Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet encyclopedia - Dog - cat - pet encyclopedia

Old January 28th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Contributor

diarrhea dogs

Diarrhea in dogs does occurs sometimes as a result of food changes, foods that do not agree with, bacteria or internal parasites.

The biggest danger with diarrhea is dehydration which can lead to death, so can be very serious.

Often pet owners have no idea when or if they should seek vet attention.

so as a guide

any puppy 6 months or younger --seek vet advice immediately

any senior dogs,-- seek vet advice immediately

any dog with an existing medical condition-- seek vet advice immediately

any dog that has stopped or has decreased water comsumption --seek vet advice immediately

any signs of blood --seek vet advice immediately

if the dog is acting very quiet, tired or appears ill --seek vet advice immediately

in a healthy acting pup 6 months to a year that is drinking well , if it continues beyond 24 hours --seek vet advice immediately, phone calls to your vet are free, so ask for feeding caring advice to help you thru

in a healthy acting adult that is drinking well once it hits 3 days --seek vet advice immediately if it is the 1st or 2nd day on a thursday afternoon better to call the vet and get your dog in Friday or Saturday morning then chance having it lead into the weekend when your vet is not available again phone calls to your vet are free, so ask for feeding caring advice to help you thru

If the dog does clear up on its own or has repeated bouts get a stool sample and take to the vet for testing to rule out intestinal parasites or bacteria, If the dog is having repeated bouts than the dog should be seen by a vet to determine why, because that is not normal
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:26 AM

Can try home made remedies like this!

RECIPE for early onset diarrhea,

Pepto Bismol every 3 - 4 hours. (You will need a syringe... good luck!)
liquid pink Pepto 1/2 to a tsp each time, for every 10lbs of dog

PEPTO... still highly recommended by the vets. For puppies over 6 weeks old... (for younger pups, call your Vet)

2nd Day: (or first day with puppies)

Boil rice - 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, 1 chicken breast... the chicken flavor permeates the rice, when you cook it together making them LIKE to eat it. (You can use Rice Pablum). Feed ONLY the rice mixture, for the first day after fasting. REMEMBER, if your dog has secondary Diarrhea. Uncontrolled watery squirts, YOU MUST get fluids into him/her. This can be done by syringe, or intravenously.

Another vet recommends a little bit of low fat plain yogurt and a little bit of lot fat cottage cheese is added. CANNED Pumpkin is also known to help treat diarrhea.
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Lightbulb Gatorade

This is from a report I have called Vet's Best Home Remedies published in 2001 from the editors of PETS, PART OF THE FAMILY. I have never used this (no need) but here is what it says: Since diarrhea can rapidly deplete essential fluids from the body, be sure to keep your pet's water dish full when she's suffering from this condition. It's also a good idea to fill a separate bowl with Gatorade, suggests Ralph Womer, DVM, a veterinarian in private practice in Auburn, AL. Such sport drinks will help replenish minerals her body needs, such as potassium and sodium. (Fruit punch seems to be pet's favorite flavor.) 'Me talking here'---Does this stuff have a lot of sugar in it? If so, I wouldn't want to make a habit of this. (diabetes and such---but suppose it would be okay for this purpose if doesn't happen too often)
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM

Somedogs will drink alot of water during the summer, and sometimes it gives them the runs!

Pumpkin(RAW, uncooked, 100%) also helps get rid of loose stools. as well as if you give too much, it gives it to them!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:53 PM

Max had the runs all the time! The Vet couldn't do much, the only food what helped a little bit was science diet BUT it was not "perfect".
The next problem was, she couldn't eat rice potatoes NOTHING.
The only thing what really helped her to get it somehow under control was feeding her bones!

We now feed the bones and raw food diet and Max is fine! She can eat Potatoes now ( never uncooked thats not good at all ) and haven't been at the vet since!

So i would say bones are a good way to help against the run, i would recommend soup bones RAW in that case!
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:36 AM

Seeds...

My labs get this regularly. Seeds! put seeds in their regular food. That seems to help a lot.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Pumpkin works for both constipation as well as the runs. Depending on the size of your dog Immodium works great I would imagine the kids version for smaller dogs but call your vet for dosage
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the tips! We had a issue with this.. this summer and it turned out to be Giardia. Definitely needed Vet Help.

I wouldn't have known about Pepto or Pumpkin.. actually I would never give Human meds just cause I know there are some that are dangerous. Is there a list anywhere of Human meds that are okay to give to pets?!?

Thanks in advance.
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Pepto is fine for dogs the vets recommend it and the pumpkin is the best thing and natural which I like. Here is a link for drugs that are safe and not safe for pets. http://www.diamondpaws.com/health/drugs.htm
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM
owned by dobes since 1975

sometimes loose stools can be a result of a food allergy/sensitivity.

i have know of a few dogs whose stools firmed up when they were fed a different brand/type of food.

my Pitty was very sensitive to corn and wheat, once on a dog food without either ingredient.....no more problems!

There is a herb called Slippery Elm Bark powder that is one of the best herbs for treating any digestive disorder....google it and check it out. it is very safe and effective.