Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 12th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy I am so worried

Chrunchie has blood in her urin once again...third time in 8 months...Baytril is too dangerous for her age ( +16years old)...anyone has any suggestions. I will be calling the vet first thing in the morning, but she will probably give me baytril again... Has anyone had any of this happen to their kitty...I sure can use some advise just about now. Thanks
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:04 PM
-

cpietra16 , my vet explained to me that the special cat food they give you in these cases is all you need. They give antibiotics so the cat feels better and actually eat the food that will help with their urine. So when Paddy got some blood in his urine , I didn't give him any meds , just the special food (SO by Royal Canin I think) and it did the trick. That's when I started to give them raw and Paddy never had any urine problems again.
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy , I would love to start her on raw but she's +16 years old and I don't think she'll adapt too easily. I will try it though. I hate to take her to the vets just to be told that she needs meds....which I know ofcourse, but I want it to work permanently...not just for a few months. This poo rthing has had this problem for almost a year now...I need better results. Do you think switvhing to raw will give me result or should I start her on the royal Canin, first...I know +16 is old, but I never had a cat die on me before 22 years of age and frankly 16 is way too young. :sad:
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Chrunchie now eats origene cat/ kitten formula. Before that she was on Wellness, and before that can't remember but it was all protein diet kind of food.
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Chrunchie now eats origene cat/ kitten formula. Before that she was on Wellness, and before that can't remember but it was all protein diet kind of food.
But all dry food, right? Switching to raw might be tough at 16, but do you think you could get her eating canned food? Cause honestly, kibble is the number one cause of urinary tract problems in cats.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:47 PM
-

Quote:
Do you think switvhing to raw will give me result or should I start her on the royal Canin, first...
Right now she needs the special Royal Canin SO , if there's crystals this food will break them , if there's a blockage this food will unblock it. Once it's settled , you could try wet food like Sugarcatmom suggested , it's all about water.

What I do : in the morning , kibble with wet food + water to make a kind of soup. At night for supper : raw meat. But that's me.
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:49 PM
-

Oh and about the SO food , Paddington wouldn't eat the kibble so I mixt the SO kibble + the SO wet food and some water and voila.

Good luck
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I have another question about the antibiotic usage. Has your vet actually done a culture & sensitivity on a sterile urine sample (from cystocentesis)? Most urinary tract problems in cats are not actually bacterial, so just randomly throwing antibiotics at the problem isn't very helpful. It would be a good idea to refuse further antibiotics without a C&S.

As for some other gentler options (besides changing to wet food), you can try Cosequin, which helps strengthen the lining of the bladder: http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...ointHealth.asp

Quote:
Some veterinarians also recommend Cosequin to help maintain urinary bladder health. The inner lining of the bladder wall is protected by a layer, which contains some of the same compounds as are found in cartilage. This layer keeps urine and the waste products contained within it from seeping into and affecting the lining. Since the low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate found only in Cosequin is available to more than just cartilage cells, the bladder may use it to help support this protective layer.
I'd also suggest adding either marshmallow root or corn silk to her food, as both have soothing properties to the mucus membranes of the bladder and urinary tract.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Chrunchie has blood in her urin once again...third time in 8 months...
What does Crunchie eat?