Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM

Getting spayed ???

Well we do have 3 females. The vet in Germany told us to wait till they were at least once in the heat before we spay them. Like life goes whenever we could something came between ( army life.... ). Now we ready, settled and of course thinking about it again! I dont wanna breed them and the little one is just 6 month. If i do it i wanna do all at the same time because, might be easier for them!
Alot ppl tell me i shouldnt do it because i dont have a male dog here and the dogs are inside dogs, the backyard is fenced. I never let them together with male dogs when its the right time and im always there anyways. And i do feel sorry for them being in pain BUT i dont want to risk anything! Im quiet confused now!
would be nice to hear what the member here have to say!

Lil
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Geek Club CEO

For starters, there are different opinions about "when" is the right time to spay a dog. Some people (myself included) think there are health benefits, especially for large/giant breed dogs, to wait until the dog is about 18 months old. Others are proponents of spaying all dogs at about 6 months. It's a decision that would be best discussed with your vet. I think most of us here would agree that spaying at SOME point is best for the dog; it helps significantly reduce the likelihood of certain cancers, and really, there's no reason for a dog to endure going through several heats a year if she is not being bred (not to mention it's messy for you!) It's a very safe, routine procedure; complications of any kind are extremely rare if your dog is otherwise healthy.

As for getting them all done at the same time, I don't think it will make it easier on anybody, other than you (fewer trips to the vet!). The recovery is very quick; most females are back to their old selves within a day or two. Although, if your girls are rough-n-tumble players, and it's going to be difficult to keep anyone who recently had surgery quiet and separated from the others, then getting them done at the same time might be a good solution.

As for keeping them away from males...well, another visitor to the site today told us that her 10 month old puppy was impregnated by a male dog who JUMPED OVER HER FENCE. Accidents can, and obviously do, happen, and a fence is not an adequate protection from males, who will jump, climb, and dig under fences to get at a female in heat. The only way to be certain is to have your dog on a leash at all times for several weeks during the heat period.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM

My husky id a really proud dog and the leader, im scared that she will not be good with the "im hurt and they not " situation and with sky im not sure that she will leave her alone ( she is just a usual hyper puppy ), of course i could separate them but they so used to be together and with us.... i care less about the trips to the vet but i do care probably way too much for my dogs!

Im not even sure that having them on the leash would be so safe ( luna and max are together in heat.... ) because we have dog owners who send their dogs for a walk ALONE! Dont get me wrong, i can deal with mine BUT im not sure to be able to stop a stranger dog getting on top!

Im just so scared to see them hurt.... im such a baby

lil
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Geek Club CEO

In my opinion, an pregnancy holds FAR many more risks of injury, illness, even death, than the spay surgery.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM

I have never thought about it or read in it since i could never breed ( i would keep all the pup's or stalk the new owner ).
But i have seen as a teenager what can happen just during the "making it".
The dogs were so badly in pain ( my opinion ) but the breeder ( a high class breeder ) said they will be ok BUT for me it was bad!
So i will talk to my vet about a good time because of sky and weather and i will have to do some reading
thanks for your opinion
lil
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I have only had males(GSDs), and they were done at 6 months. And this from my neuter contract from my breeder..And I will be honest and say that having it done at this age did not change them in anyway..People have said it does something to their bones. My current is 13.

My nephew just got their 7 month old female GSD done...My sister got her Sibes done at 6 months...Her first Sibe who passed away in Oct was 13. She was on a spay contract..Her current 2 are 12 and going strong.

The pain is only for a bit..They will get over it...
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:01 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
In my opinion, an pregnancy holds FAR many more risks of injury, illness, even death, than the spay surgery.
pregnancy , pyometra (fatal) mammory cancer .... yep , spay your girls !
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM
One dog at a time...

I got two of my girls, Laci and Lodi (sisters/littermates), spayed at the same time when they were 6 1/2 months old. I had an appointment to get them spayed at 6 months old but Laci got sick so we had to wait 2 weeks and during that 2 week time frame, Lodi came in heat. I don't know why anyone would want to put up with that for years! Messy, messy. I got them both done at the same time so they would both feel "bad" together and one wouldn't be trying to play with the one who felt bad. I don't believe that the surgery is that painful for them and the incision, at least on my girls, was only about 1 1/2" long - very small (they weighed about 15-20 pounds). The benefits of spaying far outweigh any risks and the risks of pregnancy, especially unplanned, can be high. Intact male dogs are VERY persistent to get to a female in heat and can be dangerous to your female or even you. When I was a child, we had a female that came in heat and there were at least a dozen males fighting over her and when we tried to get her away from them, they attacked the broom my mom was using to get them away. That was a very scary situation. Good luck with your decision!
See this post "10 month old dog new pregnancy"

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!

Last edited by My Lodi Girl; January 10th, 2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added post to see
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil View Post
Now we ready, settled and of course thinking about it again! I never let them together with male dogs when its the right time and im always there anyways. And i do feel sorry for them being in pain BUT i dont want to risk anything! Im quiet confused now!l
Now that your settled IMO now would be a time. You'd be surprised how quick a male can get onto your property when a female is in heat and if you think your confused now how do you think you'll be with 10 puppies added to the mix I'm also with Bendyfootan pregnancy holds FAR many more risks of injury, illness, even death, than the spay surgery.

Excellent that your going to speak with your vet
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM

its funny... the ppl from germany call me a bad person because i wanna do it and everyone here tells me to do it! But i will have no other choice! Its not just that they could come in my yard or the dogs find a way out.... we have dogs walking them self and they are ready to go......