Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 12th, 2007, 11:49 PM

Talking raw meat feeding

Hello everyone !

I just would like to hear many opinions from you about "raw meat feeding".

I started taking a dog training course from this Jan. I totally believed that "raw meat feeding" was very good for dogs because dog's origin was wolves (in the wild they eat fresh meat mainly).

But my teacher is against "raw meat feeding".
The reasons are :

(1)meat contains bacteria, pathogens etc and then it's very high risk of causing health problems for dogs, specially pups and elder dogs.

(2)the ingestion of raw meat will then naturally stimulate the carnivore's bio-chemical fight (excitement hormones etc)

Today many many people choose "raw meat feeding". Some people prepare by themselves and some buy products from dealers.

Do you think that "raw meat feeding" really makes dogs "high energy" ? or stimulate dog's hunting instinct ?

If you currently feed "raw meat" your dog, do you have any behavioural problems ? or not ?

Anyway, I am very looking forward to your opinions !

Thanks !!!
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Performance Spaniels

The raw forum
http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Honest Contributor

Nothing like a good "myth buster" to clear this all up... feel free to print and hand to your teacher, who should not be teaching anything without doing proper research first (and no, neigher of my raw-fed dogs are "bloodthirsty aggressive" and neither do they get sick on this diet, on the contrary!)

http://rawfed.com/myths/bacteria.html

http://rawfed.com/myths/bloodthirsty.html

the whole list of fallacies: http://rawfed.com/myths/

and welcome to the forum!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Track greyhounds are fed meat as part of their racing diet,to help build muscle and keep them lean and fit, and to help provide increased stamina and speed yet they remain gentle and docile.

Would they chase an animal as prey, yes some do but that has nothing to do with diet, instead has to do with nature and what they were bred for.

My bridge girl Callie was on track diet and later had raw bones from time to time as a treat has had wild rabbits jumps out right in front of her and made no move after them, my ferret also at bridge would play between her feet as she is laying down

Sunny is another track greyhound excellent racer due to prey drive, he will try to hunt rabbits and squirrels , my ferret had escaped the cage once Sunny who got a little to interested in him try to chase him, little did he know a ferret has no fear of size, the ferret end up going on the offensive backing him into a corner leaving him screaming for help, with 80 lbs different in size. Definitely a comical sight to behold. I have other small pets in the home he know the difference between them and prey

I also have 2 cats and a chinese crested, another greyhound , and an eskie
it would be impossible to have all these animals together with such an extreme size different if my dogs were bloodthirsty due to having ate a raw diet

and proof

the rabbit hunter Sunny

foster greyhound fresh off the track socializing with my cat

Another foster greyhound fresh off the track

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Do you think that "raw meat feeding" really makes dogs "high energy" ?
This is partly true, IMO... But it's true for really good kibble too. When a dog is on a crap diet, their energy will be low as a result. Just like if we eat McD's every day. And then you start feeding them real food with energy they can actually use, and their energy goes up. Shouldn't be drastic or anything, but noticeable, IMO, and up in a good way.
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
This is partly true, IMO... But it's true for really good kibble too. When a dog is on a crap diet, their energy will be low as a result. Just like if we eat McD's every day. And then you start feeding them real food with energy they can actually use, and their energy goes up. Shouldn't be drastic or anything, but noticeable, IMO, and up in a good way.
Exactly. Its a healthy high energy. Not like a sugar rush or something.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Thanks !

Thank you very much for your opinions.

I still believe that raw meat feeding is benefit for dogs.
I've fed raw meat to my dog more than one year and he has not had a major health problems so far...

If there are 100 people here, there are 100 different opinions here...
What people believe is always different.

I woule like to research more about dog's nutritions and try to find a good way for my dog.

Thanks !
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I found that the energy level from a good high quality food to raw was a different energy. Not that it was more, or better but its just longer lasting.

When the dogs were eating SG WK their energy had sky rocketed ( because they ate Pedigree before that) Now with the raw, it seems to be a more powerful energy
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Sorry if this is classified as thread-jacking but Ontariogrey, is your one greyhound a brindle? I've never saw a brindle colored greyhound but whatever she/he is I absolutely love the color.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I for one am especially grateful for this forum http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64 as there's probably nothing worst then logging on and seeing a heart first thing in the morning but like you said If there are 100 people here, there are 100 different opinions here... What people believe is always different

There's ton's of info here on animal food whether it be raw or kibble. Personally I won't do raw.