Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 24th, 2006, 12:11 AM
-

Onions

Logan just ate at least half a raw onion !!!!

i know it`s MY FAULT.... I only turned my back for a minute.

He seems to be alright so far (3hours ago). One of my neighbours said that her "Dr. Pitcairns" book says that raw onions (in small amounts) are good for a dogs digestion.

I`ve tried "googling" but can`t find the "toxic amounts" for onions.

Does anyone know? Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Performance Spaniels

I found this googling.. It says a cup or more of onion or more liek a whole onion..

Question: Dr. Richard's,
Thank you for your help with past questions and creating this web site.
I have a question about onions and dogs. I read somewhere onions are
poisonous for dogs yet onions are often ingredients in dog treats. Is it just
raw onions that are so dangerous? What about meat that has been cooked with
onions is this dangerous?
What are some things that are toxic for dogs besides chocolate and onions?
Also I own several cats are there foods toxic to them as well?

Kim

Answer: Kim-

Dogs develop hemolytic anemia if they eat enough onions. I don't think that it matters too much
whether the onions are cooked or not. The quantity of onions required is high enough that dogs
can generally tolerate small doses of onions without any problem and moderate amounts of
onion without clinically apparent disease, even though there may be measurable changes on lab
test results. Cats are probably a little more sensitive to onion toxicity than dogs are. I can't find
an exact quantity of onions required to cause toxicity problems in dogs, but there are several
case reports of onion toxicity and they involve whole onions or sizable portions of chopped
onions (like a cup or more). I think that feeding dogs meat that has been cooked with onions is
pretty safe but you might want to avoid giving them the broth from around something like
pot-roast if there were a lot of onions used in the cooking, just to be safe.

Large amounts of garlic will produce similar toxicity problems in both dogs and cats. I think that
the amount required is not likely to be eaten by a cat but there are probably a few dogs who
would lap up a container of spilled garlic.

Among common foods, the only other significant toxicity that I can think of are recent reports of
toxicity from eating grapes and raisins that have been reported in dogs.

Mike Richards, DVM
11/15/2001

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtoxin.h...s%20and%20cats
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:48 AM

Boo ate two layers of an onion and started throwing up.. I don't think it takes too much onion.
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:54 AM

But Boo has a sensitive tummy, doesn`t he? I used to give my dog hamburger grease that was cooked with onion (before I knew onion was bad) and she never had a problem. She had a cast-iron tummy though, could eat about anything. I would hope Logan will be ok since its just the one time (I forget if he`s a large or small dog, that might make a difference too), but he might vomit it up sooner or later.
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:31 AM

Shhh!! Yeah, he does, but this was unusually quick, even for him. Usually he gets sick a few days later and it lasts a week.
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:07 AM

I always wondered how much onions it would take. No accidents yet. Except once when a visitor left a chocoloat cake box on my dining room table. I was outside and got a flash image of that box left on the table and ran back inside...too late the cake was gone, the dog was in chocolat la-la land! I must've called half a dozen vets who told me to keep an eye on him for developing symptoms. Turned out ok.
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I used to also give my dogs the broth or grease with onions, no problems..but after hearing it was bad..I backed off the onions..and the chocolate..reminds me of a Christmas when my brother in law brought home made chocolate covered cherries...the humans ate 4...moms Dandi Dinmont and my Samoyed/X ate the rest at least 8....no problems other than panicked humans! I think mine startted it as she also ate 1/2 cup of M&M;s at one time..chocoholic like her mom
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Living in Chaos!

Sammie ate a bowl for of Lindor chocolates a couple of years ago. No ill effects.

Anyway, this isn't helping Rainbow. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about onions. Good luck.

liSa - Animal slave 09/27/1972
Alicia - Orange Tabby 06/01/1999 to 10/22/2004
Sam - Lab/Hound 01/03/2001 to 06/14/2014
Josie - Orange Tabby 2003
Mr. Slithers - Red-tailed boa constrictor 02/2007
Zeus - Bearded dragon 06/04/2007
Ariel and Lola - Bearded dragons 06/13/2007
Harley - MinPin 01/26/2008

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:00 AM

I used to have a problem with my Husky getting ahold of onions from the top of the garbage & sucking on them & then coming over to burb (learned from his father!) in your face & that was when he was a puppy - onions drew him faster then treats!

I would guess that since it happened a little while ago & you've gone 2 or 3 hours that it won't be a problem - just keep an eye on your little one.
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:00 PM
-

Thanks everyone for your replies. My bad boy is doing fine so far but will still keep an eye on him. Should be easy today cuz it`s pouring rain outside which means him and Chase will be mostly inside causing trouble It`s going to be a long day!!!

Anyways, what do you guys think about Dr. Pitcairns belief that small amounts of raw onion are good for a dog`s digestive system? It`s supposed to clean them out.
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM

I believe that grass and other fibers clean out a system.. Not onions.

Wanna clean out your dog? 1/2 a cup of all bran should do it.
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
Anyways, what do you guys think about Dr. Pitcairns belief that small amounts of raw onion are good for a dog`s digestive system? It`s supposed to clean them out.
one Dr.'s belief isn't enough for me to risk my animal's health. I don't see ANY benefits - only potential (maybe serious) problems. not worth it, IMO.

why would you need to "clean them out" anyways? If my dog needs a "clean out" I'm sure he'll go eat half the lawn and puke, all on his own. no need for me to assist this.

ETA: I'm glad your lil guy is doing just fine!
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:23 PM
-

Hey, I didn`t say that I believed in Dr. Pitcairn I just remember back when his book first came out, how everyone raved about him and his "natural approach" to everything.

Anyways, Logan did poop twice as much the next day. In fact, he did a big one on the way home from our walk and then another as soon as we got home about 10 minutes later. But, irregardless, I will not use onions for this purpose again. Besides, he eats enough grass and sticks everyday to keep himself cleaned out.