Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:01 AM

I have a 3-4 week old guinea pig bought from a register breeder

Hi everyone I'm new to this site as of today and I'm seeking info I just brought home a 3-4 week old teddy bear guinea pig from a registered breeder he's heathy and weighs the proper amount! "Ted" my baby male guinea pig I only bought him and my hubby will only allow one will he be ok without a cage mate?
I'm a stay at home mom and once he gets bigger I'm getting him a c & c cage for our loving room so he gets a lot if attention from the family if anyone has any info or recommendations for him please let me know and please keep in mind were only allowed one cause my hubby don't really like small animals he let me
Get him cause me and the kids wanted one!

Ted is so cute and right now he's the size of my hand he's small cause he's only a baby.
***Also I was wondering if there's anyone out there that can give info about his loud chirping is there away to control that causes don't want the hubby to tell be to get rid of him cause I'm already attached to my piggie! He doesn't chirp to loud yet but I wanna see if there's away to control it let me know please any info would be great!

Is yesterday's newspaper needing ok for him? Or what would you recommend? I have Timothy hay and veggies and fruit and pellets he's spoiled and will have two cages!
Attached Images

Old March 7th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I really don't think there is anyway to get your guinea pig from chirping, they are very noisy little creatures . Maybe someone here does have some suggested for you. Another mate might help .
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Guineas are indeed very vocal. They are much like children; vocalizing when they are happy, sad, lonely, scared,etc Adding another pig to the mix shouldn't make any difference... other than adding another voice to the mix.

Guineas on Yesterdays News can sometimes be an issue, watch to make sure your pig isn't eating/nibbling on it. If he is you should switch the bedding.

They cannot produce Vitamin C, just as we cannot. As a result, they can get Scurvy. I find it more reliable to purchase chewable Vit C tablets from your local pharmacy, crush them, and sprinkle about the equivalent to 1/4 of a tablet onto the food.

Fruits and veggies are great. Make sure you consult a list of what would be poisonous to your piggie, as there are a couple of things to avoid (Guineas are prone to bloat and the fruits and veggies fed to them can play a huge role in this). Another thing to note is too many fruits and veggies can cause diarrhea.

Guinea pig teeth are constantly growing. You should supply wood chew toys for him to wear them down on.

Keep in mind that they also need their toenails trimmed regularly... a lot of people tend to neglect that.

I think I answered the questions you had... plus added a couple important facts about Guineas... Hopefully that helps you out He's a cute pig and I'm sure he'll grow on your husband
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome to the forum fawn81!

LOL - that l'il pig is sooo cute!

My advice is start training your husband, lol. When he shows Ted some affection, give hubby some attention/reward as well.
That will mellow hubby out.

here is an article plus two previous threads that may prove to be helpful.

and please be prepared to post more pics of this cutie

http://www.pets.ca/exotic/articles/v...d-guinea-pigs/

Guinea pigs and summer heat - http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71334
Guinea pig questions - http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67756
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 8th, 2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digston View Post
Guineas are indeed very vocal. They are much like children; vocalizing when they are happy, sad, lonely, scared,etc Adding another pig to the mix shouldn't make any difference... other than adding another voice to the mix.

Guineas on Yesterdays News can sometimes be an issue, watch to make sure your pig isn't eating/nibbling on it. If he is you should switch the bedding.

They cannot produce Vitamin C, just as we cannot. As a result, they can get Scurvy. I find it more reliable to purchase chewable Vit C tablets from your local pharmacy, crush them, and sprinkle about the equivalent to 1/4 of a tablet onto the food.

Fruits and veggies are great. Make sure you consult a list of what would be poisonous to your piggie, as there are a couple of things to avoid (Guineas are prone to bloat and the fruits and veggies fed to them can play a huge role in this). Another thing to note is too many fruits and veggies can cause diarrhea.

Guinea pig teeth are constantly growing. You should supply wood chew toys for him to wear them down on.

Keep in mind that they also need their toenails trimmed regularly... a lot of people tend to neglect that.

I think I answered the questions you had... plus added a couple important facts about Guineas... Hopefully that helps you out He's a cute pig and I'm sure he'll grow on your husband

Thank you for the wonderful info
Old March 8th, 2013, 01:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a cute little piggie, Fawn! I hope you'll indulge our picture addictions and post more! It'll be fun to watch this little tyke grow up!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 8th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

He is rather cute! To say the least. Sorry no info from me, never had one, but good luck to you with hubby and piggy.
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope the breeder is right about it being a boy. I got my daughter 2 hamsters
and I was told they both where boys. So I sure was suprise to wake up one day and see 14 babies hamsters in the cage!