Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 15th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Cat peeing everywhere in house.

We have a 2 year old female cat (Torty breed), that is peeing on furniture, clothing,floors, everywhere, every night. At first we thought her litter box was dirty, so we began cleaning this constantly, but still no change.
We also have a 1-1/2 year old female cat (Chloe). this one is no problem.

The problem cat (Cali) is also not a friendly cat, and never has been since we raised her as a kitten. She came from a home that had 4 mature cats and 10 kittens in the house. We have never mistreated her, but the only time she is friendly is when she goes into heat. Otherwise she scratches, growls, spits and bites when you go near her. She is a house cat and has only been outdoors when we can keep an eye on her.

Can anyone offer some advise as to what causes this? She is very healthy, eats and drinks well, but i have to do something with her before i wear my carpets and furniture out from steam cleaning, which still does not remove the smell.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Jim.
Old June 15th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

My best friends cat would do that too...but he would pee on HER belongings (clothes, coats, pillows, etc.). She thought he was very healthy too, as he is only 2 years old. When she took him to the vet, they did the usual tests and turned up nothing. When she took him back because of bad breath, they discovered he had 7 rotten teeth. By peeing, he was trying to tell her something that even the vet couldn't see. Once the teeth got fixed, the peeing stopped.

I also had a male cat that would pee on everything, but it turned out he had Urinary tract disease. The vet would be able to catch that right away, hopefully. If not, time to find a new vet!!

Good luck!
Old June 16th, 2003, 07:48 AM

Lightbulb cat urinates all over house

Hi,

There is a lot going on here. First off Neutering the cat will help if you have not done that...I will assume you have,

2nd if this is a new behaviour then you must rule out urinary tract infection as catt 31 suggested.

Next- It is crucial that you get rid of the smell completely. Try Febreeze or other products specifically designed to get rid of the urine smell. SO THAT THE CAT cannot smell it. NEVER use ammonia to clean cat urine. Go to any pet shopto find good products in your area. Cats will often urinate where they have urinated before.

Use stuff like orange peels...onions...moth balls or commercial sprays to spray or put or rub in areas where the cat pees. They hate these smells.

Get EXTRA litter boxes. Keep them in different private places.

I hope some of these tips help. Do search on this site for other good tips,

Laroi
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:35 PM

I think CAT hit the nail on the head. She mentioned about the cat trying to tell its owner something by peeing on articles and it was because of its rotten teeth etc.

You not only have a cat that is peeing but you say it is cross, maybe he doesnt want to be picked up ,held etc due to a health problem also.

I say this becasue I not only have MS and RA but I have fibromyalgia and if someone touches me the pain is unreal. So just maybe the cat just needs a very good checkup and going over. Good luck to you.
Old June 17th, 2003, 04:01 PM

Lightbulb cat urinating everywhere

You mentioned the cat is only friendly when in heat.....I don't want to debate this subject with other breeders, but when I was breeding siamese cats years ago, it became apparent that any 'intact' cat, male or female that had free roam in the house had a greater propencity to mark with urine or feces.

Possible Solutions
1. Have Vet rule-out 'FUS' Feline Urinary Syndrome, a chronic health problem that causes the cat to urinate in inappropriate places. It can be treated with medicine and special diets.
2. Spay/neuter all pets in the house.
3. Clean/soak all urine marked areas with 'Nature's Miracle' or some other enzyme pet cleaner.
4. Confine the offender to a small room or a cat cage with clean litter pans to reinforce correct litter box use. This will also rule-out any 'aversion' to the litter box or litter.
5. Keep the cats separated until the urinating cat is in control via the above steps and then slowly reintroduce the cats during supervised visits.

Hope everything works out.