Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
it sounds like she's making progress already, thats awesome! Every time you hear her crying, just tell her softly that she'll thank you later....which she will!!!!!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM
-

Started to read the thread expecting bad news but she's already doing better ! good job SCM !!

Hope she delivers without any incidents but since she's eating ... that's a good sign ! Oh and for the crying .... one of my foster cat (Daisy) cried for the first 2-3 days when she got here. Maybe she only needs time to settle down.
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

scm...sounds like u are doing a wonderful job!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Breakthrough

She came up and gave me the biggest head-butt just now! And then went crazy for pets, but in this clumsy, "is this how it's done?" way. Still hasn't used the litter box yet, and it's gotta be about 24 hrs now. Yikes. I have one box with dirt and one with Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract in there. Hopefully in the morning I'll wake up to a present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Can you remember approx how long ago you noticed she was pregnant? That would give us some sort of a jump off point.
I'm so bad with that kinda thing. I think I talked myself out of recognizing she was pregnant numerous times, so I can't really pinpoint it. But if this helps, I trapped the last tom cat in the neighbourhood, a long-haired grey polydactyl, on May 9th. So it likely was before then, unless she went outta the hood for her nooky.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; July 1st, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:12 PM
Catlover2

Great news, she's a smart cookie, and a head butt=hug, so she's already calling you moma! She knows what side her bread's butterd on, as the saying goes. As for her due date, say she got bred on May 1st, that would make due date July 3-5 or thereabouts, so not too long now.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwwww, SCM, that is wonderful You must be in heaven and your heart must be singing

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
She came up and gave me the biggest head-butt just now! And then went crazy for pets, but in this clumsy, "is this how it's done?" way. Still hasn't used the litter box yet, and it's gotta be about 24 hrs now. Yikes. I have one box with dirt and one with Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract in there. Hopefully in the morning I'll wake up to a present.
I'm so bad with that kinda thing. I think I talked myself out of recognizing she was pregnant numerous times, so I can't really pinpoint it. But if this helps, I trapped the last tom cat in the neighbourhood, a long-haired grey polydactyl, on May 9th. So it likely was before then, unless she went outta the hood for her nooky.

Marvelous!! You are both doing wonderfully!! I bet babes are coming soon.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

We have pee AND poop!!! X2. The Dr Elsey's won. Her poop is a little on the soft side, but not mushy. She ain't very good at cleaning her rear right now though, it must be uncomfortable for her to bend that far. I might have to see if she'll let me give her a gentle wipe-down with a damp cloth.

There's a bit of a new issue now. She's realized the door is where the action is and does this thing where she sticks her paws under it and pulls. She can't do anything, but makes a fair bit of noise. And she cries. Poor Aztec, who has been amazing so far with all of this, is a little freaked out by that. Not so much that he won't walk by the door, but enough that he's being very cautious and suspicious when he's near it. Scared the crap out of me last night when she first started doing this, so I went in her room and lay down on the carpet. She came over and started spooning with me!!! OMG, what a little love bug. But she gets so upset when I have to leave, that last night I only got 3 hours of sleep max. And the night before, maybe only 1 hour. So needless to say, I'm exhausted. And I have to go to work. Oy. I left my bathrobe in there with her for now, hoping that will sooth her while I'm gone. Then maybe later I'll take a pillow in there and have a nap with her.

Thanks everyone for your amazing support! I thought I was on the verge of losing it, but things are looking a bit better now. I'll see if I can get some pics soon.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

SCM,you better get your camera out right nowand don't forget beautiful Aztec
We have a kitty-food guru on our Forum,her name is Sugar something,she'll soon be on here,be prepared

I think maybe this little girl is not as feral as you thought,which is wonderful,so glad she does not have kittens out there somewhere,but still in her tummy..
I don't mean it's a good thing she's preggers,but since she is she's found a haven with you,for sure
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Heh, isn't it funny how excited we get when we see poop?

I'm glad she's feeling more comfortable. She sounds like a wonderful girl! I can't wait to see some pictures. *hint hint*
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Obviously she was a house cat before if she knows how to open doors.

Can you lock Aztec up for a bit to allow momma to explore for a bit?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
-

Quote:
We have pee AND poop!!! X2.
yesssssssss !

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I second that !

I'm sure Aztec will get use to the "new" noise
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like you are on the right track. As for the litter box, did she pee and poop in it? if not, just pick up her poop and place it in the litter box. She will go in and try to bury it.

you know, if you don;t want to feel exhausted...you may need to move in with her... sleeping buddies
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
You must be in heaven and your heart must be singing
Indeed!!! Such an extreme contrast from yesterday, when I felt like the biggest meanie ever. She flops down and looks up at me with her amazing blue (and ever so slightly crossed) eyes. I could just melt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I bet babes are coming soon.
I think you're right, like maybe even today. It was hard to get a really good look, but I thought I saw the smallest drop of milky substance on the tips of her 2 back nipples this morning. And she's definitely restless, although that could also be from being cooped up. You can really see the kittens moving too. So neat!!

No nesting tendencies yet though. She's very hesitant to walk on unfamiliar textures. Took me a while to get her to go on the carpet, but now she loves it. When I left my robe in there, I made it into a donut shape and coaxed her onto it with some Temptations (what the heck do they put in those anyway? ). She decided that was pretty comfy, so I hope she has her kittens on it (it's a really old robe with an embarrassing number of holes so this would be a better use for it anyway).

Quote:
I promise!!! I'll try this evening if there's enough light (don't want to use a flash and freak her out).

Quote:
We have a kitty-food guru on our Forum,her name is Sugar something,she'll soon be on here,be prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
As for the litter box, did she pee and poop in it?
She did both at the same time. I went in around 11:30 and there was a huge pee ball in the box, plus a decent poop. Cleaned it up, and when I went in again at 2am because of all the racket she was making, there was another smaller pee and the softer poopage. Maybe she was just demanding that I get that stinky thing outta there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
you know, if you don;t want to feel exhausted...you may need to move in with her... sleeping buddies
My husband joked about doing just that. Said he'll blow up my ThermaRest for me . If it wasn't for the guilt I'd feel for leaving Aztec, I probably would! Thankfully, hubby is doing a great job making sure Aztec doesn't get too neglected (aka giving him waaaaay to many treats ).

Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
No nesting tendencies yet though. She's very hesitant to walk on unfamiliar textures. Took me a while to get her to go on the carpet, but now she loves it. When I left my robe in there, I made it into a donut shape and coaxed her onto it with some Temptations (what the heck do they put in those anyway? ). She decided that was pretty comfy, so I hope she has her kittens on it (it's a really old robe with an embarrassing number of holes so this would be a better use for it anyway).
They don't call it kitty crack for nothing.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like she's starting to settle in nicely, scm, give or take a few lost hours of sleep! for a smooth delivery! And kudos to you for giving her a chance at a new life!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

SCM,I cannot wait for pics
It must be so exciting and also a little worrysome,did you ever have a cat having babies before??
My sons landlord had 3 Siamese cats(choclate-point)and when they had a concert together,OMG what a sound
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

scm, the head butt must of felt wonderful! I'm so glad she is relaxing a bit and hope she keeps it up.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
Live well, laugh often

Kudos to you sugarcatmom, you are doing a wonderful thing .
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Cinnamon Girl is starting to settle in much better . She still cries for me when I leave her room, but there's no more thrashing around trying to get out. And what a little love-bug! Her head-butts are crazy strong, and she can't get enough of the chin-rubs and bum-pats.

She's back to eating better foods (Wellness, Nature's Variety) thankfully. I offered her a tiny bit of raw lamb this morning and she snarfed it up, no hesitation . Her poops are uber stinky still, which I suppose should be expected with all the stress, food changes, etc.

Now for the pics! First, here are some past shots of Aztec, who is being so incredibly patient and tolerant of all this upheaval in his life:

Checking out the feral cat feeding station:

And here is Cinnamon Girl, up on the cat tree:

Belly shot:

Such a sweet face:

Looking content:

Napping on my (ex)bathrobe:

Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

SCM....such a gorgeous little girl
She definately has been a house pet at one point....she accomodated so quickly (as compared to my semi feral Chloe who still looks at me with mistrust and runs if I get too close )

She is pretty big in the belly.....wonder how many are in there?

Aztec is a beauty too....I love tabbies!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
Catlover2

Gr8 pics! Aztec looks very content and curious and interested in what's going on. Cinnamon Girl looks like she's always been there. What a change! Perhaps she wasn't born feral after all, but just lost for a while? Definitely preggers, my guess is 4.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Aztec has such a unique face , very tiger like

And what a belly on that precious Cinnamon . It will be very soon, SCM. I am thinking 6 kittens

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
-

Good boy Aztec !

Cinnamon looks very comfy , and preggo ! I wonder how much time left before the kitties ?
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM

What a beautiful boy! Aztec is sooo gorgeous.

And Cinnamon Girl looks so cozy & content on your bathrobe. What a sweetie!

I hope you'll post more pictures when the kittens come!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Aztec looks like a mountain lion....just majestic and beautiful...and can someone say...pregnant....oh yah...she will be giving birth pretty soon. She looks like she will be a very loving and "in your face 24 hours a day, pet me, love me, adore me" kind of kitty.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
She definately has been a house pet at one point....she accomodated so quickly
That's certainly likely, and she was just reverting to feralism after trying to survive on the mean streets. The very tips of her ears look like they've had a touch of frostbite, and she's got some old scars on that pretty face of hers. So sad for a cat so young (my guess is she's around a year or a bit less).

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Definitely preggers, my guess is 4.
Hubby and I are taking bets! He says 3 big ones, I was thinking 4 as well, but hopefully no more than that . And boy are they squirmy! I felt a head and some feet in there. When Cinnamon lies still, it looks like they're trying to punch their way out. It would almost be creepy, if it wasn't so fascinating. I could sit and stare at her belly for hours.

Quote:
Aztec has such a unique face , very tiger like
He's my tiger all right . I hope he understands that I'm only trying to help out this girl and as much as I adore her, he's still my number one little furry dude. I had a heart to heart talk with him about her before I trapped her, which I think helped.

Quote:
And what a belly on that precious Cinnamon . It will be very soon, SCM. I am thinking 6 kittens
6! We shall see soon enough. I'm hoping it happens this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I wonder how much time left before the kitties ?
You guys will be the first to know!! Chico2 asked if I'd ever had experience with kittens being born , and no, I definitely haven't. Never thought I would, either. This is very scary for me, but also a bit exciting, I have to admit. that it all goes smoothly and Cinnamon's instincts kick in.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:24 PM
Doggie Wench

SCM, just wanted to tell you how wonderful I think you are for helping and keeping Cinnamon Girl safe .

Years ago when I took in a pregnant stray, she had her kittens under the covers in my bed. Maybe you can throw some used bedsheets in a box as well to give her more choices to where she can deliver? all goes perfectly well.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,SCM,Aztec is beautiful,looks a little like my Rocky,I too love them Tabbies

Cinnamon is just precious,beautiful,she is a very lucky girl,not having those babies outside on her own. Thank you SCM
It will be interesting to see what kind of babies she will have,will they look like her and be Siamese or be regular kitty-cats

I too have no experience with birthing cats,I hope everything goes ok,no problems
As nervy as the waiting must be,I am sure it's also very exciting
Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow! She's just beautiful! And I love her name. I'm going to give a guess at 5 kitties. Aztec is being such a good boy. I'm sure he'll get used to his new little sister soon.