Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 24th, 2004, 02:36 AM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

Exclamation Iams Demo In Vancouver (pne)

Attended and took part in Petas Demo (peaceful boycott)against Iams.(Vancouver BC) I feel like it was a good turnout and the overall reactions were very positive.

I was astounded at the number of people that had no clue about Iams cruel animal tests! There were 3 or 4 people in particular that I spoke with that were appalled to the point where they mentioned they were going to track down the Iams booth. This said lady, was so astounded she became angry and said she buys Iams for her cats at home. It's safe to say, that will be a thing of the past for her pets. Of course there were the people who did not want to hear about it. The ones the look at you as if your from another planet. The ones the pass by refusing the leaflet offered to them. There was one man that became annoyed as he passed me and made the remark.....don't you nuts have anything better to do with your time? I replied, actually, No, I don't as this is something that needs immediate attention. Animals are being tortured as we speak. Do you have pets at home ?
He grunted and began to walk away and said, "Well, you don't need to be doing this on MY doorstep." My only response was, Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were Mr. Renfrew. (Renfrew was the name of the street we were on) He wasn't amused. You know what I don't understand? Why some people with pets at home, didnt want to hear about it or know about it.
Does this mean that we are wrong?

Perhaps Testing is ok....but Protesting is not

However, the vast majority of response was positive and said they would NOT support Iams by purchasing their pet food.

I met some wonderful people today......and a few from "reasonably" close to where I live. I look forward to assisting and planning future events with you!
Special thanks to Allison for her emails back and forth with me!

Moral of this story..........DON'T BUY IAMS........BOYCOTT THEM INSTEAD!
REFUSE TO PURCHASE THEIR PETFOOD UNTIL THIS CRUELTY STOPS FOR GOOD.
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Everytime I read about this it turns my belly to mush .........I am glad that you are doing what you are to help ......good for you!! Keep up the good work
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree Shae,I have no need to see the video,but I stopped buying IAMS many years ago,since the food I thought was good for my cats,is nothing but crap!! I,ve actually told people in the grocery store not to buy it and why....usually it works
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

People like that don't want to know about testing, so they "shoot the messenger" for bringing it to their attention. To acknowledge it would mean they should do something about it. Ignorance or apathy? They'd rather pretend to be ignorant because apathy makes them look bad.
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Urgent!!!!!

YOU ALL NEED to go to the website and where it says sign our petition and do what it says. Print off the poster and hold your animal and the poster and get a picture and mail it to them. They are sending Iams a scrapbook. PLEASE those animals NEED your HELP!!!!!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Sheltie Mom

Oh shoot! Was that today? I'm right by Kootenay Loop, not too far from there.

It's great that it happened during the PNE. TONS of people go see the Superdogs (which are sponsored by Eukanuba/Iams). It's great that they'll see the bad side of it...instead of being brainwashed by dogs that are supposidly "fueled by Eukanuba" (*cough* I know a few of the people on the team.. I haven't spoken to someone who actually feeds Eukanuba yet)
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:03 PM

wow! what are they doing?

Hi,

I had no idea about Iams. What are they doing to these poor animals. I have never heard of this. Our last dog ate Iams.
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:10 PM

Shae, I saw it on the news, fortunately they only showed a few seconds of it. The poor beagles, all lined up, just lying there with sores, and what astonished me was they were so quiet...lethargic. Poor babies..no Iams in our house whatsover. Science dog large breed for Stella, original for Lucky, and cats get Medical (siamese, low protien vet food).
Old August 24th, 2004, 04:09 PM

If any of you are in Vancouver area or close by and would like to be contacted for any future demonstrations/protests, let me know.
Future ones will include Iams Cruelty, KFC Cruelty, Anti fur, etc and so forth.
Just email me at sharon@protectanimals.com and I'll notify you.
(or message me at www.animarightscafe.com )
Together we can get the message across!
Thanks everyone for NOT supporting Iams! You're awesome!
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:18 AM

My thanks to those of you who have emailed me requesting to be put on a notification list of future demonstrations in the Vancouver area. Of course there is no obligation whatsoever, I'll simply email you the information...date , time , place, and you say yes or no. Thats it!
A couple have inquired about stickers and fliers .yes, I will happily mail them out to you asap. Keep up the good work!
The animals would thank you I'm sure,
Sharon
Old August 27th, 2004, 06:20 PM

I Know You

Hi Shae (Sharon)whichever you prefer...well I am here like you asked. I will browse through posts in awhile. Guess what? I saw your pic on the other site, we met at that Iams demonstration!!!! COOL EH? I was the one with dark hair that asked about the animal hospital work. Too funny! I had no idea.
Anyway, I sent you an email requesting some KFC Cruelty stickers and some information about future protests but have not heard back from you so thought I would try you here. Thanks a lot Sharon. I'm bringing my daughters along to the next one too! You're awesome! Thanks for everything
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:45 PM

I dont believe Iams is doing testing on animals. Thier parent company, Proctor and Gamble, for years has apparently been doing animal testing for many of the products they are associated with. I think what we have is a pro animal company being run by an animal testing company. Does not make sense does it? When P&G bought Iams, the formulas may have changed to accomodate a lower price structure to compete with the grocery brands priced at 5.99 (example) as Iams was only available in specialty outlets. To my knowledge, when something is improved, the price goes up, not down.
Bottom line, read your labels. Hers an interesting bit of info:
Rumour has it that most veterinarinas do not receive any "nutritional" education. I have been told by "reliable sources". Kinda makes you wonder when your vet says to buy only certain brands of food.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:52 PM

I've been involved for many months regarding Iams cruelty. THEY ARE testing. They also claimed months ago, they put a halt to it and what happened? Busted again. Of course they are denying it, what else are they going to do? The public outcry now is really starting to make waves. If they have nothing to hide, they would have no problem opening the doors of their lab to the public or at least to us. Seeing is believing....I know what I saw. Anyone who cares about dogs and cats....and I DO NOT mean just activists, ANY person who cares about these animals would not take a chance. View the video for instance. NO, it wasnt altered.....The Emerg. clinic I worked at stopped selling Iams for that reason. I posted a long list of shelters that refuse to deal with that company also. This project, yes, I admit to being sensitive about.......the abuse is horrendous! Even if you're not convinced , why would you take the risk? Why give this company business if there is even a slight chance it's true? It makes me absolutely nuts when something like this goes on and people either turn a blind eye to it, don't want to get involved, or without investigating, stand by the company and deny allegations. People who do that are basically contributing to the abuse. You dont have to believe it, but for Gods sake don't support it.
Sharon
Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear123
Hi,

I had no idea about Iams. What are they doing to these poor animals. I have never heard of this. Our last dog ate Iams.
I don't think anyone has replied to you yet. I first heard about this about a year ago. Be warned, however, it is not for the faint of heart.

http://www.iamscruelty.com
Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:06 AM

Debannebal..........there were 3 or 4 different types of news reports if I am correct. I viewed 2 of them and have one here with me. Consider yourself lucky if you saw only a few moments of broadcast. The one I have here (video) from the news station is graphic and detailed...overall it gets the message across....a few discrepencies mind you with the report but all in all quite accurate. Sorry Poohbear......thought I had replied to you. Thanks Donna.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shae
Debannebal..........there were 3 or 4 different types of news reports if I am correct. I viewed 2 of them and have one here with me. Consider yourself lucky if you saw only a few moments of broadcast. The one I have here (video) from the news station is graphic and detailed...overall it gets the message across....a few discrepencies mind you with the report but all in all quite accurate. Sorry Poohbear......thought I had replied to you. Thanks Donna.
No probs...the more people that know the more pressure that will be put on these *insert vulgar profanity* at Iams.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:52 PM

Is Iams a parent company of Eukanuba???? I thought that they were seperate companies. But when I went to the Iams website to find out if they have actually released any statements, it connects you as well to Eukanuba.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:59 PM

Eukanuba/ Iams.............yep, says it right on the bags......basically, one of the same.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:19 PM

Dear Yvonne:

Thank you for sharing your concerns. At Iams, we care about the nutrition of all dogs (and cats). This is not about supporting any specific group or organization. This is about not denying any dogs our high quality nutrition. We feed shelter dogs, personal pets, police dogs, etc. We support many events that increase awareness of good nutrition and promote the feeding of our products. This isn't about the "organization;" this is about offer high quality nutrition to all dogs.

Please contact us anytime through our E-mail Us Now page located on our web sites at www.iams.com or www.eukanuba.com. We would also welcome your call Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time at 800-525-4267.

I hope we can continue to be of service to you. Thanks for contacting Iams!

Sincerely,

Louise

Iams Consumer Care, North America

The Iams Company is proud of having over 50 years of nutritional excellence, dedicated to enhancing the well-being of dogs and cats by providing world-class quality foods and pet care products. Iams and Eukanuba are registered trademarks of The Iams Company.

Letter I recieved in response to the e-mail I sent to them... Bunch of Bs if you ask me!
Old September 3rd, 2004, 03:21 PM

Yes, it IS! They dont even take the time to read your letters. They simply stuff their pre-written photocopies into return envelopes! As I said before.....we should compile ALL our letters received from them and send them back in one envelope.....wanna bet we'll get a copy of the same letter back? *LOL*
They very simply cannot, and I repeat, CANNOT justify what they are doing! They refuse to open their laboratory doors to the public or even to a few of us activists to look around. If nothing to hide, you'd think they'd be eager to prove it to us so we'll leave them alone!
Old September 3rd, 2004, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

When I wrote them,I never got a letter back.They must be feeling the pressure,at least in their pocket-book.Nobody I know feeds their animals either Eukanuba or Iams and it was at one time popular.
There are plenty of excellent foods out there for your dog/cat,some a little more pricey,but it's all about the health of the animal you love.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 03:54 PM

Chico.....you are so so right!
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:47 PM

Exclamation

Hi members! I need a favor from you all ok? I was listening to our local radio stn .... JRFM, when I heard Karen Daniels promoting Crap Pet Food testing company IAMS. Would you all please assist me in sending her emails just explaining what Iams does or just slam the stn for promoting Iams? She actually went on and on about how she feeds Iams to her cats and how much they love the food. How pleased she is with the product and then finishes by saying something to the effect of go out and buy Iams!!!! Obviously Iams is in need of supporters. I would really be grateful if you would all do this and fwd any replies you get back to me at sharon@protectanimals.com or my yahoo messenger midnight_orchid2003 is my yahoo id. remember to add www.iamscruelty.com to your letters.

Radio email addy's......

Email Karen at kdaniels@jrfm.com

and ADMIN @ cjjr@jrfm.com

I owe you guys one! Thanks one behalf of our dogs and cats! ....Sharon
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:15 PM
banned user

Iam so sorry

I honestly didnt know what was going on at Iams until I saw their website and watched the videos..I had a hard time viewing all the scenes,because my eyes were blurred from tears

I have so much trouble believing that in this day and age,with the technology that we have,that we humans need to use these animals for testing.Its not without irony,that animals are being used to test food for other animals.

I was buying Iams moist puppy food for Hannah,but will now stop and will never buy a single Iams product ever again.Iam sure my vet would be glad to hear about this,if he hasnt already,as he is a huge animal advocate

Since these animals have no voice of their own,then it is up to us to speak for them.It may be too late to save the lives of some,but never too late to save the lives of others.