Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old September 4th, 2009, 01:45 PM

My first scaley baby

Been a long time since I've posted in this forum, and the first time I'm in the reptiles section! Just wanted to share pics of my newest little friend. He/she (we don't know yet) is a crested gecko. Gender will be determined in the next couple of months. Name is Salamance (it's a Pokemon - what else, when I have two young boys in the house? ). We're still getting used to each other, time will tell what kind of character he/she is.
Attached Images

Old September 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Cute little one!

I never had any reptiles but I am curious to know if they bond to you and what are your experiences with them?
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I love his sticky little feet
I love geckos. They have the cutest reptile award hands-down.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:32 PM

I don't know, BenMax. This is my first reptile ever. My nephew has a bunch. He is certainly bonded to them, if not the other way around! lol! It's definitely not like a dog, cat or other mammal, but there is a certain amount of recognition there, I think. His iguana certainly seems to enjoy his company over other people's.

True, Macomom. Don't they have sweet little smiles?
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome back WFF
I love little lizards and even big beautiful Iguanas,your little Gecko is really cute,how long is he/she?
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful little guy you have there!!

Absolutley they bond with their people! My parents are big reptile people, currently they own one female ball python named Suzie (she's close to four and a half feet now) and one male bearded dragon named Alfonzo. Suzie is fairly sociable with anyone that wants to handle her, but Alfonzo is not. He will sit forever with my Mom holding/petting/hand feeding him for as long as she wishes, and he will come to her when she calls him. He'll tolerate my Dad, but if my Mom is around he'll definitely try to crawl to her instead. With other people though, Alfonzo is not as friendly. I can't even catch him to hold him!

You'll have alot of fun with your gecko..be sure to keep us posted on your experiences with him/her!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

They do indeed have the sweetest little smiles. Are you sticking with one or will you get more?
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Thanks Chico. He/she is a little over 5" (about 13cm) long, nose to tail. I'm told they grow to about 8-10".

Macomom, it took every ounce of feminine wiles I have to get this one! I'm pretty sure bringing home another would result in divorce! Besides, I've had it ingrained in my psyche that "breeding is WRONG" for so long...I'm having a hard time dealing with the casual attitude towards breeding reptiles. There doesn't appear to be as much of an issue with breeding reptiles as there is with breeding dogs/cats, though. And apparently cresties are among the easiest to breed. I'd be afraid of bringing home another unsexed baby and then waking up one morning to find out ... Oops! I have a breeding pair and Oh, look, there's a little clutch of eggs!

Experiences? How's this one? First night we got him home, I fed him a little CGD (crested gecko diet) mix off the tip of my finger. He loved it, so I offered him the plastic baby food cap I had the rest of it on. He sprang onto the lid so fast it scared the living daylights out of me! Made me jump right out of my skin! As babies, they're very twitchy little buggers until they get used to being handled. Found out the hard way just how twitchy they are!
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What a little cutie! Normally not a big fan of crawlys but geckos are sort of sweet.
Nice to "see" you W4R.
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Hey folks. Here's an updated picture of the little critter all "fired up". That's what they call it when their colours get all dark and dramatic like in this pic (compare it to the original and you'll see what I mean). No one really knows why this happens, but they apparently do it once in a while, possibly when stressed, happy, hungry, bored...narrows it down, doesn't it?
Attached Images

Old September 11th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

oooh, beautiful!!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:03 PM

I know this thread is a little old but I have a suggestion to make.

I would NOT use bark chips (as I see in the picture) but instead use paper towel or coconut fiber. Its safer and with help with humidity.

Otherwise its is great that you are feeding CGD most people thing baby food is acceptable to give them but it is not.

Congrats! He has really nice patterning and colour.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Since the thread got opened up again, just wanted to say he is really cute. I like his "dramatic colouring".
My son was scared when one of our friends baby geckos jumped on him too. They move so fast- it is hard to be prepared for it.
I think they are so adorable.