Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 11th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, I am having a heart attack! If one of the babies falls over, will they be able to fly back?????

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,nailbiting for sure,that's a long way down
Do you think they could fly??
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,on the webcam I see only 3 babies,but maybe one is hiding
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, it looks like one is ready to fly off.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Whew, safe,

I only see 3 too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 12th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Waiting for breakfast!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

All 4 safe

Thanks for keeping us updated, Winston.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Counting 1,2,3,4
I can't believe how they are already starting to look like mom and dad,it's amazing..
Yes Winston,a big thank you from me too
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Love this one!

hey sis do you think we ate to much breakfast? I dont know about you but I cant move!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Old June 15th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

ONE FLEW OVER THE FALCONS' NEST!

June 15, 2009 - Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: At approximately 11:10 this morning one of the chicks flew from the nest ledge to the nearby Thompson Building, where it landed safely. One of the things Falconwatchers look for as the chicks develop is 'helicoptering', which occurs when heavy wing flapping results in the bird lifting itself a few inches above the ledge. This happened about 10 minutes before the first flight (image at left). Usually there are more than a few helicoptering efforts before a young Peregrine flies for the first time, but not in this case. Stay tuned.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh,I hope he will be ok
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I have been away for a few days and there is alot happening with the falcons...heres an update fromt he site"

LEARNING TO FLY

June 18, 2009 Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: Today Dixon and Durand learned about flying. Dixon was the first to take off. At 11:45 he left the Standard Life window ledge where he had spent the night and made his way to the roof of that building. He stayed there until 19:30 when he flew to the roof of the Sheraton. He kept looking down to the nest, wanting to get back home, but after two attempts during which he flew around the Sheraton and surrounding buildings, he eventually came to rest on a Standard Life window ledge - in almost exactly the same spot where he spent all of last night!

Durand flew several times today too. Her first flight at 14:50 was a little shaky and she spent a short while on a sloped window ledge on the Fairclough building, but her next flights were strong and direct. She flew from Fairclough back to the Thompson building, then later to the roof of Standard Life.

Despite doing lots of hard flapping, Strathcona and Gleig stayed put on the nest ledge all day. Strathcona seemed to be a bit bossy. A few times, as in the image at left, it looked like she was trying to convince Gleig to leave home! The adults were kept busy delivering food to all of the chicks. An interesting observation that Falconwatchers have made this past week is that the adults seem to be working together when they hunt. Yesterday and today watchers have observed Madame X and Surge make a tandem, mid air hit on a pigeon. Friday should be interesting - the Hamilton hockey rally is taking place right in the middle of the Peregrines' turf.

With one successful rescue already made, the 2009 on-street Falconwatch is going at full speed. Volunteers are on site from 05:00 to dusk to be available to help any chick that may come to the ground. More volunteers are needed. If you can contribute some time in two-hour shifts over the next two to possibly three weeks, we would like to hear from you. Please email us at: falconwatch@hwcn.org

Our fundraising efforts are ongoing - YOU CAN HELP with Falconwatch's expenses by clicking on the 'Make a Donation to help Falconwatch!' link above.

A QUIET END TO A BUSY DAY

June 17, 2009 - Part 2: Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: After this morning�s excitement, Falconwatchers had a pretty quiet day rest of the day. The rain that fell most of the afternoon and evening likely had something to do with this. Birds do not generally like to fly when they are wet and even the adults were very inactive today. Ten hardy people who braved the misty rain to take part in the Hamilton Naturalists' Club Wednesday night walk learned about Peregrines and their history in Hamilton, saw through telescopes the two chicks still in the nest, and visited Falconwatch�s Jackson Square Mall TV monitor information site.

Once Durand settled down on the roof of the Thompson building this morning she seemed happy to stay put, and was still there when we left tonight. (After a closer look at the photos, we know that it was Strathcona who accidentally bumped Durand into her first flight.) Around 10:30 Dixon left the sign on the King Street side of Standard Life, flew northeast by the Sheraton and tried to land on the east roof of Standard Life. He did not have quite enough height and ended up missing, coming to rest on a window ledge on that side of the building, 2 floors down from the roof. While this is a nice high perch, the window ledges are narrow and are not a very comfortable roost. Despite some flapping and moving about, Dixon seemed to lack the nerve to fly again. He too was still in the same spot when we left tonight. As long as there is no heavy rain, I expect both birds to test their wings again tomorrow (and maybe someone from the nest will join them too!)

THE 'D's DO IT - THREE AWAY!

June 17, 2009 - Part 1: Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: At 05:35 this morning Dixon left the ledge, flew in a nice arc over the Art Gallery of Hamilton and the school board parking lot, then tried to land on the main roof of the Standard Life building. He missed that one but landed a few feet below on top of the 'I-F-E' letters of that building's King Street sign. The adults kept a close eye on everyone and things seemed quiet until 07:12 when it appeared that Strathcona accidentally bumped Durand off the ledge. (The image at left shows Durand, closest to the camera, and Strathcona, just before Durand left the ledge.) All of a sudden we had two chicks on first flights! Durand flew in an opposite arc, going first over the Art Gallery and then back across to the Thompson Building, where she landed and immediately began squawking loudly. After a while she settled down and started exploring. Stay tuned. Things could get interesting if the expected rain is not heavy. Visitors to this evening's Wednesday Night Walk may get a good show.

STRATHCONA BACK HOME - WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM HER FRIENDS!

June 16, 2009: Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: Strathcona remained on the roof of the Thompson building for most of today. At 15:05 Madame X delivered a pigeon to her; her first meal since leaving the nest yesterday morning. However, Strathcona did not get to enjoy much of this meal. Surge came down to the roof several times and tried to take the food from her. After chasing him away several times, Strathcona finally allowed him to take it. After a little plucking, Surge took it up to the ledge to feed to the other chicks.

At 18:45 Strathcona took off from the Thompson building. She flew to the Sheraton but did not get enough height, and after unsuccessfully gripping a window ledge flew again. This time she circled over the Art Gallery and tried to land on the Thompson building. Again lacking the needed height, she slipped down the side and landed on the stairs to the plaza by the Stelco tower. From here she took a short, low flight and ended up in the Jackson Square Plaza between the Sheraton and Copps Coliseum where she was rescued by Falconwatchers. After a brief examination showed her to be in very good health she was returned to the roof of the Sheraton. In a very short time she was up on the edge of the roof and by 20:20 she had hopped back into the nest to rejoin her siblings. The first thing she did when she got back home was eat the leftovers from the pigeon that had been delivered first to her this afternoon. Images at left: top - the three stay-at-homes on the ledge at 20:20:30. (Note the food behind them.); bottom � ten seconds later Strathcona has arrived back on the ledge.

The other chicks were very active today, doing lots of flapping and 'helicoptering'. It probably won't be long before we have another chick testing its wings!

STRATHCONA FIRST TO FLY!

June 15, 2009: Part 2 - Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: By late afternoon we were able to get a good view of the chick that flew to the Thompson building and by reading her band identified her as Strathcona. (The image at left shows her on the upper ledge, facing Surge, seconds before she flew.) Strathcona spent the entire day on the upper roof of the Thompson building, exploring the roof top and ledges. She seemed quite content to stay there until this evening. Around 8PM, while walking along the edge of the upper roof, she lost her footing and slipped down to the lower roof. She landed there safely and proceeded to spend quite a while pacing back and forth along the west side of the lower roof. She kept looking around and seemed to be trying to decide where to go and whether she could make it back to the nest ledge. She was probably quite hungry by this point as she had not been fed since 7:40AM. Madame X and Surge flew close by several times today and also chased off some gulls that were bothering her, but neither adult delivered food to Strathcona. Around 20:45 Strathcona decided to spend the night on the south west corner of the Thompson building and settled down. Stay tuned to see where she decides to go tomorrow.

The three chicks on the ledge continued their flapping exercises but seem happy to stay at home for now. Those left on the ledge are fairly easy to tell apart. Dixon is the smallest and he has pale coloured feet. Gleig also has pale feet, however she is a very large, very dark bird. Durand has yellow feet.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

update from today!

UP! UP! AND NOT FAR AWAY!

June 19, 2009 Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: Even though there was lots of activity downtown today, with the hockey rally and other goings on, it was business as usual with our falcon family. Dixon and Durand were both active early and were up and flying by 05:30. Although they had a few touchy moments and rough landings, by this evening both birds were flying well and are both showing a lot more confidence than they did yesterday. Both Dixon and Durand were doing a bit of soaring (a good sign that they are developing their skills) and both also did some flying with Surge by their sides. At almost exactly Noon Dixon became the first chick to make it back to the nest ledge under its own power. In the image at left he has just arrived and looks a bit out of breath - or is it just surprise that he made it OK?

Strathcona also tried out her wings again today. At 08:00 she left the nest and made a strong flight over the Board of Education parking lot out of the Falconwatchers' view. She remained "missing" until about 09:15 when she was found on the roof of the Standard Life building, where she stayed until 11:00 when she flew and ended up on the top window ledge on the south side of the Standard Life building. She seemed to decide that this was enough for one day and was still there at dusk. Gleig is still at home in the nest. She did lots of very strong flapping while leaning over the edge and many times we were sure she was going to get airborne. Stay tuned to find out when she finally decides to fly - it should be any day now.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I just have to check in on the site,it's great that all 4 are dong good
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:25 PM

Here is the link for the follow up for the falcon nest on the lift bridge in Hamilton. There isn't a camera on this nest though. Sadly one of the babies went missing and no one knows what happened to it.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w...n-lift-bridge/
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Sandra,I love to see the Falcons and that so many people are interested in their welfare
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM

It's nice to see the numbers climbing after what a mess the pesticides did many years ago.