Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old October 6th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Smile raw bones question

We just started feeding our 5.5 month old Golden Retriever puppy a raw diet about 2 weeks ago and he seems to be doing really well on it. His poops are nice and solid (he used to have loose stools and colitis on kibble before) and his ears have cleared up and he no longer bites and scratches at his paws. Needless to say, we are thrilled. I do however have a question about raw bones. We gave Barkley his first raw meaty bone last night and he happily chewed away at it for an hour and then we took it away. We bought the bag of bones from Healthy Paws and on the package it says to feed it after a meal but I clearly remember reading somewhere else that you should never give a raw recreational bone on a full stomach and that you should in fact only give it on an empty stomach. Does anyone know which is right or does it not matter?

Viola
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:29 PM

That is very interesting. I don’t remember ever reading anything like that in any of my books about RAW or on any good website .
It doesn’t make much sense because if you give a pup a chicken quarter he will try to get the meat first and then eat the bone at the end (my puppy does this ) or if he eats the meat and bone at the same time he will still end up with a full belly …

I would be interested to hear the opinions of the pple that have been feeding RAW for a longer time
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM

I was thinking that in fact, feeding the bones after the meal may help dogs eat the bone the right way, many tend to hurry up and it’s better if they eat the bone slower at a normal pace then hurry up and swallow big pieces of it.
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkley21
but I clearly remember reading somewhere else that you should never give a raw recreational bone on a full stomach and that you should in fact only give it on an empty stomach. Does anyone know which is right or does it not matter?
this is just a stab in the dark, I don't feed RAW, but are you sure what you are remebering didn't refer to dogs who ate a kibble based diet? I thought raw bones were to be given on an empty stomach because kibble (processed foods) slow the dog's digestion down, therefore the raw meat would be in the dog's system longer, perhaps leading to an upset. (note - I could be WAY off base, like I said, I don't feed raw)
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Honest Contributor

raw, edible bones are best fed at the same time as raw meat, the way nature intended the meat "cushions" the raw bone in the tummy, so YES feeding raw, naked, edible bones (such as chicken frames) on an empty tummy is not ideal (many people do it though). but if we're talking recreational bones here, the ones where very little bone gets chipped off, then it does not matter.

oh and never buy such bones from the petstore, they are robbing you blind! go to your local butcher or supermarket and buy those bones yourself, they are fresh and they are cheap

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Raw Bones

Technodoll, I think what you said about the meat cushioning the bones rang a bell. I must have been reading about edible bones vs. recreational bones (sometimes they don't specify ). That makes sense that edible bones need meat to cushion them in the tummy. And it makes sense that it wouldn't matter if recreational bones were fed on an empty or full stomach because like you said, not much bone gets chipped off and consumed. Thank you so much everyone for helping me try to figure this out.

Viola