Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 27th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Unhappy Poor Muffin

I would still like to hear from any one who has purchased a pup from PetSelect near Guelph, Ontario. The dog my aunt purchased certainly was not what she expected! "Muffin", who was only to get to be 40lbs and only knee high at six month's of age when standing on her hind legs was up to my aunt's shoulders.
When my aunt showed the Vet pictures of the litter, the Vet said there was at least two litters in the goup of puppies.

The whole experience has been both devastating to both my aunt and Muffin.
When I contacted this business and let them know my aunt could not keep this dog. They would not do anything for her, she has a small yard, is older and has never had a big dog before. Her last dog lived to be over 15 years old.
It really has turned out tragically and my aunt would never have taken this dog home had they been honest.
She couldn't find anyone who was willing to take Muffin, she is a very difficult dog. She ended up at Animal Control and immediately bit one of the staff.
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Poor Muffin

PetSelect say they have sold over six hundred dogs, I have to wonder if there are any other horror stories about these people out there.

My aunt wanted a puppy but I myself took a year old dog from a Rescue Agency and although it was rough at first, he is wonderful.

PetSelect hung up on me when I asked them to do something for my aunt. She tried to find a home but people who took her just returned her. This dog wouldn't even come back when my aunt called her.

We made it very clear we wanted a small dog if they had any doubts they should have been honest, my aunt would never have taken it home.
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Not only do pet stores sell puppy mill puppies, but they are there to make money. If your aunt was interested in a puppy, then they want to sell her that puppy. Quite frankly, I doubt the staff knows much about dogs in general or different breeds/sizes.

Check out www.nopuppymills.com. The owner of the site knows more then I could ever hope to learn about different mills and different pet stores. She may be able to help you in your quest to learn more about your particular pet store.
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:58 PM

?

Is this an older dog? I still can't believe people will buy a dog from these places. Especially with rescues and spca's out there. Or even the paper to look for a older dog.

Was there a warranty when she bought the dog? How long did she have the dog? Maybe she could go through small claims. Write the paper about it.
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:25 PM

Poor Muffin

Muffin is only six months old now. PetSelect is on a farm near Guelph Ontario.
My aunt got Muffin after her dog of over 15 years of age died. We would never have taken Muffin if we had been told the truth.

I have a dog myself from AnimalAlert, I have had him a year, he is now two, and he has become the best dog I could ever hope to have.

My aunt has been really devastated by this whole experience with Muffin. She was afraid to get a dog from a pet store. We live in London area so we did not know about PetSelect, But we sure do now!
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:24 PM

I would do everything possible to get their name out there and let everyone know how bad they are.

I believe this is the place that Luba mentioned her a bit ago and I contacted our local SPCA, as well as the Guelph SPCA. They were going to look into it.

Picket out on the road in front of the place. Put up posters etc..... It is awful when these places don't stand behind their animals.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls