Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old October 26th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Internet at Work

Just curious... do many people use the internet at work for personal use? I have this site running in the background often and sneak in to read some posts and maybe reply. Just curious if there are others that do the same. Or am I the only bad apple?
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Well, I work days, and most of my posts are between 8 am and 4 pm......soooo.... I guess you could say I use the Internet occasionally for personal use.

Really, my boss doesn't really care as long as I do my job, solve any problems that may arrise, and put in my 37 1/2 hours a week, she's cool with my surfing activities.

I use a computer for my daily job functions so it's not uncommon for me to be surfing. General common sense prevails though. No adult sites, no Internet radio (take up too many resources), and no downloading of illegally gained programs.

Part of my job function here is policy enforcement, so I try very hard not to break the rules.
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

My husband is in the military, and works in an office, filling out paper work and other stuff. He is ALWAYS on the internet, when there isn't anything for him to do. He goes to a site where there are funny videos to watch, and he also listens to internet radio, and checks email. He never gets into trouble. And his bosses know about it. Just as long as he gets ALL of his work done, and doesn't visit bad sites, he's ok.
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:45 AM

I use it while I'm at work too. After staring at a computer for 8 hours a day the last thing I want to do is go home and stare at another monitor!

I do my work first and limit the sites I go to. I look at my internet use as the equivalent to smoke breaks. I don't smoke so I don't get the breaks during the day that the smokers take...this is my way of relaxing for 10 minutes every now and then.
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Shih-Tzu Mommy

Guilty! I'm always in the internet! I start work opening my emails, do a little bit of work, internet, lunch, internet, little bit of work, internet, go home. That's basically my work schedule and I get things done! I'm quite upset on Mondays since it's busy at work and I don't get to go in the internet, well, maybe before I go home.
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:33 PM
<-----nut ball

My job involves using the internet almost constantly. It's always open. I only tend to use it on breaks or at lunch for personal use.
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Very guilty of the charges but what the heck I would loose my mind otherwise. I have been working in an office (very boring) since the government killed the film industry by cutting tax credits in Ontario and raising them in other provinces so bye bye work.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

i am writing my thesis, well finishing it anyway, i only use the internet for university work as i am external student, i live over 1000km from my uni so i speak to my supervisor through the comp. i used to teach last semester through my comp too, to external students in singapore, that was interesting, much prefer paper. email too

and you are all very special to me as this is the only site i really visit, yeah i check out libraries for uni and those sort of academic things, but this is the only site i visit at all in the net world.

and i do catch myself thinking about you guys during my day eg we will be having a hot conversation andi will often stop and wonder 'oh how is sneaky or cactus going to react to that one?' its funny even though you are all in my computer and not in person, i still have faces and personalities for you all
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I keep this site running in the background also. Mondays and Tuesdays are pretty busy in the library, but the rest of the week I don't have too much trouble keeping up if a topic is getting hot. I'm addicted! Last week, I had pneumonia and bronchial asthma and didn't get on the computer at all. I was staying at my mom's because my kitchen cabinets were being sanded and restained and the kitchen was being painted. I was going nuts not being able to get on-line. Missed all of you!
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:37 PM

I usually check this site when I first get into work in the mornings, then again just before I leave (just incase I may have missed something).
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I constantly am surfing (between those annoying fire calls that we have to respond to)
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:36 AM

I use the internet quite reguarly at work for personal use. I am always surfing as I am an event planner so I am always looking for hotels and suppliers! I always make sure that my work is done first though!
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Ha, ha, ha! Good to know that I'm not the only one. Whenever I have a few minutes at work I'm checking to see if there are new posts, surfing the net...
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I have the wonderful excuse that I teach internet programming languages, haha!! But I do on occasion check this forum @work. Then again, I do a lot of work @ home so it evens out. (How's that for rationalization?)
Old October 28th, 2004, 05:02 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh...........GUILTY!! My fiance gets a little perturbed because I'm always on the internet off and on all day(we work together at our own transmission shop). I work in the office and I don't always have work to do so I'm on the internet. The computer in the shop is the one from home!!!! I try to do all my surfing at work for now until we get a home computer which will hopefully be soon!!!!!