Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old July 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Just signed up

Iam new to this. I didn't know there was any kind of chat rooms out there for canine help. I was looking up nasal fungus and nasal cancer on google, the reason being is that my little girl (dog-but she doesn't know that) has been sneezing and the vet said allergies are bad this year - give her benadryll. About 2 weeks later Britta had blood coming out of her nose very slightly. Took her in for that. Doctor said he could scope nose to see whats going on. At that point found a tumor and had a biopsy done on the tissue. That came back with no signs of cancer as they thought it might be. After this her nose would drip blood every now and then. Last week she was having a hard time breathing through her nose.(We all didn't sleep - kept watch on her) During her trying to breath I tried to spray her nose with nasal spray. At this point she moved and I sprayed it in her eye. In the morning her eye was swollen and still breathing hard. Took her to vet right away. They went back into her nose and removed more of the tumor (which now doubled in size) so she could breathe. They said the swollen eye must have been from the nasal spray. We were referred to Michigan State on the nose issue. Britta is there at this point which is 2 hours away:sad: The University is running tests on her today: blood work and xrays. Tommorrow is the cat scan. I feel so guilty leaving her but my husband tells me she is in the best of care possible. Britta is a 11 1/2 year lab. She is so full of life. Her diet has not changed through this whole ordeal. She is not sick in any way. She has slowed down slightly. When we left her this morning her eye that was swollen was no longer swollen but the opposite eye was now sinking in. Her reflexes are all fine. Any words of wisdom? My heart is breaking!!! She is my only Baby. Thank you all for taking the time to read. New Member, Julianne
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:23 PM
banned user

I know too well how you feel leaving your baby for tests. We took our
little Shasta, Nowegian Elkhound to the University of Georgia for tests
on her eye as it looked like tear duct was abnormal.

Wow, these universities have the best in technology. They did an MRI on
her after the observation of a "student" that her head was slightly flat
on one side. Turned out it wasn't her eye at all that was causing the
wetness on her face but a broken bone in the side of her head (Probably from
the time she was a little puppy) The bone had healed over and the
nerves there were not functioning and causing the eye and the side of her
mouth to have no control there thus causing the wetness on her face.

We were assured that surgery was not necessary and it is just an inconvenience to have her face wet and not something to worry about.

I don't know how long we would have been in the Toronto area trying to
find out what was wrong...we had seen 3 vets, one opthomologist and no
one knew what was wrong.

You are in the best place to find out what is wrong.

When you get a chance post a picture and know we are all praying for your
baby to be well.
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:57 PM
-

to you Julieanne, your hubby and sweet baby Britta. And we promise to never to tell her she's not a baby.

Most of us have been where you are now at one point or another and there are no words of relief other than to know that you are being the most responsible guardian parent you can be to your dawg by providing her with the best care available. Stay strong and stay positive for her sake ~ she needs all the positive vibes we can giver her right now !
Old July 14th, 2007, 09:16 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry to hear you're going through such a difficult time, julianne

But Shirley is right--Britta's at the right place to find something out! The teaching hospitals really are amazing!

Welcome to the board, julianne...I just wish it were under less trying circumstances for you!

s and 28 crossed s on this end for a good prognosis! Will you hear something yet today?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."