Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:47 PM

Mouthwash for mouth sores

Some of you who have seen my earlier thread will be familiar with the week long story of Shadow. In short, we recently had a tumor removed from his belly but have still been unable to convince him to eat (even with a stimulant). He appears interested in food, but spits it out.

We took him to the vet and he said his tongue is quite irritated. He prescribed a mouthwash they use in the radiation department for cats with mouth sores - it's supposed to numb the area so they'll be willing to eat. Well, I think the third time, I managed to get about half of it IN his mouth - this took two people to do and once it was done, he salivated so heavily that I'm not sure it got anywhere important. We haven't had this much trouble with the liquid pain medication.

Anyone have any suggestions for a pain relieving wash that might not be so hard on him? I think it's just Lydacaine - seems like they could suspend it in malt or something they may not hate so much.

In any case, here's hoping for an easy solution to this particular problem - eventually, when I get all the info, I'll be posting about suggestions for chemo since we have to go that route, but right now, I'd be happy to get him to eat!!!
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry about the trouble you are having with your kitty. I hav eno idea if this will work or not but maybe try some Apple Cider Vinegar. Get the cloudy vinegar with the "mother" in it. Apple Cider Vinegar has healing attributes. You can take a look at a website called EARTH CLINIC they have wonderful homepathic type remedies.
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:43 PM

We got him to eat almost a whole jar of beef baby food. He also just ate a bug!
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:29 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

oh yea!!!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:51 AM

Hi:

Just in case the problem isn't quite solved, here is another possible suggestion. By the way, what kind of bug did he eat?

I have been monitoring your previous threads on Shadows problems, and it sure has been an ordeal for all concerned.

Something I have used in the past on my animals having mouth and digestive problems is Aloe Vera juice. It could be worth a try. It does have a healing and soothing ability when taken internally, as well as aiding in digestion. I would try to get 2 teaspoons of Aloe Vera juice into Shadow over the day using an eye dropper. I would administer two eye droppers full at a time, and taking a few minutes every time. Administering about a quarter of an eyedropper each time you put it in his mouth, and try to apply it in both sides of his mouth to make sure the whole mouth gets coated with juice. An eyedropper will take about 1 ML so you will be giving Shadow about five treatments a day.

The juice I use is Lily of the desert, and its marked "Preservative-free". It does have a pH stabilizer in it - citric acid. There are a couple of other good quality brands out on the market but the names are not coming to me right now.

Check out the organic apple cider vinegar and see if there is a way that you can use it as well. There are a lot of benefits to apple cider vinegar both to us and our pets, I have an apple cider vinegar and soda every day (scotch free). The people that got me started on apple cider vinegar used to put it in their cats drinking water, and it was a small amount so as not to affect the taste of the water too much, and turn the cats off of drinking.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:27 AM

Thanks so much! We'll try these out just in case. He's definitely improving though - aside from the bug (which was moving too fast for me to see) - he ate 1 1/2 ounces of the high calorie AD food the vet prescribed. l

Hopefully, this problem a, at least, is taken care of. We see the oncologist on Tuesday so I'll probably be looking for advice on that next.

You know, a few years back my beautiful baby Gus (a gray and white longhair kitty with a bowtie) died very suddenly. He was sitting on my lap purring and then he vomited up this clear liquid and started crying in a way I've never heard. 20 minutes later at the ER they told me that I fast-growing tumor in his belly had burst and there was nothing they could do. Only that week I'd noticed that he wasn't eating. It was so sudden. Looking at what we're going through with Shadow, I'm almost glad it went that way - I only had about 20 minutes of worry before I was dealing with grief. I hope we can find a way to make the last few months with Shadow good for both him and us.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinskitties View Post
Thanks so much! We'll try these out just in case. He's definitely improving though - aside from the bug (which was moving too fast for me to see) - he ate 1 1/2 ounces of the high calorie AD food the vet prescribed. l
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter