Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:34 AM

Poop color change...

Ok, I hope I'm not going to disgust anyone here. But I pay a lot of attention to my cats toilet habits so a change is a big deal.

I started feeding my 9-month-old cat raw meat/bones/heart/kidney etc, plus a cat multi vitamin per day, around 3 weeks ago.

Since then he is using the kitty litter less often (I lock him in at night and he used to poop once a night). He uses it at night once or twice a week now, but it's changed from medium fairly moist brown to black and dry. The meat I feed him has a lot of blood in it, maybe it's iron?

He is definitely not showing ANY signs of being unhealthy. In fact he is thriving since his diet change. A lot more energy, his coat is shinier and more silky, he's playing a lot more... and even on his own

Did anyone else have this problem? Oh yeah, for the record he has filled out a bit since I changed his diet too. But he was pretty slender before that, he's not fat by any means... I think he may just be growing more in general.

Sorry for long message! Really appreciate any info
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:44 AM

No worries about grossing anyone here out!

I have noticed as well poop changes in my two cats since I started raw. Their poops are much firmer and darker. They also has constipation issues for a while, but that cleared up.

I think we are so used to normal poo being moist and light brown that it takes a while to readjust to the new normal! Healthy kitty poo!
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM

When you switch to Raw, your cat goes through like a "de-tox" period where it can either have constipation, OR the opposite...

If you ever go to straight Raw, you'll probably notice that his poops turn almost a whiteish.

The reason they poop less is because their body is using almost ALL the food. Unlike commercial kibbles where its all Corn and wheat that our pets DONT digest, so it allllll comes right back out.

Glad you're trying Raw!
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
but it's changed from medium fairly moist brown to black and dry.

I have heard many times that if their poop is hard and whitish/chalky then this usually means you are feeding too much bone. The black and dry could be a transition period. My one cats poop was like this when he got rid of his chronic diarrhea issues (from being fed a commercial pet food diet). But now they are small and lighter brown/ to brown in color. My other cat had chronic constipation on Commercial pet food...and right now it seems to be pretty bad. The vet had to completely clean her out because she was so blocked up. Any suggestions for helping her with constipation would be greatly appreciated. She is getting 100% pumpkin and lactulose (a stool softner) and she is passing a stool about every 3-4 days. I hope this is okay....

It sounds like you use the Prey Model Diet (80% meat - 10% bone - 10% Organ). This is the diet I feed my cats. Just monitor his stools for a while longer. They may change to something different soon
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBullMom View Post

If you ever go to straight Raw, you'll probably notice that his poops turn almost a whiteish.
Like Khari mentioned, if the stool is white (not turns white after being left outside for a while, but immediately white) there's far too much bone being included in the animal's diet and adjustments should be made.

Tags
color poop, poop, toilet habits