Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Anyone know if Blue Buffalo is having problems with food again?

We bought some Blue Buffalo Health Bars (Salmon and Sweet Potato & Banana and Yogurt) about a month ago, for Nanook. The first time he had really bad diarrhea and threw up we had fed him a few. Then he ended up at the vet for the day and they found white fabric in his poo so we chalked it up to foreign matter.

A week and a half ago I decided to give him a couple more. The next morning is when he was so, so bloated, threw up again and ended up at the vets, then the hospital for overnight monitoring. Again, we chalked it up to something other than the cookies.

Yesterday, my MIL gave Thorin a couple of the same cookies. At 3 this morning he woke me up panting and very excited like he had anxiety. I got up, took him out and all he did was run around and pee. Half an hour later he woke my MIL up. She took him out and he had bad diarrhea. This morning he had diarrhea again and threw up. He has had diarrhea with blood in it all day.

If it weren't for the fact we're switching them both on to Wellness Duck and Rice, and they both have bad tummies anyway, I would be extremely worried. We had to take Thorin off the gastro because of the bladder stones and he has already had one bout of Colitis. Both seem to be perky, happy and have an appetite. But I can't help but wonder if the cookies may be bad? I did a search on the internet and found the same cookies were part of a recall in 2007 due to melamine in the rice protein with expiry dates into late 2009 and early 2010. But no recent recalls.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:19 AM

Blue Buffalo has had some questions about the "Wilderness Diet Chicken Flavor; "veterinarians have revealed cases of hypercalcemia secondary to vitamin D toxicosis occuring in dogs...""

"no one has scientifically proven the link. He also notes that reports of at least three other dogs exhibiting signs of hypercalcemia and elevated vitamin D levels without a connection to Blue Buffalo products have surfaced on VIN."

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...-concerns.html

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh... that's ugly. I was just on that site today, but didn't see that article. I just saw the one about the recall for different varieties of food and all Health Bars. But that was back in 2007. I wonder if it would be worth testing... or even how to have that done. Maybe it isn't coincidence that Thorin is sick. I'll mention it to the vet in the morning. And thank you for looking that up

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:32 AM

Are there certain foods/ingredients that seem to trigger Thorin's colitis?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Are there certain foods/ingredients that seem to trigger Thorin's colitis?

Nothing that we have ever been able to pin down. It just seems to happen

I will say, as much as I despise vet diets with their horrid ingredients, the Gastro completely stopped his bouts of Colitis. He went almost a full year with no tummy troubles at all. I really don't know what to give him now

Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:40 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That might be a good place to start then. What are the ingredients in Gastro? Maybe you can develop a menu that uses just the best of the ingredients in Gastro?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM
Senior Contributor

These are the ingredients:

Water Sufficient for Processing, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Rice Flour, Cornmeal, Cottage Cheese, Mackarel, Dried Egg White, Dried Egg, Oat Bran, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Flax Meal, Natural Flavour, Potassium Citrate, Carrageenan, Vegetable Oil, Vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate [Source of Vitamin C], DL-Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate [Source of Vitamin E], Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement [Vitamin B2], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid and Vitamin D3 Supplement), Trace Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Iron Sulphate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Sulphate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite and Calcium Iodate), Salt, Choline Chloride, Inulin (Source of Fructo-Oligosaccharides) and Brewer's Dried Yeast.

Canned: 429 kcal/can