Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:14 PM
Chocolate

Unhappy Help! I'm fed up w Honey's PAWING!

not only does she do it to Chocolate, but me as well!

Yes, it's a form of attention, and she gets plenty of it.

I've tried pawing her back, that obviously hasnt worked for a moment, she probably treats it as a game. it's a habit or worse, something beyond her control

anyone have suggestions on how to reduce, if not eliminate, this behaviour?
Attached Images

Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Choco will have to sort it out himself

When she does it to you ignore her. Turn your back on her or get up and move away from her.

Holding on to her paws, staring at her or giving her any sign of attention if even a verbal 'no' gives her some attention.

Ignoring it is the best thing you can do.

Like the pic of her and the new beau...she shouldn't be jumping up

He's rewarding her by holding her paws like that. Should just turn and ignore her behaviour. Say 'off' and ignore it!

If she gets the idea of the word 'off' when she jumps up on you then you may eventually begin to use that when she's really pawing at choco a lot.

Honey's always been pawsy and pokey...she wants to have the centre of attention. She would constantly bug me even at the computer, poke poke and paw and jump up. Just to get my attention. So I made no eye contact or communication with her...just ignored it and eventually she walked away.

A few mins later I would approach her or call her to me and give her attention that way.

It should work but ya have to be consistent. If she has been allowed to get away with it for a long period of time she'll wonder why suddenly she can't do it any longer. Will take time!

She's a good kid! So are u
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Chocolate

Luba, ur not that old, are you, calling me a KID?

Anywho, what disappoints me is that after a month w u, she was still pawing.... and now that she's been doing it soooooooo many months later, it's gonna be an extra long elimination process

*chanting*

I think I can, I think I can...

thanx luba,

are there any suggestions for quicker results?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well golly geeze thx, I wouldn't mind being called a kid!

Oh funny thing, some lady said to me the other day what was it now...pondering (memory going lol)...

Was talking with someone in general conversation, she wasn't all that much older then me maybe only 10 yrs and she said to me 'Well aren't you a good girl'

I raised my eyebrow (you know like how John Black does on Days haha) then thought okay well thats alright, I won't care about that one, woo hooey!

About Miss Honey Bee well, I don't think you're gonna have any quick results my dear. Persistence and time I think! She was really really bad when I first brought her from the shelter but a LOT of shelter dogs are like velcro, they wanna be next to you always!

By the way has this gotten worse since your new boyfriend has been in the picture? Seems like if it has could be a change in the home thats bothering her. Getting attached to someone they leave etc... it affects them like it would us, through emotions.

Just a thought.

Seriously try ignoring her completely when she does it. But when she isn't doing it, give her attention!

'Kid' lol
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:22 PM

I have 3 Goldens that do this. One not too bad, the other a little worse, but the new one Ricki! Whew! My arms and legs look like I have got beaten. As she is about 7-yrs old, there is no way to change her habits now. This is not only an attention getter, it is a stress reliever for her. When a storm is coming etc... the pawing gets worse. We just had her groomed and her nails shortened, but oh my, they hurt! My husband is threatening to duct tape her paws to the floor (just kiddin for those that think otherwise )

We thought about socks and a few other things. With my other golden girls, we started to squeeze their paws a little harder and they are doing much better.

Heather, Shelby, Lexi and Ricki
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Lightbulb

My mom's toy poodle, Corky, was begging at the table (barking). We taught him to say "please" and he stopped the barking. Guess he figures he won't do it for "free". Maybe if you have him "shake hands", the reverse psychology will work as well. Just a dumb idea.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Now THAT is funny!!!

You got your wit on! go girl!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

My Chico(black cat)actually does the same if he wants attention,it is cute and of course easier to deal with since he is much smaller than Honey,but Chico does it to me when I am in bed too and sticks his wet nose in my face,if I don't react he'll paw me.I often fall asleep with his paw in my hand
Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:57 AM

I know it must be annoying (my cat has a habit of lying on your hands) but it is so darn cute!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:57 PM
Chocolate

no, no, no! it's not cute

*whining* make it stop... make it stop

Luba, actually it was da hubby who came up with the idea
Old July 4th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Laugh Out Loud

I'm sure you are very frustrated. Pets are like toddlers they can drive you bananas...............but it is pretty cute.....I liked the pic you posted.