Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

endangered baby sea turtles released in oil spill waters

This just upsets me soo much. Hundreds of endangered baby sea turtles were released in the gulf. Another reason why I have lost repect for humanity.

http://www.newsoxy.com/science/endan...ico-13985.html
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Well that was just brillant wasn't it!
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

oh it frustates me to know end. And to top it off it was the US fish and wildlife service and the national park service. It just blows my mind. Lost alot of repect for both services. I was even thinkng about applying to the US fish and wildife service when I graduated....not anymore now.
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
oh it frustates me to know end. And to top it off it was the US fish and wildlife service and the national park service. It just blows my mind. Lost alot of repect for both services. I was even thinkng about applying to the US fish and wildife service when I graduated....not anymore now.
You can make a difference NoahGrey. Do not give up any opportunities.
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:13 PM

I wonder if it is the same people who dug up and incubated the eggs and watched then hatch who are now releasing them?
I mean what is the point of digging up the nests to increase hatch rates if they are just going to dump them back into the oil slicked waters? Shouldn't these volunteers(?)/conservationists(?)/government workers(?) have spent their time and money on a cause that has a purpose in the end because I don't see any purpose in caring for these baby turtles just to let them go into a oil slick (on top of the other dangers they naturally face)

Pretty Dim if you ask me.

Think of the rate the endangered parents of these turtles must be dying with the slick on the water, shouldn't it be all the more important to help these babies survive? I am sure they have the means to keep them in a pools or offshore enclosures to keep them safe while the bulk of the oil is being delt with.

When one animal is harmed by a human its bad enough but when entire species are put at risk due to multiple humans lack of concern or greed is 10X worst in my eyes.

These species are being killed twice by humans ignorance now it seems....
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
When one animal is harmed by a human its bad enough but when entire species are put at risk due to multiple humans lack of concern or greed is 10X worst in my eyes.These species are being killed twice by humans ignorance now it seems....
Well said!
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

NG,I've read that hundreds of Sea-Turtles have died already,it certainly makes no sense to risk the lives of all these babies.
It's said in the paper they were hoping the babies would not reach the oilspill,but that is one huge risk to take with these little ones...
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
NG,I've read that hundreds of Sea-Turtles have died already,it certainly makes no sense to risk the lives of all these babies.
It's said in the paper they were hoping the babies would not reach the oilspill,but that is one huge risk to take with these little ones...
Baby sea turtles don't rarely survive. Alot even before they make it to the ocean after hatching. I agree, i don't understand the logic behind setting them free into oil spilled waters.

The fact that they hope that they oil will be cleaned up before the turtles make it that far is disheartning. Just a deathwish for them.

Benmax: Thanks a lot lady
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
Benmax: Thanks a lot lady
No thanks necessary NG - you are the one in the trenches. It is us to thank you.