Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Unhappy My dog keeps my up all night! What do I do?

My 15 year old min pin gets me up at least 2 to 3 times a night to go to the bathroom. Is there anything that I can give her to make her sleep? I have tried melatoin, nyquill, benadryl, Xanax, and taking her water away around 9 pm.
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

You need a vet check.
At 15 yrs your baby has a body thats requires more. You could ask for a blood sugar test, increase in thirst and urination could be a sign of diabetes. Or it is simply that as we age the muscles aren't as tight and can't hold the bladder as long.
This might just be old age. Good luck, maybe others have had similar circumstances and can shed light. We have never been blessed with such a long life for our dogs.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like old age (and what a very good dog for letting you know he needs out).
But as Tenderfoot states, it is best to go in for a vet check up as they can maybe provide you with a good nights rest.
If not, consider yourself so lucky to still have your babe despite having to get up a few times a night. I would do anything to have my Ben back and would gladly get up to let him out.
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Sounds like old age (and what a very good dog for letting you know he needs out).
But as Tenderfoot states, it is best to go in for a vet check up as they can maybe provide you with a good nights rest.
If not, consider yourself so lucky to still have your babe despite having to get up a few times a night. I would do anything to have my Ben back and would gladly get up to let him out.
I so agree! It does sound like old age and you are so very lucky to still have your baby after 15 years! I know she wakes you up but what a good girl for letting you know she needs to pee. If there is nothing wrong with her health, there are dog diapers, and pee pads. I'd check with your vet.

Tags
dog, min pin