Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Cool To anyone who thinks that all pit-bulls are mean

This is a good link to send to anyone who claims that all pit-bulls are mean and aggressive:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UcU1OsDMWBQ

Enjoy!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Kitty pimp

thtas a riot i lpve how the chicks peck woner if there getting fleas and stuff off the pets
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:44 AM

Even though the dog is always blamed it the owners fault. With love and attention they would be great pets.And safe around people.
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:14 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face

i don't think that all pit-bulls are mean, but they were bred to fight as their first option of defence, not to ignore threats or to run away. I would always be wary around them, but i kind of feel sorry for a dog that has had instinct bred into it rather than a natural option.:sad:

soter

I do!!
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Swift Tribe

OMG Sharky is just sooo beautiful!!!!

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soter View Post
i don't think that all pit-bulls are mean, but they were bred to fight as their first option of defence, not to ignore threats or to run away. I would always be wary around them, but i kind of feel sorry for a dog that has had instinct bred into it rather than a natural option.:sad:

soter
"Pit bulls" were bred to fight other dogs, not people. In fact, they should, when stable in temperament, be able to withstand a huge amount of pressure without reacting aggressively towards a human. It's also probably worth mentioning that there is a huge spectrum of energy levels, dog tolerance, prey drive, etc. in "pit bulls".

If were talking within the confines of responsible owners, I've never actually seen a group of people less tolerant of aggression towards humans than those involved in this breed specifically.

A discussion about dog aggression is a whole 'nother thing entirely, and a complex one at that.

It really does a disservice to all dogs, I think, to understand "aggression" as this all encompassing thing where a whole bunch of distinct behaviors (prey drive, dog aggression, fear aggression, resource guarding, human aggression, play growling, territorial-ness...etc.) get a generic label and therefore absolve us of actually understanding what's going on. This type of thinking gets really awesome dogs in a whole lot of trouble, leaves really messed up dogs improperly managed and sets a standard for what a "good dog" is that is not too far away from a stuffed animal.
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM

how do we know???

'morning

cute video!

i've had almost 100 cats (most of them found/abandonned/rescued) and none of them would have let chick climb on themselves like that...

i only partly agree on the pets owners' fault... however, i highly respect everyone's opinion and personal experience...

how about a good pet owner adopting a dog in an alledgedly looking good home advertising in the paper or from the neighborhood (dog from a bad lineage of agressive dogs or from a puppy mill) how do we know when we meet one dog who's from a breed that has a bad reputation better be safe than sorry

some feedback would be much appreciated... i'm retired and as i just adopted a dog - playing with her and walking her in parks and trails will be my main activity... so, i'll be meeting many other dogs too...

&
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavandula&gaya View Post
'morning

i only partly agree on the pets owners' fault... however, i highly respect everyone's opinion and personal experience...

how about a good pet owner adopting a dog in an alledgedly looking good home advertising in the paper or from the neighborhood (dog from a bad lineage of agressive dogs or from a puppy mill) how do we know when we meet one dog who's from a breed that has a bad reputation better be safe than sorry
I think there are two ways to look at the idea that "it's always the owners fault".

The first is to assume that it's all in how you raise a dog. Personally, I disagree with this idea. Clearly what a dog experiences will shape it's future behavior, but genetics also play a role in how stable a dog's temperament is, which on the one hand means a dog may be able to come through some pretty horrible experiences and have a solid enough temperament to still be totally happy and friendly with people, and on the other, a dog may just have been dealt such a cr*ppy genetic hand that even the most wonderful, proactive, attentive owner can not get them past their issues.

The other way to look at the idea of "it's always the owners fault" is to see it as saying that we, as humans, are ultimately responsible for the animals in our care. If you have a dog who bites someone, you are the one who allowed them the opportunity to do so. This version, to me, makes a lot more sense.
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

That's a great video. Beautiful dog and beautiful cat. I love Snowshoes.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks for posting that video. I really enjoyed watching it. How cute to see the dog and the cat with the chicks.
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM

I think a pit bull is a great dog, I have been around several and only seen 2, which were euthanized, that were aggressive. The ones I have been around were great, friendly and well socialized. They make excellent family dogs. People force these dogs to fight, it really isn't their nature to not run away. These fighting dogs were specially chosen to do what they do and it is a disgrace! Any dog provoked, cornered or otherwise unable to escape has no choice but to fight, it just so happens the pit has massive jaws. I really do believe people made them the way they are. I have worked with aggressive dogs for a few years of my life when I was younger and it amazed me how working properly with a dog, that already is agressive, can turn her around. I have seen more cases of Cockers, Chihuahua's, toy Poodles, Heelers, & Daschund's that I did not trust & as far as I was concerned, considered dangerous. I really do believe that people make the pit bull what it is. Through breeding with strong aggressive tendancies and just the way they choose to raise the dog. The most well intentioned owner can create a monster by raising that pup in simple ways that puts that dog in control. Completely by accident! Most pit bulls I have worked with would whip your leg with a long skinny tail and slop you in puppy kisses every chance possible!
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:36 AM

Here's the follow up videos

2 months later
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB14-uwYXfA&NR=1

1 year later
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjGafW-EX6w&NR=1

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Awww, this is too cute. The cat surprises me more then the dog.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

lol thanks growler, could a parent look any prouder of their little ones all growed up.
Old August 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM

You're right Pits are not mean dogs!

I'm laughing at the people that think that these dogs are bred with a bad temperment. I have a 13 year old female who adores children and has never bitten anything in her life. She's a wonderful obedient and loving companion and my only concern about her is that she has terrible hip displasia. We have another male, my sons dog Dante, who is almost 4 and the new dad of 11 puppies. He's absolutely the biggest lovingest lug you'd ever want to meet. Of course he's also extremely athletic, which would probably scare some people, but he's definetly NOT mean. Bella, who is the pups mom, also a child friendly, loving and smart dog, as far as I know no one besides the limited work I've done with her as ever taught her obedience, but she's a very quick study.
I would not worry about any of these dogs ever. And you can bet that I have absolutely zero tolerance for aggression. My golden retriever that liked to bite little kids taught me that one. LOL.
People are frightened by them, well they may not be the breed for everyone, but they are certainly my breed. I'm very proud of my dogs and their loving behavior and rough and tumble attitudes. I guess you might say that we are the example of pits that all live and get along together. No dog fighting here.