Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 20th, 2005, 01:13 AM

Eating plastic

My puppy ate a plastic bag (it had feta cheese flavour on it) and luckily it came back up...but he vomitted it up 3 days later. I didn't even think that was possible!? Maybe it was another bag! I watched him carefully to make sure he was eliminating and in no pain...he seemed okay. I'm really hoping that he will learn not to gobble up things like that. He sees me coming for it and wolfs anything down so I can't get it away.

Any thoughts on him eating things that are bad for him? We now have everything away from reach but he is right there anytime something falls. It seems he eats anything too. Training is not going well in this area (he only drops it when there is a better food reward at hand - difficult to dig out that chunk of cheese before he eats something!).
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:16 AM

I keep my doggies out of the kitchen if I'm working with something that can make them sick. They know "Out of the kitchen" for times like that. I think you also need to work on "leave it".
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I think you also need to work on "leave it".
I have to agree with this.To me this is a very important command.This is what I have taught all my dogs as pups.And I have also taught them the "take it" command.This gives them the ok to have it.I can leave a piece of steak on the floor and Tron will not touch it.Mind you the cats will....

What you can do is put your pup in a situation for the leave it.Say you drop a piece of toast.He goes for it,you say his name and then the "leave it"...This will take some time for him to pick up the command.But just remember if he does leave it,praise him.
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Sorry about the category...oops

Thanks for the advice!

I have been working on stay as an all purpose command. Ex: "stay" then put food in his dish. Then "ok" eat.

Can I somehow build on this to become "leave it"?
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM
-

You don't want to use leave it for things they are going to get.
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

'Leave it' is soooo important but so is the 'drop it' command.
We use 'leave it' for everything - because all things belong to me. We set the dogs up and put our dinner plates on the floor and teach them to give it a wide field of respect. We drop things right in front of them and they don't try to grab it first. We place cookies on their feet and they don't take it unless they are given the 'okay'. 'Leave it' can be life saving.
If your dog swallows something bad and it is safe to regurgitate it up again - use 10cc of hydrogen peroxide per 10 lbs of body wt. take them outside and wait a few minutes and it should come back up. Otherwise use a dose of highly concentrated salt water and give him 10cc, wait a few more minutes and you should see some activity to regurgitate the item.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Yeah, I forgot the "drop it". That's my favorite command of all time. My doggies also know "open", which makes them stop moving and loosen their jaw so we can open it (that one took a while)..
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:12 PM

Love the leave it command especially with the cookies on the feet trick. We use leave it for food but also when our puppy bugs the cats. We use stay alot but we also use the WAIT command when exiting the house and car. To get your dog to leave it, hold the back of your dogs collar> Place and enticing treat or toy in front of him and tell him to LEAVE IT in a stronger authoritive voice. Do not allow him to get the treat. If he backs away and or relaxes, give him your release word (like o.k) in a happy tone and allow him to have the treat. If he grabs to treat and doesn't leave it tell him WRONG and start over making sure you hold him back. Gradually increase the time you make your dog wait before giving the release word and gradually reduce the distance between the dog and the treat. This usually works.
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

We would take that a step further.
Better to have him on the leash to guide and/or correct the behavior. Do not let him make the mistake of stealing the treat - then he learns stealing works. He may never get the item and I don't want him to assume he will. What if its a pill? or your steak you're going to wash off and cook up?
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended