Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Pet Insurance - PetSecure or PetCare?

My puppy has 6 wks of free petsecure insurance on her with her puppy vet plan. I have already had to use it. It ends the beginning of Nov 08. I just had her spayed & microchipped. With her microchip there is 45 days worth of free pet insurance from PetCare. Which pet insurance is better? I am going to continue on with pet insurance, b/c it already has helped when she got a gastro & allergic reaction in Sept. Would like to hear people's opinions on them? Finding it hard to figure out which one is better.
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

We use petsecure and i think its a wonderful insurance company for a pet.. Great coverage
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:51 AM

I use PetPlan and have put in two claims. The first one (for a hot spot) was covered, except for the annual deductible and I just submitted the second (for all the tests etc when Buster ate raisins). I haven't received anything yet.

So far, I am satisfied with the Plan, although I only have the basic, so they don't cover spay/neuter, annual checkup or shots. I could have taken the more expensive plan which would cover everything, but I took it for emergencies only.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Stick with what you know. Why go to another company? You already know Pet care isn't a scam. It helped you already! I'd say stick with the company that has already been there for you rather than a different company that you have no background with and that "might" be there for you. Pet care all the way.
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM

I think I am going to go with the PetSecure. It seems to be more well known in Canada. This is the company that I had the first claim thru. But with her claim I had to pay up front first and then I got a credit at the vet. They forgot to fax in the paperwork, so when we went in for an emergency they couldn't find it. So, I use my free office visit voucher for the first one. But, I had to go back b/c she had a reaction to the medication and it was causing a problem with her eyes. Her eyes are good now.
I did inquire about the pet insurance and they look into it. Found out that I was right and they put a credit for 80% of the bill on my account.
Now, I have received my enrollment papers from PetSecure and they are willing to waiver the enrollment fee, if I continue with them. I am planning to go with plan 1, but would like to know can you change plans if the pet gets older, etc. Has anyone has experience with this?
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM

You can change the plan when your pet is older, however, be aware that at a certain age (I think it's 6, but you should check this for yourself), they will require your pet to have a complete physical, including blood screening in order to increase coverage. Also, they may not cover pre-existing conditions (those that popped up after you got your initial plan), to the same level as new conditions.
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Tks for the info, planning to call them later the week.
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM

I'm a little biased in my own opinion because I work for Pet Health which is partners with Pet Care Ins. What I suggest is if you must is to contact Pet Ins and ask them some questions. Tests them. Ask them why their service is best and see if there are any offers/deals for you. Then I'd call the other companies and do the same. It's all about competition these days between companies for prices, policies, etc..
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:25 PM

Pet Secure Rip off…Not my fault dog is ill…….

:I am glad you only had to use it twice…i got my dog as a pup 8 weeks old.bought pet insurance with Pet Secure….my dog has had numerous problems with his health and today I received a letter from Pet Secure informing me they are reducing the 80% coverage to 60%…it is in fine print in the brochure ..They do not reduce the premium as a matter of fact they increase it due to inflation…If you read all the adverts on it …it's protect your dog for life…and was told when I purchased it …oh get the premium coverage because he is a pup….so it's the luck of the draw I have a dog that has been very ill and we have just now found out he has a bowel disease and will be treated with meds and strict diet…so if my dog needs to go to the Dr. it will cost me an additional 20% more out of my pocket plus the top premium cost…..does that seem fair?
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:22 AM

Hi Morgan! My dog had a lot of digestive problems too and vet thought it was a bowel disease... Did they do some tests for your dog to say so? Because I did some research and found the perfect recipe for my dog...after 3 years of searching what could help her...Finally! I learned a lot! She does not have these symptoms anymore since she eats her new diet. Fell free to ask me if you want some info!
:0)
And about the topic of insurance, I am with PetSecure... Had one claim to make and they already modified my file for their benefit! I was sceptic ....so not surprised! Thinking about cancelling everything.... Did not make a choice yet...
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:10 AM

I was just taling about pet insurance the other day with a friend as I've looked into it in the past. With the number of pets I had at the time it was too much per month for me to pay.

I did think of an alternative though for those of us who don't want to give our money to a pet insurance company. If you have the self control you could always set up a pet costs savings account and just put in what you can when you can. Even if it was just $20 a month it would help cover some of the cost for regular visits.

I've started saving for the adoption fee and initial vet costs for the kittens I plan on getting in November and am surprised by how much I've been able to squirrel away.
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24petgirl View Post
Stick with what you know. Why go to another company? You already know Pet care isn't a scam. It helped you already! I'd say stick with the company that has already been there for you rather than a different company that you have no background with and that "might" be there for you. Pet care all the way.
Yeah if the OP go to another company it mostly will not cover any preexisting condition the puppy has or had,. Pets insurance work like people insurance , they both want to made $$$.
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Willing cat servant

IMO And I have PetSecure the best is to have your insurance with any company and a savings account with some good amount because IF need comes you need someone to have your back. In this case your savings. Because although the insurance company will give you the money eventually at the time of need you'll have cash to pay the money and once your claim goes through you can deposit that money back in that savings account for your pets.