Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 4th, 2014, 05:15 PM

Lumps and Sores on Paws

Hi,

I have a 6 yr old chocolate lab (purebred) named Milo. I've noticed something similar. He get large red puss-filled sores between his toes. Today however I looked at the bottom of his feet and noticed that his pads between the toes are completely red and raw (the skin looks like it's peeling) and a little white and swollen. His pads have always been dry and a little cracked but it's never caused him discomfort. We put Shea butter on them in the winter. He's sore as he limps very badly. It's currently on his right foot on the inside and outside toes/pads.

My vet suspected toe cysts as it she said it looked liked a typical presentation, however she never checked his pads. It seems to go away and them come back. It's been going on for about a year now. Do toe cysts usually involve the pads and are they so sore that he would be unable to walk without limping?

The vet also suspects a hypo active thyroid as he is often lethargic, cannot lose weight, and his skin and fur is extremely dry and dull. He has an appointment with the vet tomorrow for blood tests but I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced this with toe cysts? Anyone every had the same symptoms in their dog?

Please help! I can't bear to watch him so sore

Thank you I advance to everyone!
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Senior Contributor

If it's the bottom of the pads, it sounds like burn from hot concrete. If it's the skin between the pads, this can be from several things - often they will lick it themselves and make it red. Triggers can be food sensitivities/allergies, or grass allergies too. Very often, it develops into an infection.

For the red toe cyts on my former dogs, I used to use peroxide on them once, and then they would clear up, they were usually caused by trauma while running in the fields, though when my girl was young, corn in her diet would trigger the paw licking. For the girl I have now, she has extensive allergies that causes them, and use Entederm creme on them (antibacterial, antifungal, and a bit of steroid). BUT, they may be a nasty form of a staph infection if they don't respond quickly to standard care.