Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM

Should I get my dog a dog? Toronto

Hey everyone, sorry if this is written somewhere already but I JUST found this forum.

I have a little 1 year old Shiba Inu/Chihuahua and he is crazy for other dogs. I take him to a dog park for a few hours on the weekend and he just roams and hangs out with every dog, no matter their size. I take him outside for a little walk while he uses the bathroom about 5 times a day, everyday. I also try to take him for one real walk.

I don't know what it is.. he is so tiny, only 8lbs, but ALL he wants to do is be outside 24/7. I live in a small condo and he just complains all day and mopes.. just silhouettes out the window looking at the outside.

I work from home but everytime I leave I take him with me.. even for a quick trip to the grocery store he comes along and hides in his bag when I'm inside.

I don't know what to do.. he is seriously depressed inside. I don't have a balcony at the moment but I am looking for another place that at least has that. I am living in Toronto and housing is so expensive.. I wish I could rent a house with a backyard and then just put a doggy door on it.

-Should I get my dog a dog? I don't really want another one but if it would make him happy I guess I could pay for another little one...
-Should I try to dog-sit as a side job just for temporary companions?
-Is there someway to find/meet people to be dog friends for him? I've been trying but most people in this city seem to want to stick to themselves or they live so far away. Is there a sub area in this forum or a way here to meet a friend for him that I can dog-sit during the day for them or something? North York, Toronto.

Any info would be really appreciated! Thanks!
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Getting your dog a dog is a lousy idea - especially if you don't particularly want one. A second dog is twice the work for you and twice the money - for food, vet bills, etc.

I hate to say this, but you dog sounds bored. How about signing up for an obedience class one evening a week? While physical exercise is great - mental stimulation is also important! Learning new tricks and practicing them is a fabulous way to wear a pup out.
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Dogs love people just as much. I agree 2 dogs can get costly esp if they get sick. Definately sign up for some classes, the best class I took my high energy terrier to was "Agility", he absolutely loved this class. Probably cost u less than caring for another dog.
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Doggy Day Care might be just the ticket for your bored and lonely pup. He might be happy with only a few, if you are very lucky, maybe even only one day a week. Failing DDC maybe someone to come in and take him out more often?

I agree that you do not get a dog for a dog. You get a dog for yourself and only after recognizing that dogs are social beings and need stimulation, training and outside contact with other dogs and people.
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reereejandro View Post
Hey everyone, sorry if this is written somewhere already but I JUST found this forum.

I have a little 1 year old Shiba Inu/Chihuahua and he is crazy for other dogs. I take him to a dog park for a few hours on the weekend and he just roams and hangs out with every dog, no matter their size. I take him outside for a little walk while he uses the bathroom about 5 times a day, everyday. I also try to take him for one real walk.

I don't know what it is.. he is so tiny, only 8lbs, but ALL he wants to do is be outside 24/7. I live in a small condo and he just complains all day and mopes.. just silhouettes out the window looking at the outside.

I work from home but everytime I leave I take him with me.. even for a quick trip to the grocery store he comes along and hides in his bag when I'm inside.

I don't know what to do.. he is seriously depressed inside. I don't have a balcony at the moment but I am looking for another place that at least has that. I am living in Toronto and housing is so expensive.. I wish I could rent a house with a backyard and then just put a doggy door on it.

-Should I get my dog a dog? I don't really want another one but if it would make him happy I guess I could pay for another little one...
-Should I try to dog-sit as a side job just for temporary companions?
-Is there someway to find/meet people to be dog friends for him? I've been trying but most people in this city seem to want to stick to themselves or they live so far away. Is there a sub area in this forum or a way here to meet a friend for him that I can dog-sit during the day for them or something? North York, Toronto.

Any info would be really appreciated! Thanks!
I would not let a 8lbs dog go outside by itself. A hawk could pick it up very easy or a raccoon could kill him. I have a 16 lbs dogs and I never let him go out alone. If you can afford to how about bringing your dog to a doggie playgroup a few days week. You might also met someone that has a small dog and you both could make play dates for your dogs.