Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 19th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Allergies Please help!!

Hey guys hope you can help In the pictures you will see my 4 yr old Her name is Jerzy. She has always had allergies around her eyes they have tested her for mange a million times and nothing. I have put her on special diets for the past 3 yrs. When she was a puppy I fed her Nutro choice Lamb and rice then went to the vet they put her on Purina I forget the letters that dident work. Then science ZD that stuff made her sick as hell now I feed her Purina LA she loves the food but the allergies around her eyes are the same granted I give her the occasional snack here and there never human food. I love my dog and sucks to watch her be uncomfortable. and also her duct glands in her eyes gets swollen and after she eats her face gets itchy PLEASE HELP!!! For some reason I can't upload the photos man I need help from all angles lol
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Swift Tribe

have you looked into a home made, raw or grain free diet??

we have a dog and 4 cats on a raw, meat only diet and its working quite well. handsome, glossy, energetic and healthy.

have you also tried *just* lamb and rice? home cooked?? for a few weeks to see if that doesnt help?

also telling us what kinds of tests your vet did??

and human food isnt bad for them LOL!!

do some googling around on homemade diets and raw diets and see if thats somethign you would be comfortable with. im too lazy for a homemade which is why we feed raw but if you dotn feel comfortable with raw, homemade/cooked might be for you.

you ahve to resize the pics to under 100k i think. or you could upload them to something like photobucket and drop a link to here

sorry to be so abrupt, last post for the night!!! WE WANT PICS!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:20 PM
-

If she was ok with the Lamb and rice before your vet made you swith , I would go back to the Lamb and rice one.
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:28 AM
-

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice

Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Whole Brown Rice, Dried Egg Product, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.

Science Diet ZD Ingredients

Starch, Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Soybean Oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), Hydrolyzed Chicken, Powdered Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), DL-Methionine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Beta-Carotene.

Purina LA Ingredients

Brewers rice, salmon meal, trout, canola meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brewers dried yeast, canola oil preserved with TBHQ, potassium chloride, fish oil, corn oil preserved with TBHQ, salt, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, taurine, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, ascorbic acid, niacin, calcium carbonate, beta-carotene, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

No wonder she got sick on the ZD I would try switching her to a grain free kibble like Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com).

ORIJEN ADULT

FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS
Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs, turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory root, licorice root, tumeric root, funugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin.

ORIJEN 6 FISH

FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS
Fresh salmon (includes chinook. coho and sockeye species), salmon meal, russet potato, herring meal, fresh lake whitefish, sweet potato, fresh lake trout, fresh Northern walleye, freshwater cod, fresh herring, sunflower oil, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherals, a natural source of vitamin E), sun-cured alfalfa, dried sea vegetables (brown kelp, Irish moss, dulse and bladder wrack), leeks, psyllium, crab shell, rosemary, lecithin, apples, black currants..

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory root (FOS), licorice root, fennel seed, zea mays, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Enterococcus faecium fermentation product..

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:06 AM

The lamb and rice was not good for her either. I have never gotten her the allergy test just can't afford that right now. Does anyone have an e-mail I can send the pics to ???
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Hope this works!!!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...o/IMG_3216.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...o/IMG_3227.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...o/IMG_3220.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...o/IMG_3214.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...o/IMG_3225.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c..._photo/010.jpg

Last edited by Jerzy; September 20th, 2007 at 08:47 AM. Reason: More pictures
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Doggie Wench

Poor Jerzy . I would give the Orijen a try as well.

By any chance, does Jerzy have spots of fur missing from any other places on her. For example, inner legs, stomach, armpits?
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Poor Jerzy . I would give the Orijen a try as well.

By any chance, does Jerzy have spots of fur missing from any other places on her. For example, inner legs, stomach, armpits?
She used to but with this food no. Her gland in her eyelid gets swollen like a little ballon at least once a year... She is the best dog in the best shape she's got no body fat shes really in shape but her eyes are making her uncomfortable. I have also used pertnizone and they gave her a shot of cortizone at her last pet visit it goes away for like a week and comes back. I hate putting drugs in her..
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzy View Post
I hate putting drugs in her..
I don't blame you. Probably why changing her diet to a better brand is a good idea. Are you able to get Orijen in your area? You won't find it at chain stores but most likely in small holistic-type pet food places.
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Doggie Wench

Forgot to add, when you bathe her, don't use any shampoos with perfume or dyes, especially near her face. Use a hypo-allergenic formula.
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Swift Tribe

so somethign we found out- Mister is allergic to chicken and fleas. when we had them both going on at the same time he woudl react to both but we got rid of the fleas and as long as we dont feed chicken more than 2 or 3 times a week he is fine but if we feed MORE than 2 or 3 times a week then he reacts again.

your beautiful, pitiful little pooch there may have a grass pollen allergy or a tree pollen.... whatever it is pollinating at the time and then a food intolerance could turn into a full blown allergy. was that too confusing?? im not saying this well... anyway... im trying to say that she may have 2 allergies that feed on each other. fix one and the other should, could be fine. it sounds like whatever it is cycles if she only puffs up really bad once a year.

try a grain free kibble, if that doesnt work, go to a very simple home cooked or a raw. in the pet food forum there is a list of different foods and whats in them. do a google to see whats available in your area.

and keep us posted!! more pics please?? jupming and leaping pics seem to be a bg hit along with cuddling pics.... mouth hanging open...

-ashley
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:36 AM

I'm gonna look up that food right away. I'll put more pics up tommorrow thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.