Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 6th, 2013, 04:16 PM

Dani's last four questions

1. Have you ever heard of a gentle cat like Dani - a beautiful grey abandoned Persian cat - dying from being microchipped? Dani struggled a little and the vet injected enough tranquilizer to kill him

2. Should a vet not blood-test and examine a street cat before sedating him? I told the vet that I picked Dani up off the streets only two weeks before

3. Why did the vet persuade me to microchip Dani on the same day as the rabies and Felocell vaccine? Is it because he is so greedy for money he doesn't care about the additional risks?

4. The chances of a cat dying from sedation or anesthesia seems to be about 1/800 for a healthy cat and 1/70 for an ill one (scientific studies): do you not think this vet killed this beautiful cat through carelessness and callousness?

Last edited by lawrie; August 7th, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dani, lawrie. Any animal can have an unexpected and lethal reaction to anesthesia. It does happen...but it doesn't make the event any less traumatic or tragic.

I don't know that vaccination on the same day as the microchipping. What is puzzling to me, though, is that sedation was used at all. Here they just inject the microchip under the skin with a needle and no sedation is necessary....

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:40 PM

Don't blame yourself for what happened to Dani. Your actions were that of a responsible owner: getting the vaccinations and microchip.

Here micro chipping is very common and is something recommended to owners... but I have never heard of someone sedating an animal to do it. It's not likely that the microchip killed Dani. It definitely could have been a reaction to the sedation, or even to the vaccinations themselves. Unfortunately, its impossible to know what happened.

Blood work may have shown if there were abnormalities with certain organ functions, but its not a guarantee against adverse reactions.

Micro chipping is safe to do at the same time as vaccinations, as it is simply a subcutaneously placed chip. Animals can feel some discomfort as the needle gauge is quite large, but again, I've never heard of a vet sedating due to this.

I am terribly sorry for your loss
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old August 7th, 2013, 01:28 AM

Thank you both of you!

Thank you both of you for caring enough to write to me and sending me your clear-sighted reactions. I think the vet sedated dani because he wanted to make money immediately from the microchip. It's very rare for cats to die from sedation: so he didn't even think of the risk. I'll never ever ever let a vet do that in front of me again. I got so close to saving dani from a cruel and callous culture. Imagine, a perfect Persian cat abandoned in the streets - the vet's wife and her 'team' trawling the streets once a month with chicken and rice and poison because she is the health control officer - the guards at the gates, a million times crueler than her because the neighbors don't like Life in their nice clean streets: this place is a nightmare. I nearly saved him: but we fell at the last obstacle. I feel so bad about that: imagine dragging dani out dead from under the bed. For an hour i imagined he was still breathing because i couldn't accept he was dead: i never had such a sweet-natured cat and he was so incredibly happy and of course me too that we had found each other at last
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrie View Post
Thank you both of you for caring enough to write to me and sending me your clear-sighted reactions. I think the vet sedated dani because he wanted to make money immediately from the microchip. It's very rare for cats to die from sedation: so he didn't even think of the risk. I'll never ever ever let a vet do that in front of me again. I got so close to saving dani from a cruel and callous culture. Imagine, a perfect Persian cat abandoned in the streets - the vet's wife and her 'team' trawling the streets once a month with chicken and rice and poison because she is the health control officer - the guards at the gates, a million times crueler than her because the neighbors don't like Life in their nice clean streets: this place is a nightmare. I nearly saved him: but we fell at the last obstacle. I feel so bad about that: imagine dragging dani out dead from under the bed. For an hour i imagined he was still breathing because i couldn't accept he was dead: i never had such a sweet-natured cat and he was so incredibly happy and of course me too that we had found each other at last
that is so insane to being putting poison food on the streets , Egypt poverty rate is high from what I understand . A child could pick up the food and eat. I agree that vet had $$$ signs in his eyes and there are vets like this in the states too. It's very sad what happen to you cat. I wonder if that vet was license to practice .
Old August 7th, 2013, 04:56 PM

Thank you so much, Everyone, for your kind and wise words!

Thank you so much all of you: you really helped me so much with your kind and wise words. This is the time to be strong. I can't believe I fell into the clutches of a greedy vet - married to the local exterminator - how could i be so naive? Of course he killed dani with all his 'treatments'. I still have five cats here to defend from these psychopaths and there are more out on the streets of this city: what a nightmarish world we live in, don't we? If it weren't for people like you out there it would all be totally hopeless. Thank you so so so much from me and dani! i mean it