 06:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm no expert with kittens and cats, but there is a thing called redirected aggression that might be in play here. Cosmo wouldn't need to attack the kittens--Chelsea would only need to go into protective mode if he came into the room out of curiosity and your scenario would unfold. If she's primed to protect, she'll react aggressively toward anyone--you, your son, Cosmo... I don't think she felt abandoned by your son--it sounds more like she's just overly protective, and I don't think that's too unusual in mama cats with new kittens.

Is there a room where you can isolate her and her youngsters with her own litter box and feeding area and keep them separate from the rest of the household? You may have to put up with some crying if you're not in the room with her when you're getting things done, but she may feel less stressed if her kittens are safe in the room and the neediness may subside on its own.

It's just a temporary solution--your vet may have some better ideas on how to reacclimate Chelsea to the rest of the household. But at this point, you may have to wait for the kittens to be grown and gone before you can work on getting her settled back in.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 20th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Ditto Hazel. The kittens are about a month old now? Still nursing? Things should start to settle down once they are finished nursing but thinking these days is to let them nurse to 12 to 13 weeks old. Let them wean naturally. Of course you are giving them, and Chelsea, kitten food as well. Generally we give the mother kitten food too, she needs more nutrients while nursing.

I have a mother and two kittens of hers that are now 3 years old. Mum cat still rushes to intervene if she thinks a kitten is threatened. I was able to handle both Mum (live trapped feral) and kittens at an early age but let my dog, or worse, a visiting dog, so much as step on or push around one of the younger girsl and Mum cat is right there defending them. They are both bigger than her now. It's amazing to see, kind of nice too.
Old December 26th, 2017, 11:51 PM

Re kittens

Thanks for the reply. The kittens will turn 5 weeks old on Thurs. Chelsea lets them out from back of tv. I do isolate her and her kittens in my bedroom now they climb up on my bed and sleep i put down kitty food for them and Chelsea eats ot one of them will drink water. Still Cosmo was let out by accident. And she charged at him both of them looking at each other hissing i had to put up my son's coat and guide her to my bedroom. When cosmo is in my son's room and she is out she sniffs at the door and visa versa. I just hopes tthis ends soon i get shaken up when thos happens and when can i start to potty train the kitten?
Old December 27th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

If the kitty litter is close enough the kittens will try to use it on their own. You can help them by making sure one side is low enough for them to get over. They will be starting very soon. They might have a few accidents.
Old December 28th, 2017, 02:13 PM

Kitten

Thank you i was thinking about putting it close by because there was one kitten that likes to be close to me as i was lying in bed the kitten moved and i notice it pee on my spread. Thanks again for the info