Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM

Question Time to change vets?

Hi,

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I'm not sure if some of you remember, but back in October my little Chihuahua nearly died from an allergic reaction to his annual vaccines. He's 3 years old now, and with each year his reactions got worse. Last year, he was given Benadryl prior to getting his shots, and they split them into two separate sessions, one week apart, and he STILL nearly ended up dying from massive seizures. At the time, my vet stated "no more shots for him", and I agreed.

Well, I just took him in for his yearly physical and heartworm test, and much to my surprise, my vet was actually trying to convince me to let him try to vaccinate him again in 2 years (since rabies is legally only required every 3 years). I JUST ABOUT FELL OUT OF MY SEAT!!! After everything the dog (and myself) went through, I cannot believe he even wants me to consider it. Last year he told me he would give me a letter stating why the dog could not be vaccinated just in case something were to happen, and now he wants me to "try"? I don't take my dog out for walks anymore since he can't be vaccinated against some of the diseases he may catch from other dogs, but I do make sure he's well exercised in my big back yard. So my question is this: what are the chances of him getting bitten by another animal in my own back yard (he's always supervised and never left outside alone), versus dying from getting vaccinated, which we know has already nearly killed him?

Is it me? I know I'm a very responsible pet owner, and would only want the best for my pet, but I just don't understand this. I don't think the risks outweigh the benefits for THIS dog. I would never consider NOT having him vaccinated unless his life would be in danger and I know that it would be.
I thought the vet was wonderful at the time because he did do everything in his power to save his life, but now I'm questioning why he's gone from that extreme to one where I'm made to feel that my pet is somehow "disposable"?
I don't want him to be some kind of guinea pig for some sick experiment. I mean if you had a child who you knew had a severe peanut allergy, would you allow someone to give him a peanut to "see what happens"?

Can someone please tell me if I'm off my rocker or if I'm the sane one?
Should I be looking for a new vet?

Thanks for reading.

Old June 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Just to clarfiy, is your current vet suggesting all regular vaccines or just the Rabies?
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM

Well, since they aren't really sure exactly which vaccine it is, they were saying ALL vaccines. He's ok with the heartworm medicine though.
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:51 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Request a titer test immediately before they go giving your pup ANYTHING. I actually am currently fighting my vet on this for Peaches, not because she's had a bad reaction, but because I feel some of this is just unnecessary given her living conditions (which are EXCELLENT if I do say so myself).

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

The part of the vaccine that typically causes severe reactions in some dogs is lepto, there are different types of vaccines some are modified and some use a live virus, maybe arrange to have a chat with your vet at the end of his/her work day to sit down and explain what and why he or she want to do, often during visits they do not have time to go into actual details and it can lead to misunderstandings, it will give you a chance to explain your worries as well and it may help to come to a resolution that you can be comfortable with
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:00 PM
Performance Spaniels

Which vaccs did your chi get last time in 2 sessions? Did he react after both sessions?

I'd want to sit down with the vet and ask why he changed his mind. I'd feel like my pet was disposable too if they said no vaccs and then started pushing again. I don't get the 4 in 1 shot every year. I think we'll titer next year..
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:43 AM

I agree with Jawert. Get the titers first and go from there. To me, your vet should be more openminded about this, especially since severe allergies are involved.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
owned by Tucker

My mums dog had a sevear reaction to the rabies shot, about 4 years ago and has not had it again since. She gets her other shots under a watchful eye and benedryl and so far no problems. Their vet said that alot of dogs get reaction to the rabies shots and told them that as long as they don't let her out with out one of them being with her he has no problem in her going with out this shot.