Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 17th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Chronic Ulcerative Paradental Stomatitis - Canine

Hi Guys. I am new here, but quite desperate for some help. My little mixed breed (PoodleXBichon) is having chronic issues with his mouth due to these ulcers. My Vet is stumped as to what to do beyond pulling them all out. I am not on the same page yet. Does anyone out there have any history with these sores? I would love to get a feel as to what to do other than pulling out all of his teeth.
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:12 PM

What kind of oral care do you do for him? My girl has had one episode of mouth sores but no diagnosis (we have only had her for 2mos) yet as the sores have healed and no biopsy was done. How was your boy diagnosed? I have been brushing her teeth regularly and using an oral tonic (which has murh, goldenseal, tumeric, and some other anti bacterial, anti inflammatory properties that I cannot recall of hand). Not sure that this would be enough to help your dog but maybe worth a shot?
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like this is an inflammatory condition:
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com.../detail/141738
and you need to get at the cause of the inflammation, which may or may not be the teeth.

I would start with a homeprepared diet, preferably cooked while there are open sores.

Would also wonder about tick disease.
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:18 AM

I noticed the sores last summer. Doctor wanted to clear them up before cleaning his teeth. He seemed to be getting somewhat better. Just after a cleaning about 6 months ago, the sores came back, just not as bad. He has previously been on a combination of prednisone, flagyl and clavamox. I am also cleaning his teeth with Petzlife and a chlorhexadine rinse. Maybe not frequently enough? He is going back under next Friday and I am trying to see if there is anything that can save him from getting all of his teeth pulled. It seems that with this, they are allergic to the plaque in their mouths...
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:33 AM

BarknPurr: How are things with your pooch? How did it go at the vet? We were back at the vet yesterday and they are suspicious that Lucy has CUPS as well. At this point she presents with gingivitis and halitosis so we will continue with daily oral care and monitoring. Am considering a raw diet but need to research it further first. She also has other allergies.....
Would be interested in any updates you may have.
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Bartonella can cause mouth issues?

I might try some vitamin C in the form of sodium ascorbate, to help with allergies, or viral issues?