Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Horse shot in self defence ???

Horse shot by man who said he acted in self defence

By Jennifer Hamilton-McCharles NORTH BAY NUGGET

Updated 3 days ago

CHISHOLM— Jullia Pearce is heartbroken after one of her family's horses was shot and killed by a man who says he acted in self defence.

Pearce said they were unaware their horses had escaped until Ontario Provincial Police knocked on their door Wednesday night. The horse is owned by Pearce's parents Marian and Edgar Pearce who live on Golf Course Road in Chisholm.

"They told us one of our horses had been shot," she said.

"Several of us went over to see what had happened and we were shocked."

Pearce said Chance, a three-year-old part Clydesdale and part quarter-horse, was laying on the ground about 100 metres from the home of Kevin Bruneau.

"It was a tough night. We're still in a feeling of disbelief. It's unbelievable that someone would get a gun out instead of making a

call," she said.

"Things happen and when animals get out we're more than willing to go

get them and repair whatever things they've damaged."

Bruneau said he feels terrible about what happened and is sorry for the pain he's caused the Pearce family.

He said he was visiting neighbours when he returned home around 6 p.m. to find five horses in his field.

Bruneau said he doesn't like horses and was afraid they would interfere with his deer hunt.

"I tried starting up my Jeep to scare them away, but it wasn't working. Then I tried yelling. I had no idea where they came from," Bruneau said.

He said he then went into his home to get his rifle.

"I fired a shot into the ground and they started to walk away. When I fired the second shot they started running, except one turned and swung around and started coming for me," Bruneau said.

"The horse was 10 yards away and I was genuinely scared it would kill me or hurt me, so I shot directly at him," he said.

Two more shots later Chance died.

Bruneau said he then called police.

"I feel really bad this happened. I didn't want to do this. I love animals, but I was really afraid for my life," he said.

Pearce said Chance has never been an aggressive horse.

"My nieces have been riding him since they were three-years-old. I had to learn to walk again and Chance was so gentle," she said.

"He was a beauty. He was black with white marks and perfectly healthy."

Pearce said the shooting has scared the other four horses.

OPP Sgt. Al Gardiner said whether charges — cruelty to animals or careless or dangerous use of a firearm — will be laid has yet to be determined.

He said police must determine if Bruneau's actions were reasonable.

"He (Bruneau) indicated he wanted to scare the animal off, but one horse charged at him," Gardiner said.

He said there's concern nobody was called prior to the animal being shot.

jhamilton-mccharles@nugget.ca
os
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG I've had a horse charge me, it's pretty frightening. It grabbed me by the shoulder and would have gotten my neck if I hadn't twisted away. So I understand being frightened.

I don't understand knowingly chasing obviously loose horses out of your own field onto possibly a road, where they might cause an accident, or onto someone else's property where they might do damage to someone else's property. This man is an idiot.

Hopefully examination of poor Chance will determine if he was indeed running toward the idiot or away. I hope it's determined the lack of a phone call is an important factor.
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Senior Contributor

What a flaming idiot.....he probably missed shooting a deer and wanted to kill something. If he was so frigging scared go in the house and by the way, you cannot hunt after sundown so why would these animals interfer with his deer hunt. I hope he goes out and some one mistakes him for a deer and blows him away.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
What a flaming idiot.....he probably missed shooting a deer and wanted to kill something. If he was so frigging scared go in the house and by the way, you cannot hunt after sundown so why would these animals interfer with his deer hunt. I hope he goes out and some one mistakes him for a deer and blows him away.
I'm gonna go check my Regs. but it's always been a half hour BEFORE and AFTER sundown. Maybe it changed, it should have, how stupid, it's almost pitch black then.

But I think I did read that this was before the season even opened.

Shotgun season for deer is open where I am, this week. Please check folks, when you walk your dog.

ETA: Yep, still allowed:

Quote:
Before hunting, check local sunrise-sunset times. You may only
hunt from half an hour before sunrise to half an hour after sunset
(exceptions: night raccoon, spring wild turkey, and in some
Wildlife Management Units [WMU], pheasant). If you are in an
area usually inhabited by wildlife, during the period from half an
hour after sunset to half an hour before sunrise, you must unload
and encase any firearms (including air gun, pellet gun, bow or
crossbow) in your possession.
From: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...ent/239841.pdf
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I saw this on the news tonight... disgusting.
Horses get out, cows get out, buffalo get out... farm animals are notorious for busting the best and most expensive fences if something spooks them to do so.
Its part of rural/farm life. I have seen everything from cattle, yaks to horses on the loose around here. if you're not comfortable with the handling of the animals on the loose you call the nearest farmer.
In one sentance he says he loves animals and the next he says he doesn't like horses. I'm scared of cows, if they're in on my front lawn and I can get in my house to get a gun, I would just stay in the house and grab my phone and wait it out, not go back out, armed or not.
What a moron.
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I'd go one step further though, Erykah, he loves animals yet can shoot deer ? I also noticed about him disliking horses. Come to think of it though, a neighboring child when I was young was truly terrified of horses, I put her on one and she had hysterics and wouldn't let me even walk it, she was telling me it'd fall over. I have family members now who are very scared when my sheep start playing, and these fears are genuine, so who knows , this guy may be telling the truth. I've been out on a racetrack trying to catch a horse that had ditched its jockey and though that was a wide track and it was just one horse galloping, I did have the feeling it would run me down. So, maybe he freaked out and shot it , very sad no matter what happened. Sad for the horse that if it had ventured into another paddock, people there might have done everything possible to keep it safe till owners were found. Tell me, why would the horses have ruined his deer hunt? I'd have thought the deer would graze with horses.
Old November 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I love animals and have been raised in a hunting family and live with a hunter now, i really don't want this to turn into a hunting debate, I have done it a hundred times on here. This is about that poor horse killed by what is clearly a neighbour with a grudge like the crazy horse lady around here that is shooting everyones dogs. She has hit 3 and killed 1 in the past 2.5 years.
No one can prove its her but all the dogs around here are being shot???
These types of trigger happy people need to be stopped.
There is a big difference in shooting an animal and using ALL of it and killing an animal you are afraid of and leaving it to waste.
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

he had his jeep, run behind it....roll under it.......man, this is so sad
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Good thing that this is a free world and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't know how anyone can judge this man without knowing the full facts, and I'm not sure they are all there in one little newspaper article. I think everyone deserves the benefit of a doubt though. Re the woman allegedly shooting dogs, are they dogs that venture onto her property, erykah, or does she shoot them on the street, or on their owner's property? When we shifted here,where we have sheep farms around us, I actually told my neighbor that if he sees one of my cattle dogs in with his sheep he could shoot it, that's how sure I was it wouldn't happen, but I wanted to set his mind at ease. Dogs can do a lot of damage, even to horses. Isn't it up up to a dog's owner to keep it safe?
Old November 12th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Yeah Goldfields, it is up to the dogs owner to keep it safe but unfortunately around here there is that mentality, it seems, that country dogs should just roam free. She shoots willy nilly when the dogs cross her fields, not even near her horses.
Mine have yet to get a chance to get down to her place and thats the way it will remain.
As for the guy in this article, I'm sorry, if he managed to get in his house to get a gun, he could have just stayed in the house and called authorities. I am yet to see a horse so crazed that it is a threat to someone in a house. But who knows, this draft mix could have been hopped up on grain or something.
Who knows how many times this persons horses ended up at his place? By the looks of her fencing on the news it wasn't the greatest, but that being said, even the best of fences have been run through by a spooked horse.
Old November 12th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

We have a neighboring farmer who lets his dogs roam, Erykah. One dear little Coolie girl came up into the forest opposite us and picked up a 1080 fox bait and died. Two others took to attacking sheep and the NZ Huntaway got shot for it. A Kelpie he had took to killing baby lambs so he shot it himself, and two other dogs go walkabout the minute he lets them off the chain. Wouldn't you think he'd learn? Some people just shouldn't own dogs. Here in Oz I think owners of livestock can just shoot dogs that are on their land near their stock, but maybe that's not the case in Canada or that woman wouldn't care if people knew she was shooting dogs. She must love her horses to be able to do it.

That fellow though, didn't he want the horses gone so he could hunt deer? That'd be why he went back out. I wonder how big this horse was? It could have seemed intimidating given it was part Clydie. I guess the law will sort things out, you'd think he'd at least have to pay the owner compensation even if they don't charge him.
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I have a half clyde and he is only 14.3 hh, just because its part Clyde doesn't mean its a 17h giant all the time.
I am quite confused as to why it is "ok" to shoot domestic animals just wandering on anothers property yet hunting is so frowned upon? seems like an interesting double standard if you ask me
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Size really has little bearing on fear. I know someone who is deathly afraid of frogs. She knows it's ridiculous but she can't help it.

And yes, in Ontario a farmer may shoot animals he perceives to be a threat to his liveliehood. A neighbour's dog had a front leg held together by pins after being shot while raiding a chicken coop. Another neighbour's dog was shot dead when caught chasing cows. I suppose a horse trampling grain fields is a threat to liveliehood but that was not the reason given for shooting it. I think Chance was found in pasture where surely little damage was done.

FWIW I found a loose horse once. I mean besides the one that charged me. So I guess that makes it twice. Anyway, since I'm 5'8" and his withers were over my head the second find might have been 18 hands. Big for a Percheron. They made me give him back. Phooey.
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL. No, it's NOT finders keepers, sorry! That made me chuckle. I found an apaloosa mare loose on the road one day when I was coming home from shopping, but she was easily sorted, I forget what I put around her neck but I led her into the owner's place and locked her in a stable.
My husband doesn't like frogs either, Longblades. He won't pick one up, but I love them.

It'd be a rare happening for anyone to shoot horses, cows or sheep for the damage they could do, wouldn't it? Most people growing crops also know the value of livestock and surely they'd realise that another farmer would compensate them for the damage?
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Terrible story
Stoopid stoopid people we share this planet with...and some of them are mean as well. This does not read like fear, it reads like malice.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I suppose if he is charged with cruelty it will appear in the paper. It could be ignorance and fear, not knowing a thing about horses? Terrible though, I agree. A HUGE mistake on his part, no matter his reason. He has to live in a community no doubt populated with animal lovers and they all know about it.