Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 6th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I find it very shocking

I have been reading some posts here and i am finding it hard to believe that all these vets that people are asking about there sick pet,dont know what the problem is with there pet,sure is an unusual amount of un knowlegeable vets.
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

This is nothig Heidi, unfortunately another board that I visit had a thread dedicated to crappy vets. Some that abused animals, cause pain and damage to the animals - no anethetics, stuff lihe that. It's a sick world... Just like there are doctors that take advantage of their patience there are vets that are inhumane as well. That's why it is VERY important that if you second guess your vet's advice - go somewhere else!!!
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess it does happen,just never seen so many people on here before saying how there vet knows nothing,that is crazy,so many vets that shouldnt be vets..
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Heidi,I believe sometimes more invasive procedures are needed,at more expence,to find out what is ailing a dog/cat and many pet-owners are hesitant..hence the guess-work and the"try antibiotic"solution.
It's just like if we are sick,x-rays,MRI's etc....is necessary,at a great cost to the petowner.Just looking and feeling does not always tell what is wrong.
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Heidi,I believe sometimes more invasive procedures are needed,at more expence,to find out what is ailing a dog/cat and many pet-owners are hesitant..hence the guess-work and the"try antibiotic"solution.
It's just like if we are sick,x-rays,MRI's etc....is necessary,at a great cost to the petowner.Just looking and feeling does not always tell what is wrong.
Very true Chico!! Many people are just not willing to put out the money for those types of procedures, so they are looking for every other remedy!! That makes it appear as though the vet has not provided the necessary care, but infact the owner doesn't want to.
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I believe you are right sammiec..
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Boy I guess I am very lucky my vet is more concerned about the dog then he is about the money. He has been incredible with Buddy who had been physically abused and had some health issues. He worked out a payment plan for surgery and researched Mastiffs before doing surgery on him since they can not use the same anastesia (sp) on them. He phoned me to make sure everything was okay 3 days after he was released. I love my vet since reading some of these horror stories.
Old August 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I know huh.. I never had problems like that with the vet.
Old August 6th, 2004, 01:27 PM

yikes!

Yaeh, remember Dr.Frankenstein! Smart guy- sick results! I believe that there are some vets that don't truly believe that offering an animal pain relief and an honest to goodness real treatment are nessesary.

This is the world we live in there are those dr.'s who are in it just for the money. What do we expect when teenagers are forced to go to college and university, spend thousands of dollars to "Be something!!!" They get to their vet practice and find out that they hate it. Question is "Should they throw it all away and start at the bottom of the ladder and dissapoint their friends , family, ect You see how easy it can happen..............
Laurie
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I think you can compare this to people doctors as well. Some are in it for the money and some truly care. Best way to find a good vet or doctor is to ask your friends who have had dealings with them. When you get a good one - - don't forget the Mrs. Smith's Cookies!