Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM

Unhappy letting go

I have a 13 yr old large mix breed dog. He has begun to lose weight, and can hardly hear anything.Everything seems to scare him now. I know I have a decision to make and it's gonna be hard. What I need to find out is if there is some kind of pill (or shot) that i can give to him at home. Taking him to a shelter, (all thats available where I live) breaks my heart to think of it. I know he would want to be home.Any information about this would be so greatly appreciated.:sad:
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so very sorry to hear about your dog. Is there some way u can get a vet to make a house call? Is there a vet that comes to the shelter every so often that could come to your home? We had one of our dogs put to sleep at home as he didn't like the vets.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:23 AM
-

I am very sorry to hear about your old boy. :sad:

When was the last time he had any blood work done at the vet?

A 13 year old dog should be having check-ups at least once a year and, preferably twice or more if needed.

Perhaps it is something that is easily treatable as losing weight and hearing loss at that age is quite common.

I hope you will take him to your vet before your final decision. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:40 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I doubt there would be anything you could humanely administer at home, nooologic. Most of the substances used are controlled. You'd need to go through a vet, anyway, so that's probably your next step. Please don't drop him off at the shelter--after all those years the best gift you can give him is to be with him when he passes.

Have you had your dog checked over by a vet? I agree with rainbow--if you haven't had bloodwork done recently, maybe a blood panel would be a good idea before you make any decision.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. It's never an easy decision to make

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooologic View Post
I have a 13 yr old large mix breed dog. He has begun to lose weight, and can hardly hear anything.Everything seems to scare him now. I know I have a decision to make and it's gonna be hard. What I need to find out is if there is some kind of pill (or shot) that i can give to him at home. Taking him to a shelter, (all thats available where I live) breaks my heart to think of it. I know he would want to be home.Any information about this would be so greatly appreciated.:sad:
Please contact a vet, your vet and consult this situation. It is for your well being as his.
This is a hard choice to make. In my life, the most difficult and heart wrenching I have been through and I have worked with animals for 30 years...they are your kids. If this is his time, and they will tell you, do it, call, have support in the way of friends/family.
If you are in the states, contact your local Humane Society or Animal Control.

Please call your vet and discuss options. I can feel your pain.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:31 AM

So sorry for what you are going through. I recently went through it and through all the pain and tears and guilt and indecision, the only thing that remains a source of comfort was that i held him tight and was there with him in the end. After all the unconditional love over the years be it 13 in your case or 2 in mine, being there is not just the right thing to do .... its the only thing to do.
I received such great counselling and support from this site and through their help and direction i found the strength to be strong for my boy.
I wish you strength in your decision.
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:35 AM

I am in a similar way....

First, I'm so sorry your boy is not well...I am in a similar position...my poor old dog is declining day by day now. Shadow will be 14 on the 14th of February, but I'm not so sure she will make it. Left by tenants in a basement apartment that we rent out when she was only one year old, she has been a faithful and loving companion for 13 years.
I agree with others on here, please have the vet examine her before you make a decision, and even if you find out you will indeed have to put him down, perhaps there is still a few weeks or months, maybe longer, before you will have to. Perhaps the vet will find, after examining him, that he can be helped...that would be be encouraging...
With Shadow, I have taken her to the vet and had bloodwork and exrays done. It all came back showing nothing of significance, even though she has lost her appetite, can't keep her food down, and is losing weight rapidly. The vet said to take her home and keep her comfortable. I am feeding her anything that she will eat, which is hardly anything at all. Right now she is able to keep down some baked ground chicken and baked ground turkey.
She has started to need to go out a few times during the night...all in all it looks like it is some kind of age related systemic failure. I don't know if I will have to put her down, I will if she shows she is suffering, but I am hoping she will pass away naturally. An elderly cat I had, passed away at eighteen and a half, and he went naturally..and quite peacefully, he died in my arms.
Please know that I understand what you are going through...as most of us here do, I believe. Stay strong for your faithful friend.
Brenda-May