Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old September 22nd, 2004, 07:34 PM
banned user

57 Golden Retriever's Rescued

Look at this and anyone who is able please help, many need new homes Ottawa Citizen paper http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawac...5-7e6d7636e806http://ws/story.html?id=03177d69-b3e...5-7e6d7636e806

Check out the Secours Golden Retriever Rescue Québec
http://www.geocities.com/goldenrescueqc/Adoptions.htm
Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:15 PM

doing all i can....and hopes and prayers from all to these poor souls
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

OH my gawd!! Those poor babies. I hope everyone thinking of getting a puppy at a petstore sees this.

I will post the article on my site, and hope for help. And hope whoever did this atrocity contracts a fatal and very painful disease.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:47 PM

Terrible story, I don't understand what for did she keep so many dogs?
You can not sell visually sick, hungry, dirty dogs, so why keep them in this condition? if for breeding - why so many? puppies born in these sonditions would not look sellable too... Did this woman do that just because she is mentally sick? I don't see any reasons for doing things like this........
There are many people here who know better, could you pls explain me?
Old September 24th, 2004, 01:51 AM

57 Goldens Rescued.....

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum.

I am the administrator of www.MississaugaPets.com and have posted messages on my Message Board in regards to Donation, Fostering and Adopting these poor Goldens.

http://server.com/WebApps/guestbook.cgi?id=65556

I personally have a Golden, Jasper, that was rescued at the age of 9.5 years. He had been abused and left in a kennel where he couldn't stand up straight for over a year. Jasper had been left when the house he lived at was sold. The new owners kept him in the kennel for over a year and finally called Animal Control to pick him up. There was no room for him so he was going to be put down. A worker there thought he was too good a dog for that to happen to so they called around to find someone to rescue him. The MHS went and got him.

We had just lost our dog who was almost 16 and decided to volunteer to help out our local Humane Society. When I first saw Jasper he cringed, rolled over and could not walk straight. He was full of burrs and a real mess. I said that we would "foster" him to help out. He was unresponsive and a very sad soul. We showered him with love and attention and he finally came around to be a "dog" again. Needless to say, after fostering for a week I knew he had a permanent home with us. Now at 13, Jasper is the most loving and loyal dog that you could imagine. Even at the age of 9.5, when we got him, he was ready to bond with someone who respected him and treated him kindly.

Goldens are known for needing human contact and love.

If anyone is hesitant about giving one of these poor Goldens a chance at happiness, I just wanted them to know that it can be done, even with an "old" abused Golden. Just supply lots of patience and love.

Dale
Old September 24th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Oh Dalead...Im' sitting here crying. You saved one beautiful dog there. Isn't it strange how they can forgive....how they love no matter what happens? We rescued "Lady" an older GSD with tumors, who was to be put down by the Mississauga Humane Society, we had her for 4 years, 1 week before the big c got her; she too was abused, not fed...but, even though she had bad hips, arthritis, her nervous system was breaking down, she would protect me with every fiber of her being. I miss her every day of my life.
A dog is an endearing confidant who always listens and gives the best advise - which is to give no advise at all. A dog is one of the few constants a person can count on in an unpredictable, ever-changing world. Debanneball
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Angry No Excuse

Wow,

There's absolutely no excuse for treating an animal the way these goldens were treated! These are the SWEETEST dogs! (As are all dogs)

But can you believe it "The owner of the house has not been identified since charges are still pending," ...Charges are pending...something is wrong here...I don't know why we don't have animal police like they do in the States! Its not fair that these poor pups can be so neglected and the people get away with it!

Ok, now this is making me sick! "the woman was left with 25 dogs, under the condition that she take some of them for veterinary care." Yeah right! If the women had any brains she would've done that before and wouldn't have kept so many dogs in such a small area! I wouldn't have let her keep any of the dogs..I'm still crying...poor things...

That's my soapbox for today,

Joelle
Old September 24th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
"the woman was left with 25 dogs, under the condition that she take some of them for veterinary care."

Why is cruelty to animals no big deal? They suffer just as much as people do, except they can't complain about it.
Old September 24th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

They really need to start setting examples of these people and prosecute them to the fullest extent of are lame laws and plaster them all over the papers. Maybe they could stop trying to find stories about pit bulls and do something constructive like get these slimey people out in the public eye and it might wake up them up as to how we end up with so many animals in dire need. It would also show why we have so many animals that become aggressive and not trusting of humans. Or we could just hang them in the city centre
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:33 PM
banned user

I heard on the radio that the SPCA went back and took 27 more dogs today, I don't understand why there were any dogs left there last time Has anyone heard about this, I hope I was hearing wrong. Deland thanks that is a great story and yes how said is this how can anyone do this a any animal.
Old September 24th, 2004, 10:25 PM
banned user

I found this page http://www.ospca.on.ca/libr_pr_2004_Sep20.html
They did leave dogs there outside that day. I don't get it why?
Old September 25th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Public stocks and flogging - time to bring them back!
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:31 AM
lilpaws

Unhappy Unreal inhumanity!

This is so sick! I don't understand why some people have no humanity. She must have been mentally ill. I am trying to find a dog in calgary to join our family and there are so many heartbreaking stories. What is it with people who breed for the money? I don't get it at all, these are lives not inanimate objects to be sold, traded, abused... I better stop before I lose it at work. Anyway, my prayers are with those souls.
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:46 PM

Latest news:

SPCA seizes 23 remaining dogs from Montague Township home.
After honking twice, officials with the SPCA and Lanark Animal Welfare Society cut the thick chain on a fence that kept trespassers from entering Gloria Bennett's property.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This tiny piece was seen on the Electronic Ottawa Citizen this morning.

Thank heavens.........I am sure many of us are relieved to hear this news.
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:25 PM
banned user

They actually printed her name ........Big mistake,
big, HUGE
Old September 28th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I think it is great the printed her name. She broke the laws and needs to be called on it if she robbed a store they would publish her name. They should have published a picture as well. I am sorry I have absolutley no compassion for these abusers.
Old September 28th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

This is such a sad story I had tears in my eyes, I hate to see animals treated like that and than they have the nerve to say I do not think she meant to hurt them and you always hear people saying oh they only need to be educated, oh hard is it to feed water and provide a good home for your dog. I mean if that is all she ever did (basic needs) that would have been better than the way they were living. Oh, I hope all these babies get a good loving him!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:00 PM

Smile 57 Golden Retrievers Rescued

Just to update everyone, I got this from the Lanark Animal Welfare Services website.
__________________________________________________ _______________
News

Thank you
We want to thank the community (and beyond) for their donations and support during the recent canine rescue. More than 50 Golden Retrievers in various states of health crisis arrived at our shelter the week of September 13th. Fortunately, we have been able to place the majority of these wonderful animals in loving homes. A few remain with us until they are emotionally and physically able to be adopted.
A very special thanks to a young member of our community. Caitlynn Onis initiated a donation drive at her school in support of the Golden Retrievers. Caitlin, what a special person you are. We appreciate your donation and support. Also, thanks to the ongoing support of Kathy Hasler She graciously came to the aid of an overwhelmed staff (and volunteers) at the shelter during this crisis. Kathy, as always, you were there for us. Caitlin and Kathy were among many who came to the shelter offering dollars and time. Thanks also to the following for their media coverage...The New RO, Ottawa Citizen, EMC, Smiths Falls Record News. If we've missed anyone, our apologies. P.S. Bruce Peever of the EMC/Record News....thanks for your continued support. You are our "Champion".

Old October 5th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

reading about Gloria is very depressing I feel so badly for those dogs..................Gloria I hope you rot in hell
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:22 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinah
Why's that?
It's a quote from a movie... as if I were to say "oh boy.. she's in trouble now" before they printed her name she only had the city to answer to. Now she has to answer to all the animal lovers.
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy
It's a quote from a movie...
"Pretty Woman", right?
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:13 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
"Pretty Woman", right?
Of course....we all know/love that Movie

That and "The way we were".... I know we have the same song playing in our head right now. (Memories..... )