Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

can a change in protein cause diarrhea?

I know ive been here before with my issues of changing Rolands food bit im still having problems. he still has very soft poop, but with intermittent normal ones!!! i have stopped everything except his kibble now to see if that helps. :sad: unfortunately i am not there to see how hes doing and try something different but i am giving my ex instructions. Someone mentioned that it could be the different protein (from mainly chicken to mainly lamb) thats causing it. if this is the case, will he get used to it or should i find a chicken based one again? (if it persists i will take him to the vet on monday!!) my only issue is that it wont be me doing the change over and im a bit of a "i want to do it so i know how its being done" kind of person....
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:59 AM

A change in protein can cause a sensitivity for sure. Cats digestive systems vary, and every time you change a food, you are changing the flora in their system. Acidophillus, non dairy is helpful for that. As well, much as its a pain.. may want to try introducing any new food more slowly, over a period of 14 days or so starting with a 1/4, then 1/2 old 1/2 new, then 3/4 new 1/4 old. Sometimes a cat just takes longer to adapt. I know cause I have experienced it first hand.
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM

i took the 14 days but now hes straight on it for about two weeks. im at a loss as to what to do. hes had yogurt adn digestive enzymes since the start of the change but i had that stopped yesterday to see if maybe it would help. its SOOOOO frustrating that between Neutro, EVO and Solid Gold, only the Neutro didnt give him a yucky tummy. go figure. hes not going back on that though. i need to find a healthy one thats kind of that same as the Neutro, only better.
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM

Which Nutro?
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM

I'm wondering if it's fish...

Maybe this bugger might help:
http://www.californianaturalpet.com/...ault.asp?id=72
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks Prin.
its was the Neutro Natural choice kitten.
it seems to be a bit better now hes off the yogurt but i guess i will have to wait for a couple more days to see if it stays better. he did like the california natural tester, but if it doesnt get better i may try the Orijen again as when i tried to change him to that he ate it straight with no side effects but liked the Neutro more. argg its a great big frustrating world of food out there!!!