Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 27th, 2007, 03:06 AM

Clamhydia again or worse?

Hi all,

I have a 6 year old cat that seems to have an eye infection. When I got her a year ago she got an eye infection a few weeks later which the vet diagnosed as being clamhydia and gave me Pentamycetin to treat it, which took care of it very quickly.

Now she seems to have another infection, but in addition to the red eyelid, her eye is tearing up and she's sneezing. I remember the vet asking me last time if she was sneezing, but she wasn't so I don't remember what that meant. There haven't been any real changes lately that could cause stress, other than the fact that with the cold weather and added heating, the air in the appartment has become dry, which I'm now using a humidifier for.

I've applied the cream tonight, but should I worry about it being more serious and bring her to the vet asap or wait a few days to see if the cream solves it?
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:19 AM
-

You need to see your Vet ~ plain and simple. Chlamydia is a zoonotic diease which easily passes to humans and can result in infertility amongst other problems for YOU. If she is having a reoccurrence she should be on antibiotics and you should see your own doctor pronto.
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:48 AM

I didn't think that sneezing was a symptom of chlamydia, but I could be way off. It sounds more like some type of respiratory infection and she'll probably need antibiotics...so again, the vet would be your best bet.
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Yesterday morning I called the vet, but they were closed and I was transfered to another vet's emergency line. I guess they were very busy though because I didn't even get time to say that she was sneezing too before the woman said "an eye infection is not an emergency, call your vet on monday" and quite literally hung up on me. Either way, I've been looking on the net to see why last year when she had the eye infection the vet asked me if she was sneezing, and it seems that the sneezing and runny nose and eye are the difference between chlamhydia and URI.
I'm gonna wait until monday night after work to go to the vet though, as if that other clinic actually hangs up on people, I can't imagine how quickly they would "process" my cat. my regular vet is really sweet and actually takes the time to check the cat. Right now she's still eating and drinking, so I think we'll be ok until tomorrow. If she gets worse though, I'll find another emergency vet.