Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old September 30th, 2006, 10:55 AM
The demons' servant

Starting the boys on RAW...

Yep I'm doing it...I'm taking the plunge thing and having the boys eat RAW YAY!

Well I've started off with some chicken breasts (boneless/skinless...need to go out and buy other kinds) and a bit of beef. Cool They haven't really taken to it, well Leo has he's gobbled down the food like no tomorrow! Leo's taken to it like no tomorrow

Dart still sorta picky and is getting all his shots and things now . Becky got her first paycheck today and bought meat mmmm Meat! Dart eats it without issues unless the pieces are too big...Yay!

Pawz is gonna be a stubborn one...I had to put a bit of tuna juice and tuna on top of the meat in order to have him take a second look at it...*shakes fist* he's really gonna be stubborn! He's simply trying to lick it all instead of using his MOUTH...silly cat!

I'm so happy though!

Except for this....one of the cats (not sure which one) puked a bit of the food up...and we're not sure which one! Is that normal or not? I mean none of the cats in the house have thrown up before! The only thing that has changed would be the diet...

Megan
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:01 PM
cat slave

i know there's been some raw threads going on, and while many people have many good arguments about the cons with raw, I personally would leave my cats on cat food. WHy?? because meat has no other products in it, no other vitamins like wheat and all those other things that are blended in cat food.
and you complain about money, buying raw meat will be more expensive than buying cat food. Have you thought about that?

if a cat throws up after a meal, that's not a good sign. Not all animals are cut for a raw diet. One of them most likely can't digest it, in which case it could result in some problems, either diarrhea or resisting to eat.

so...umm.....good luck with that
Old September 30th, 2006, 04:36 PM
The demons' servant

Well the problem with Pawz is that I think he's allergic to something in the cat food and would probably do better on the raw food. If I'm switching one guy I might as well switch both of them.

*sigh* I just don't know what to do with Pawz....vet wants him on the vet food but that's not good....I dunno...

Megan
Old September 30th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorji
because meat has no other products in it, no other vitamins like wheat and all those other things that are blended in cat food.
Cat food might have good things in it, but wheat isn't one of them.
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:26 PM
cat slave

grains. i meant grains
and a bunch of vitamins that i can't pronounce and other stuff...
(i'm looking at the label right now )

might want to try different foods still. My friend's cat is allergic to all cat foods except this one spcial one the vet orders specially for her. What if the same cat that was allergic to the cat food is allergic to the raw??I hope not because then that would be even harder to feed it
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:47 PM

Grains don't really have as many nutrients as you think... It's more about fiber when it comes to grains...
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM
The demons' servant

Hmmm it seems the boys are still hungry after three servings of the meat! Hungry little guys aren't they? Should I be following a "guideline" as kittens or not so much? The different websites say either 2-3% of their ideal adult weight or to feed them until they're full/don't want any more and if they get pudgy to let up on the food...

I know they're still hungry because that's the only time they get up on the counters!

what do you guys do?

Megan
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:34 PM
Honest Contributor

i would let a growing puppy/kitten eat as much as they want until they're adults, and only cut back if a) overfeeding causes loose stools or b) baby is getting pudgy. no two pets metabolize energy in the same way, for example one kitten might need twice the food as its sibling to end up the same adult weight... body just burns food faster.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:58 PM
The demons' servant

Update :)

Well more updates...went out and bought foodage for the beasts...

Pork: Wasn't touched...in fact they all looked at me like I was trying to poison them!

Veal: Leo gobbled down like no tomorrow...Pawz sniffed at it...Dart couldn't care less!

Turkey: Leo looked in disdain to me....Pawz looked like he thought I was trying to kill him...Dart pounded it back into his tummy!

Salmon: All three cats ate some but grew tired of it That's ok cuz they only need a bit each day anyway right?

Beef: The hoover vaccum couldn't have cleared it faster

OF COURSE I also found out something new...PAWZ is a little demon! You see I'd broken out the canned tuna while cutting up the meat and PAWZ could smell it...so he didn't touch ANYTHING until I put that down...little *)&#*&#(*$*#$(@_#($&*. *cough* Anyways, so now I know not to do that again...hmph if he thinks he's gonna get canned tuna every meal he's wrong!

Otherwise all is good...I suppose I gotta crack open an egg tomorrow and give the shell to the boys....I get to smash things yay! Bones and bigger chunks will come later

BTW, how fast did you "upgrade" the chunk size? I mean was it like a week or so before you felt they could have larger pieces? Or what?

Megan
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Honest Contributor

teehee, what an adventure! so apart from the beef, there is no consensus among the kitties eh? figures! you might be stuck feeding two or more meats per meal and let each cat do its own thing...

Quote:
BTW, how fast did you "upgrade" the chunk size?
from the get-go! lots of cats love crunching on chicken wings, necks, smaller chunks of tougher meat... good luck!

Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
teehee, what an adventure! so apart from the beef, there is no consensus among the kitties eh? figures! you might be stuck feeding two or more meats per meal and let each cat do its own thing...

from the get-go! lots of cats love crunching on chicken wings, necks, smaller chunks of tougher meat... good luck!

Well they seem to still be having issues with the smaller chunks of meat...I dont want them to end up playing with the meat (like Dart was the other day when I gave them huge chunks)...I want them to eat it...lol

Oh and random question...pet safe cleaner for floors! I don't know any and all I have is stuff that definately isn't! I need to wash the floors desperately!

Megan
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
Honest Contributor

fill a spray-bottle (from the dollar-store) with a solution of 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 water. spritz whereever you need cleaning & disinfecting, wipe with paper towel.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
fill a spray-bottle (from the dollar-store) with a solution of 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 water. spritz whereever you need cleaning & disinfecting, wipe with paper towel.
You are a lifesaver! Thank you! Cuz my floors are ewwy and gross....

It won't damage hardwood would it?

Megan