Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM

Question Severe Itching to the point of bleeding

My dog has a severe itching problem. It has gotten so bad that she has to wear a e-collar all day and all night now. If we take the collar off she immediately starts chewing her feet and her rear. She makes herself bloody and sore. She then limps around for 2 days. If I let her she would chew herself for hours straight. She had allergy tests and we took out the allergens from her diet. All of them. She is not getting any better. We took her to the vet and they have tried benedryl and prednisone. None has worked or even helped. I don't think it is D or S mange mite. She doesn't have hair loss. She is VERY greasy and smelly. She has a thick layer of oil on her. Even 1 day after a bath it comes right back. I have never smelled a dog that bad. With her greasy skin and constant chewing what could this be besides regular allergy's because I know it is not just that? Thanks for your time!!!
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, that sounds quite uncomfortable for her. What does she eat now, and what did she eat before? Allergy tests for food are not very reliable and the best thing is to do an elimination diet for several weeks, using a novel protein source (like venison or duck, etc).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 6th, 2010, 03:04 PM
-

Has your vet done a thyroid test? It sounds like it could be a systemic yeast infection which is often connected to hypothyroidism.

What are you feeding her now? A grain free diet is best as grains feed the yeast.
Old April 6th, 2010, 03:10 PM
-

Here's some info on yeast infections ....

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...nfections.html
Old April 6th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my I know how you feel. It's been a problem for two years with my Boston. I still have no anwers but it is better now. Don't bother with the vet food.....check thyroid.....also look into seborrea ( I can't spell that) and also parasites but her on revolution for awhile. Research good food and stay on it for 12 weeks. There is a good drug if your dog doesn't react, it's called Atopica.
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Marty11 and Rainbow, wouldn't Q222 see a few more signs of hypothyroidism if it was that? Our Dundee has it but fortunately it didn't lead to a yeast infection. He became gross though, hard fat all over, he had an appalling coat and a whispy tail, and boy, did we see some displays of dog aggression.
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Marty11 and Rainbow, wouldn't Q222 see a few more signs of hypothyroidism if it was that?
One of my previous sibes had chronic ear infections. It wasn't until we noticed very slight lethargy and went to a new vet and she thought it may be thyroid related. Sure enough it was and once she was put on thyroid meds the ear infections stopped..
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM
-

Here's some info from http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...nfections.html ....

Quote:
Thyroid problems (hypothyroidism) - many holistic vets (and doctors for people too) believe that there is a direct connection between thyroid problems and yeast infections.
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

My boston did not have a thyroid problem, actually she didn't chew her feet either. I mentioned seborrea cause it apparently smells really bad and it's really greasy. Her allergy tests came back negative. My golden chewed his feet and had chronic ear problems. How is the dog's ears? Smell them.
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Great link, Rainbow, I've bookmarked that.
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Hopelessly devoted 2 dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q222 View Post
My dog has a severe itching problem. It has gotten so bad that she has to wear a e-collar all day and all night now. If we take the collar off she immediately starts chewing her feet and her rear. She makes herself bloody and sore. She then limps around for 2 days. If I let her she would chew herself for hours straight. She had allergy tests and we took out the allergens from her diet. All of them. She is not getting any better. We took her to the vet and they have tried benedryl and prednisone. None has worked or even helped. I don't think it is D or S mange mite. She doesn't have hair loss. She is VERY greasy and smelly. She has a thick layer of oil on her. Even 1 day after a bath it comes right back. I have never smelled a dog that bad. With her greasy skin and constant chewing what could this be besides regular allergy's because I know it is not just that? Thanks for your time!!!
Go to another vet. A second opinion is always good and is especially warranted when what you are being told to do is not working. Don't self-treat, your baby is suffering!
Give a complete history, every little thing counts - how much drinking, urination etc. It could be many things, so the more info the better as you have to back track to find the source.
It could be allergens in the house such as plants, or does anyone smoke inside, or use a fireplace?
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Hopelessly devoted 2 dogs

Thyroid, ears, yeast, itching, biting all equal ALLERGIES which are more and more common in dogs (just like people) these days. My dogs are all allergic and treated by strict diet of Hypo-allergenic food, prescription medicine as needed, and clean indoor environment. When they come in from outside I dry their undersides and feet.

Tags
biting, itching