Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Bee sting worries

I've noticed a number of bees in our backyard area this year. We suspect that there are two different nests and we're going to take care of them but still I know there will always be bees outdoors in the summer.

What should I do if Cooper gets stung? There's no way to know if he's allergic right? But is it the same as it is in humans? Is there a chance of a very bad reaction? I'm really worried about having a life threatening situation.
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We worried about that, too... Our vet suggested keeping benadryl on hand--and told us the proper dose for the dogs (which I wrote down and keep in the benadryl box so it's there if I need it). I also believe they make the epi-pens in smaller doses, suitable for dogs, but I've never known anyone who used them.

After last summer, though, it appears that none of our dogs is severely allergic. The dogs discovered a ground bee nest in the basement yard and we had a few tense moments trying to get all 6 rounded up and the bees out of their fur... And then, because hubby is a little (ahem...a lot ) nervous about bees, I had to kill the 20 or so that were still flying around the house after we freed the dogs of them. We had our Benadryl handy, just in case, but none of the dogs reacted. (hazel was afraid that hubby was going to hyperventilate, however. )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
-

You definitely need to keep Benadryl on hand or the no name brand is just as good.....the ingredient needs to be diphenhydramine.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Joeysmama,

Our dog Currie was stung this past friday night and I was told by the emerg vet to give her benadryl, 3 doses in total of 25 mg each one pill every 6 hrs and it worked great. Her weight is 68 lbs. You will know if your dog has a reaction, Curries eyes swelled shut, her whole snout swelled up and she was having a hard time breathing. Her underside and inside her ears turned bright pink and she was hot to the touch in those spots.

I hope you never have to go through this with Cooper but its good to know the symptoms.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:41 AM

Both my dogs were stung last year and besides Benadryl, the other thing to do is to make sure the stinger is out of the dog. This isn't always easy with all the fur but try and find it.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:20 AM

Hi Joeysmama

I dont know if this will make you feel better or not, if you can tell if the bees are swarming and it appears that they are, not to worry, they are incapable of stinging during swarm, they are engorged with honey and cant physically bend their head into the stinging position. Plus, bees do not want to sting. It is too expensive. they die after a sting (if they are honeybees). Before you destroy the honeybees, especially if you do find the hive, please try and find a local beekeeper or biologist. A university or zoo would be a good first contact. Honeybees are in danger of becoming extinct b/c of various reasons, someone would be more than happy to come out and gather the hive and take them away for you, unharmed. They are very important to us and it would just take finding the right person to save everyone involved, including the bees and your family and pets, any harm.

Good luck.